Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Appendix reholstering:video

To me the main thing is to have the reholster be a deliberate careful act NOT an automatic twitch.
    I talked to one gentleman who had reholstered after putting down 1 problem only to realize he had 2 more to put down. He got it done but said he really did not recommend a reflexive reholster.

Once I have deliberately decided to reholster. I clear a path with the off hand for the reholster. I bring my off hand back to the body and use it to: clear my closed front cover garment, feel for holster obstructions, shirt etc... I then reholster slowly and carefully. I only look if I feel something amiss.
    I did this for years with Glocks and now with HK P30 LEM 9mms and HK45s. With the HKs I put my gun hand thumb on the hammer Before I contact my body. My emphasis is on doing this by feel is because I do not assume I will have light. I do feel better about a hammer pistol in this situation especially in the dark under rain gear, multiple layers and/or other equipment.

I have only been carrying AIWB for a few months. Mostly with a G19 and most recently with a PPS. I am very slow and deliberate with my reholster and I always watch the gun go in to verify a clear path into the holster and verify my fingers aren't in the way. I still get the willys with my G19. I am much more comfortable with the PPS since it has the striker indicator. I place my thumb on the indicator during reholstering so if the trigger moves I can feel it and abort the reholster. Can't wait for the Gadget for my G19.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Friends,
    I do not understand the purpose of this thread. Is it to wring hands or, perhaps, wag fingers at all who are 'doing it wrong,' or is it to cast more light upon those who are 'doing it right' (in videos)? Maybe both?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    wag fingers at all who are 'doing it wrong,'
    That was my interpretation.

Unless the video covers an explanation of reholstering, I'm not sure we can gather much information about it regarding their intent. When I'm practicing, I sometimes reholster too quickly (for my comfort level) and catch myself. I try to slow down and fix the issue, but it does crop up now and then.

I also point out to people if their shirt is caught in their holster, and I've done it to many clueful shooters. All of those slips in concentration could have been recorded and posted online as part of a larger drill/demonstration, and you'd think that's just how I/they do it every time.

I've told my shooting buddy that he's reholstering too fast, and I've done it more than once. He fixes it on the next iteration - most of the time.

I try to do it correctly every time. Sometimes I get too sloppy for my taste and I try to fix it.

There are a lot of video's out there with speed reholstering taking place. One good way for me to combat this I actually learned from Todd in class. Come to a "hard" break at some point during your reholstering. For me this would be in the 3 position.

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    Friends,
    I do not understand the purpose of this thread. Is it to wring hands or, perhaps, wag fingers at all who are 'doing it wrong,' or is it to cast more light upon those who are 'doing it right' (in videos)? Maybe both?
    Quote Originally Posted by JV_ View Post

Unless the video covers an explanation of reholstering, I'm not sure we can gather much information about it regarding their intent. When I'm practicing, I sometimes reholster too quickly (for my comfort level) and catch myself. I try to slow down and fix the issue, but it does crop up now and then.

I also point out to people if their shirt is caught in their holster, and I've done it to many clueful shooters. All of those slips in concentration could have been recorded and posted online as part of a larger drill/demonstration, and you'd think that's just how I/they do it every time.

I've told my shooting buddy that he's reholstering too fast, and I've done it more than once. He fixes it on the next iteration - most of the time.

I try to do it correctly every time. Sometimes I get too sloppy for my taste and I try to fix it.
    The point of this thread was to express my complete and utter disgust at almost every video I see on the web showing someone shooting from appendix. Despite all the discussion of what people do holstering, supposedly to maximize their safety when shooting from appendix, almost none of that seems to find its way into posted videos. Given that I assume posted videos generally try to show the subject in a favorable light, my thought is that most have no idea what constitutes best practice holstering with an appendix holster.

Excluding a small number of folks posting videos on PF, I challenge anyone to find a video where the shooter is shooting from appendix, where their holstering technique is the technique you would use, or you would want your wife/child/friend to use. I am not naming names because it isn't one person, it is almost every person.

I am on the run, or I would go through and take snippets of several dozen videos highlighting piss poor technique including:

speed reholstering

slamming the pistol in the holster

holstering while performing another task like scoring the target or reading the timer

failing to orient one's body so the muzzle doesn't cover vital body parts

Failing to ride a hammer if available

If you don't believe me, just take a look at some videos showing shooting from appendix. If you see someone doing right, go ahead and post a link here. No Mr_White videos allowed.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Great post. I think everyone is guilty of this. You know, because we're human

That was me.

I've been appendix carrying since the 80's when it sucked because there were no good holsters for this type of carry. I also agree that re-holstering, WITH ANY METHOD OF CARRY, should be done slowly and deliberately. But I will play the devils advocate...

So does the fact that people are casually holstering and even speed holstering without mass incidents of NDs mean that we are overestimating the dangers of training with the appendix carry setup when using a properly made holster?

Also, one of the holsters I carry a lot with is the RCS VG2. I know a lot of people do not like it because they say training with it is slow but one thing I really like about it is that when I slide the VG2 on my G19 and put it back on my belt there is basically ZERO chance for a ND because of how the trigger is already covered prior to putting it inside my waistband.

User Tag List