Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Trade a Sig 228 for a M11-A1?

Quote Originally Posted by ClintHall View Post
    Price check -- have gotten a trade offer for the M11a1-- fella is offering a 1991-make W. German P226 with 5K round count. Bluing looks good; it was sent to Sig around ten years ago for spring-replacement/inspection. He's offering the gun, three mags, and $200 in trade. Fair swap?

I'd ask you what you're looking to accomplish with the swap? If commonality is important to you, I'd stick with the two compact sizes guns and keep the 228 and M11 and shoot the shit out of them. The 226 handles, loads and shoots enough differently for *me* that I prefer to be dedicated to one or the other. Granted that comes from a "whittling on the minutae" perspective.

Re just the price? It's on the edge of doable, IMO. The reason I say that is one can find REALLY good deals on older trade-in stamped slide Sigs if you're patient and know where to look. In particular if you're willing to convert them over to DA/SA from a DAK system. I've purchased multiples in the $400-450 range, FWIW. Given the price point on the newer Sigs, I think you could probably do a bit better than the mentioned deal. Unless of course you just want out of the M11A1.

Just 2 pesos.

Thanks for the thots, Taadski -- I held off on the deal. Was looking to have mag commonality as between the P228 and the P226, and set the P226 up as a nightstand gun.

Shot the M11A1 again tonight with Remington UMC. FTE on round 3. Not good.

Total round count (in my hands) for M11A1 now is as follows:

- 295 total.
    - 117 rounds since failure
    - 15 Fed HST 124 +p.
    - 60 WWB. 2 FTE.
    - 220 Remington Green Box. 1 FTE.

Name:  9E987E08-AE54-4BB9-B1AD-75BD0C8EFD57.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  31.6 KB

After putting the 9mm through it I swapped in the .22 conversion kit and ran Remington Golden Bullet .22s. Ran far, far better than the Aguila .22 I had used before, albeit still with the occasional stovepipe and light strike.

The wisest course of action seems to be just getting the M11A1 fixed and keeping it as a training gun. It's set up nearly identically to my carry P228.
    Last edited by ClintHall; 01-07-2017 at 08:12 PM.

FWIW, my wife has an M11 A-1 that we bought early in '16. The trigger was quite heavy, which seems to be very common, so we sent it to Sig for the AEP, and had them replace the short reach trigger, with the thicker, standard type. We run 115gr Speer Lawman, CCI Blazer Brass & recently, some Sellier & Bellot FMJ, & 124gr HST, and have never had a single failure of any kind; estimated round count is about 500.
    I bought a 226 last January, and it has about 2000 rounds through it, and has also never had any failures.

Clint, You mentioned getting the new extractor springs for the A1. Did you get them installed yet? Are these new failures with new the new springs? If not, yeah, get em changed out. It should alleviate the problems. I'd also do a good inspection of the extractor itself, just to ensure it's not chipped, severely burred or anything.

t

Thankfully, it's not with the new springs; wanted to get down to VA Arms for the swap, as I don't have the half-punch handy to do it myself. Hopefully I can get SIG to give it a look gratis.
    Last edited by ClintHall; 01-07-2017 at 10:23 PM.

Cool. Good to hear. Issues of this type in the Sigs, IME, don't sort themselves out. They aren't break-in problems, so it's usually better to just cut to the chase and get it fixed.

FWIW, I've carefully used a smaller diameter punch instead of the half punch with good success removing the extractor pin. It's a pretty straightforward quick little project if you cared to do it yourself. I'd bet it'll remedy your issues forthwith. Be happy to walk ya through it on Facetime or something too if you wanted. Drop me a PM if so.

t

Thankfully, it's not with the new springs; wanted to get down to VA Arms for the swap, as I don't have the half-punch handy to do it myself. Hopefully I can get SIG to give it a look gratis.
    Fingers crossed that your issue will be resolved by a simple spring swap. Mine went back to SIG twice and the FTE problem persisted.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

If you need a half punch, I have the Sig tool you can borrow.

User Tag List