Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Dont Become A Cop"

As its been said, some people know what they are talking about, some people give the impression they know what they are talking.

Ive worked the deepest urban shithole for a while now and JY has no understanding of what hes talkin about. He makes one or two points, by accident presumably, and the rest is nonesense.

Police work is what you make it. When I got on an old salty sgt, with 35yrs in the shit told me that I signed up for the best worst shit show on the planet.

Nyeti is right, situational awareness is basically everything in LE. It doesnt just apply to violence, it applies to everything.

Police work is not blue collar anymore. Thoae wanting to get into need degrees, they need qualifications, they need experience in life. Gone are the days you can walk out of high school and get into the academy.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    There is a massive lack of people driven by working to be a nobel profession and treating it like a profession rather than a job.
    A friend of mine actually said in his interview that he wanted a job with good benefits. If I'd have been on the interview board I would have voted thumbs down. Amazingly they hired him.

I only made it to 53 seconds but here's my take. Will the chiefs and the public love you you? Not so much, but who cares? If you feel like you're called to any profession the only thing you can control is yourself. Do the best you can without fear of what will happen to you professionally. Sometimes you do the right thing and not only do you not get thanks, you get chewed on. I think in part because people who are unafraid to do what's right scare the nutless. There were times I didn't know whether to be pissed or laugh uncontrollably at the absurdity of it all. In the end you suck it up and drive on. And it doesn't just happen in the PD, so be prepared no matter what your profession.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

"I've been fired four times." Any idea as to the common denominator there Jimmy?

I swear, every time Jimmy Yay Yay says one thing that seems to make sense he can't stop there and the pissy man-child feces just keep rolling out of his pie hole.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I try not to think about Yeager.
    This is good life advice. Even when he's right 10 percent of the time you get 90 percent of verbal diarrhea with it. I wouldn't trust him if he said it was raining while we stood in a heavy downpour.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    As its been said, some people know what they are talking about, some people give the impression they know what they are talking.

Ive worked the deepest urban shithole for a while now and JY has no understanding of what hes talkin about. He makes one or two points, by accident presumably, and the rest is nonesense.

Police work is what you make it. When I got on an old salty sgt, with 35yrs in the shit told me that I signed up for the best worst shit show on the planet.

Nyeti is right, situational awareness is basically everything in LE. It doesnt just apply to violence, it applies to everything.

Police work is not blue collar anymore. Thoae wanting to get into need degrees, they need qualifications, they need experience in life. Gone are the days you can walk out of high school and get into the academy.
    There are several tidbits of gold in this post. I was the first person ever recruited off a college campus at my agency. I am sure that experiment shocked the department in the "that isn't what we expected", as I was also the first person to say in the interview "I want to put predatory animals in cages" instead of the normal "I want to help people". When I sat in the High School auditorium full of people trying to get 6 jobs, a ton were military guys. They got slain on things like the written exam and many were I'll prepared for how to do an interview. Things have gotten FAR worse in the last 25 years as to what LE agencies want. Reality-current combat vets are FAR more prepared for LE work than current college students-period. But, being this is real life in which common sense in governemnt run agencies doesn't make a bit of sense, that doesn't matter. It is not that some idiot is sitting in an office going "I don't want warriors as cops", the problem is that some idiot in an office has a set of criteria they want for cops that doesn't include being in the military and being a warrior is not on the list. Do guys who are James Yeager's fantasy warriors have a single skillset that is good to have....yes. Is being a "warrior" the only thing that makes a good cop....not even close. If you cannot write a police report that is acceptable to a district attorney with 8 years of college behind them, and a Judge with likely more, then your warrior skills do not matter. Unlike my era, the detectives who are reviewing your reports are also college graduates (when I started I had a closed door counseling session with our watch commander because he literally could not read my reports without a dictionary). How does being a warrior help with figuring out complex legal codes and legal theory? If you cannot decipher a Supreme Court decision, you will have problems with building solid cases and in legally applying all your bad ass warriorness. The people who are hiring police these days do not care about your ability shoot, fight,drive, and deal with bad people. They should, but they don't. The problem is not with warriors, the problem is that the military folks have been busy doing real life crap that interferes with checking the boxes that some desk jockey thinks is important in cop work. Society needs to do a better job of preparing soldiers to enter the policing field, just like any other job field. Like many jobs,mthe hiring criteria does not neccesarily equate to what actually makes a successful person in that field. Keep in mind that in cop world, 10% of the cops out there are doing 90% of the "warrior stuff". In a rural town of 600 people.....I would imagine that there was not a lot of warrior stuff being needed, which may have been James "I am a warrior" (except when people start shooting where he is a leave my teammates in the car without a driver) problem where he was "a cop".

Let's take DUI as an example. My first several years on the job I generally made at least one DUI arrest every night. Fact...DUI's kill and maim a lot of nice people, and they are a big threat to regular people. I wrote exceptional very detailed DUI reports. I have never testified in court on my own DUI arrests because every single one had a guilty plea before going to a trial because I wrote airtight cases. Trust me, that is uncommon because even I am appaled at how sloppy many cops write these reports, and they get slain in court by attorney's who specialize in getting DUI's off. The paperwork and evidentiary requirements to do a DUI arrest has gone up 10x from the time when I started. Many of the cops I worked with when I started could not handle the requirements today that include having to get a warrant for forced evidence. Yeah, I learned from those old Vietnam vets who I started with how to effectively cuff a combative guy to a chair to get a forced blood out of them. Those same guys would have not had the skills to effectively handle the report requirements today. Want to save little kids from some of the sickest abuse imaginable? You better be able to properly get the paperwork and reporting in order to get them permanently removed from that environment in a system not designed to efficiently do that. Saving little kids by being able to fight through inefficient bureacracies is part of the whole "warrior" thing. Until the day arrives where people like me can simply walk a pediophile into the backyard and shoot them in the head to solve the problem, then the only other thing you can do to solve the problem is learn to do exceptional investigations as a patrol cop. What police agencies want are social workers who simply carry a gun. You want to go out and hunt humans to put violent offenders and predators in cages....then you will need to disguise yourself as a social worker with a gun and be able to efficiently and professionally do that job to get the opportunity to hunt the ones where the social work doesn't work. You also have to be highly effective at being a secretary with a gun when society and the environment is not condusive to hunting.

Most people on these forums know me as the knuckle dragging enforcer. Yep, I was good at that. Most do not know that I was also heavily involved with the Tools for Tolerance program and worked at the Museum of Tolerence in their program for law enforcement. Most people do not know that the proudest award I ever got was a kindness to animals award from the ASPCA. Most people don't know that my police reports were so good that I had them coded for the DA's office that hey would prosecute all of my cases without reading them (I had a code for filing the case or dumping the case if it was a loser). Most people don't know that part of the reason I was effective in cleaning up problems was my ability to utilize lots of different legal codes other than the penal and vehicle code. Most people don't know that I have never been sued as cop (included in some suits,but never the primary) and had one formal citizen complaint my entire career.....which was very early and I learned from. I have never been fired as a cop. The guys I really respect as legendary stud cops like pat Rogers, Scott Reitz, Larry Mudgett, John Helms, Jim Cirillo, Bill Allard, and a host of others have never been fired.....this is a clue. Being a cop is complex and it is not for everybody. Eventually, those who are in the hiring cops business will figure out that a lot of our problems arise from hiring the wrong people, but I doubt it. In the meantime, don't become a cop if you cannot handle what being a cop actually is......and it has nothing to do with how good you shoot.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 05-28-2015 at 08:42 AM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

There are several tidbits of gold in this post. I was the first person ever recruited off a college campus at my agency. I am sure that experiment shocked the department in the "that isn't what we expected", as I was also the first person to say in the interview "I want to put predatory animals in cages" instead of the normal "I want to help people". When I sat in the High School auditorium full of people trying to get 6 jobs, a ton were military guys. They got slain on things like the written exam and many were I'll prepared for how to do an interview. Things have gotten FAR worse in the last 25 years as to what LE agencies want. Reality-current combat vets are FAR more prepared for LE work than current college students-period. But, being this is real life in which common sense in governemnt run agencies doesn't make a bit of sense, that doesn't matter. It is not that some idiot is sitting in an office going "I don't want warriors as cops", the problem is that some idiot in an office has a set of criteria they want for cops that doesn't include being in the military and being a warrior is not on the list. Do guys who are James Yeager's fantasy warriors have a single skillset that is good to have....yes. Is being a "warrior" the only thing that makes a good cop....not even close. If you cannot write a police report that is acceptable to a district attorney with 8 years of college behind them, and a Judge with likely more, then your warrior skills do not matter. Unlike my era, the detectives who are reviewing your reports are also college graduates (when I started I had a closed door counseling session with our watch commander because he literally could not read my reports without a dictionary). How does being a warrior help with figuring out complex legal codes and legal theory? If you cannot decipher a Supreme Court decision, you will have problems with building solid cases and in legally applying all your bad ass warriorness. The people who are hiring police these days do not care about your ability shoot, fight,drive, and deal with bad people. They should, but they don't. The problem is not with warriors, the problem is that the military folks have been busy doing real life crap that interferes with checking the boxes that some desk jockey thinks is important in cop work. Society needs to do a better job of preparing soldiers to enter the policing field, just like any other job field. Like many jobs,mthe hiring criteria does not neccesarily equate to what actually makes a successful person in that field. Keep in mind that in cop world, 10% of the cops out there are doing 90% of the "warrior stuff". In a rural town of 600 people.....I would imagine that there was not a lot of warrior stuff being needed, which may have been James "I am a warrior" (except when people start shooting where he is a leave my teammates in the car without a driver) problem where he was "a cop".

Let's take DUI as an example. My first several years on the job I generally made at least one DUI arrest every night. Fact...DUI's kill and maim a lot of nice people, and they are a big threat to regular people. I wrote exceptional very detailed DUI reports. I have never testified in court on my own DUI arrests because every single one had a guilty plea before going to a trial because I wrote airtight cases. Trust me, that is uncommon because even I am appaled at how sloppy many cops write these reports, and they get slain in court by attorney's who specialize in getting DUI's off. The paperwork and evidentiary requirements to do a DUI arrest has gone up 10x from the time when I started. Many of the cops I worked with when I started could not handle the requirements today that include having to get a warrant for forced evidence. Yeah, I learned from those old Vietnam vets who I started with how to effectively cuff a combative guy to a chair to get a forced blood out of them. Those same guys would have not had the skills to effectively handle the report requirements today. Want to save little kids from some of the sickest abuse imaginable? You better be able to properly get the paperwork and reporting in order to get them permanently removed from that environment in a system not designed to efficiently do that. Saving little kids by being able to fight through inefficient bureacracies is part of the whole "warrior" thing. Until the day arrives where people like me can simply walk a pediophile into the backyard and shoot them in the head to solve the problem, then the only other thing you can do to solve the problem is learn to do exceptional investigations as a patrol cop. What police agencies want are social workers who simply carry a gun. You want to go out and hunt humans to out violent offenders in cages....then you will need to disguise yourself as a social worker with a gun and be able to efficiently and professionally do that job to get the opportunity to hunt the ones where the social work doesn't work. You also have to be highly effective at being a secretary with a gun when society and the environment is not condusive to hunting.

Most people on these forums know me as the knuckle dragging enforcer. Yep, I was good at that. Most do not know that I was also heavily involved with the Tools for Tolerance program and worked at the Museum of Tolerence in their program for law enforcement. Most people do not know that the proudest award I ever got was a kindness to animals award from the ASPCA. Most people don't know that my police reports were so good that I had them coded for the DA's office that hey would prosecute all of my cases without reading them (I had a code for filing the case or dumping the case if it was a loser). Most people don't know that part of the reason I was effective in cleaning up problems was my ability to utilize lots of different legal codes other than the penal and vehicle code. Most people don't know that I have never been sued as cop, and had one formal citizen complaint my entire career.....which was very early and I learned from. Being a cop is complex and it is not for everybody. Eventually, those who are in the hiring cops business will figure out that a lot of our problems arise from hiring the wrong people, but I doubt it. In the meantime, don't become a cop if you cannot handle what being a cop actually is......and it has nothing to do with how good you shoot.
    WIN!!!

/thread

I currently have six recruits with FTO's on my relief. Three of the six are combat vets.

Jesus, Nyeti. If I were a woman my ovaries would have exploded multiple times from all that.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    Jesus, Nyeti. If I were a woman my ovaries would have exploded multiple times from all that.
    I really don't understand the joke.

Sent from my iPhone, I apologize in advance for typos.

"Gustatus similis pullus"

Reality-current combat vets are FAR more prepared for LE work than current college students-period. But, being this is real life in which common sense in governemnt run agencies doesn't make a bit of sense, that doesn't matter... Unlike my era, the detectives who are reviewing your reports are also college graduates (when I started I had a closed door counseling session with our watch commander because he literally could not read my reports without a dictionary)...
    I spent several hours yesterday digging through the recent report on the Presidential whatever on policing - and, sure a shinola, there was a recommendation in there about requiring college degrees for LE positions across the board. I have a BS, from a "name" University, and everything I learned in college helps me about 1% of the time in my daily work - and I'm in a "white collar" investigative job.

True story, in my first office with this Agency, I had a crusty old ASAC who used to call me up and bitch me out because my reports had "too many 25 cent words" in them. I was ordered, directly, to "dumb them down." "We all know you went to Georgetown," he said, "now write like a cop..."

Sometimes, change is good.

And, in case I haven't said this to all y'all out there in uniform doing real police work every day - thank you, I'm in awe of what you do. Stay safe!

User Tag List