Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FNS Compact or Full size for 2 day Vickers basic pistol class

FNS Compact or Full size for 2 day Vickers basic pistol class

Hi all been hiding out here for a while now this is my first post though. I'm taking Larry Vickers level 1 handgun class in July and am wondering which gun I should use the fns compact or full size fns. The compact will be my primary carry gun once my license comes through. This isn't my first class but it is my first class on this level. Really I am just wòndering if using the compact will put me me at any real disadvantage and if those disadvantages are out weighed by the advantage of training with my carry gun.

Site Supporter
    I generally find full size pistols easier to shoot than their compact brethren. For that reason I take my full size pistol to training classes so I can focus on applying what is being taught with the least amount of distraction. I can then go back later and apply what I have learned to the smaller pistol, seeing what works and what does not.

The exception to this is if I am taking a class focused on CC, such as Pannone's Covert Carry. Then I will bring my carry since the principles being taught directly apply.

I doubt it will significantly matter one way or another.

Is there an issue with taking both and shooting both? I always bring a backup to a class just in case.

While I am a fan of shooting what you carry, the difference in this case between the two choices is not big enough to matter, and putting rounds on your full size gun will lengthen the life of the compact gun.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I have a thing about being confident with my carry gun. Compact though it really doesn't matter too much.
    #RESIST

Take both, but use whatever you plan to carry in the class. The other pistol will be a back-up. This is especially true if you have less than 2,000 rounds through your carry gun.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

I'd roll with the compact. Not enough difference to hold ya back.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

LAV's 2 day basic handgun is not a high round count class. I took it a couple years ago. You should always bring a backup gun to any shooting event you attend, so bring both and shoot the compact. It's about the size of a G19 so it should still be a nice shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I have a thing about being confident with my carry gun. Compact though it really doesn't matter too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Take both, but use whatever you plan to carry in the class. The other pistol will be a back-up. This is especially true if you have less than 2,000 rounds through your carry gun.
    Good advice...

I prefer to have a backup copy of the gun that I carry. My backup gun is an exact copy of the carry gun. But that could just be the OCD showing through...

I would bring both of your guns to the class. I would also shoot whichever gun you actually carry in the class and use the other as a spare.

As someone who has broken several guns in various training classes, I'd echo the suggestions here that you should bring both firearms with you. Always, always, always have a spare ready to go. You don't want to be That Guy trying to source parts for an FNS in a hurry if your pistol shits the proverbial bed on the morning of TD 1.

User Tag List