Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: "Dont Become A Cop"

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Yeah, what do those old men (probably in their 30s) know anyway, right?
    When I was a young DUMB 2LT, fresh off receiving my Expert Infantryman's Badge and feeling my oats, I was in "the old man" (Company Commander's) office. We were table-top war-gaming some up coming field exercise, and, of course, I knew a better way to pull off the plan, and let him know it. I remember at one point I said something like "in deference to your advanced rank AND AGE, I'll follow your plan..."

He couldn't have been 30 - probably more like 27-28 (which seemed ancient at the time). He calmly and politely invited me to get my PT gear on and meet him outside. About two hours and multiple involuntary regurgitations later, I'd learned the error of my ways. Pain retains!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Maybe it's selfish or inconsiderate of me to say, but whenever I meet a good person who wants to get into LE, I actively encourage them to. I'm not a cop, never have been and likely will never understand the issues in police work, but it's not gonna be fixed if I try to dissuade good men and snicker as an asshole takes a LE job and perpetuates his assholery for 20-30 years...

Because of all you LEO'S, I am safe, and I'd much prefer the good cops I've met and interacted with be the norm.
    As I said previously, it is a great job. I've met three Presidents one of whom walked up to me,shook my hand and thanked me for what I do. I have a very nice house in a very good neighborhood. I put my two children through school. My wife and I both have nice,late model cars. Everything I own I own because of the job. What's not to like? The job does have very dark moments from time to time. But as I said, it also has some very good high moments as well. I thank God that I was able to be a Policeman and that I was able to make a difference in some peoples lives. I would recommend this job to anyone that wants to have a career that is fun, exciting and can have a huge impact on other people. Just keep in mind that there is a lot of BS that goes along with it. Don't take it personal and when it happens, deal with it and move on. Never forget where you came from and treat people like you want to be treated. If you can do that, I think you will do well.

User Tag List