Thread: Gen 4 Glock 17 NIB-X Reliability?

Gen 4 Glock 17 NIB-X Reliability?

I'm about as close as i can get to pulling the trigger on one of these. I have read and seen some reports these cause alot of issues since they add a small amount of thickness (yes its very small i know) to the slide. Anyone know if these are good to go for a CCW/EDC role?

Quote Originally Posted by azerious View Post
    I'm about as close as i can get to pulling the trigger on one of these. I have read and seen some reports these cause alot of issues since they add a small amount of thickness (yes its very small i know) to the slide. Anyone know if these are good to go for a CCW/EDC role?
    My father has a Gen 3 17 NIB-X with 18,000 rounds down the pipe and it's been extremely reliable.

I will say it can be an issue. I have two of these. One was just like any other Glock. The other, while it worked, was sluggish with weak ejection. 300rds of +P ammo fixed that and it too is running like a Glock should.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    My father has a Gen 3 17 NIB-X
    It's an EXO gun, they predate the NIB-X guns.

I bought a used NIB-X gen 4 G19. It was a BTF Glock from the first day I shot it. Apex FRE and non-LCI bearing fixed it. Runs normal now.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Do these show any holster wear after a while?

I have a G23 NiB-X slide that I have been using in an experiment to compare NP3 to NiB-X using a G23. Yes, nickel boron, like any finish, wears with repeated abrasion, including holster draw cycles. It does not wear too much, but the wear points get shiny as if being burnished. The finish is still intact, stopping corrosion from occurring.

Since Glock slides are fairly corrosion-resistant from the factory, the only plus to NiB-X or NP3 is increased lubricity which lowers the need for lube. This can be a plus in dusty, sandy conditions where too much lube can capture silica particles or with people who clean a holstered pistol exposed to the elements once a year or two if they feel like it. The nice thing about these finishes is that most of the crud wipes off with a dry rag.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    The nice thing about these finishes is that most of the crud wipes off with a dry rag.
    After having owned one of the EXO guns, and putting a lot of rounds through it, I thought it was a waste of money and wouldn't pay a premium for the coating.

You'r right, it makes it a little easier to clean, but that's it.

User Tag List