Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exposed Magazine Release - School Me

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    FWIW, on my Kahr P9, I used epoxy to fill in a portion of the triangular cutout that the mag catch spring flexes in. That immobilized about 1/3 of the spring, reducing its working length, and increasing the force needed to actuate the mag release. I was completely satisfied with the results. IIRC, the force required to drop the mag was originally around 2.8 lb, and it's now something like 5.5 lb. Reloads aren't a problem as long as I hit the mag release button firmly, and the gun is no longer prone to the surprise single-shot conversion.
    I've ordered a replacement catch and spring (as well as a recoil spring, just because) from Kahr. I'll see if I can figure out what you're describing when they arrive. Thanks. So far, I'm just thinking of using it pocket carry, or maybe a wide elastic band as a magazine retainer. Yours sounds more elegant.

Site Supporter

Exposed Magazine Release - School Me

Not sure if this will show up well, but here's a picture of the inside of the mag well. The epoxy is the grey triangle.

Got it - thanks.

As I mentioned earlier I spoke to Eric Larsen of HBE about this inadvertent mag release and sent him the holster to check. He could find nothing wrong with it but reworked it anyway. He built up the area of the holster near the mag release button so as to add some support and prevent this from recurring. There was no charge - that's great customer service.

Also, I now have a new mag release catch and standard spring installed. (Kahr declined to provide it free as the piece is "17 years old and that would be normal wear." Oh, well.) If this remains a problem I'll look into a stronger spring.

FYI, JM custom kydex can make their holsters (at least a george) with covered mag release. I've had a couple instances with a PM9 and a shield to convince me that it's better to be covered although can't say that it solved the problem. Admin reloads are for playtime.

Quote Originally Posted by blindluck View Post
    FYI, JM custom kydex can make their holsters (at least a george) with covered mag release. I've had a couple instances with a PM9 and a shield to convince me that it's better to be covered although can't say that it solved the problem. Admin reloads are for playtime.
    I'll be searching for good holster makers that cover or build up around the mag release button. I won't make the same mistake a second time - an admin reload capability is not something that sways me. I understand the issue that a shroud may make an inadvertent release more likely, so I'll be especially looking for something that will prevent it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    I'll be searching for good holster makers that cover or build up around the mag release button. I won't make the same mistake a second time - an admin reload capability is not something that sways me. I understand the issue that a shroud may make an inadvertent release more likely, so I'll be especially looking for something that will prevent it.
    The holsters I've gotten from Rich @ CCC cover and protect the mag release very well.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    The holsters I've gotten from Rich @ CCC cover and protect the mag release very well.
    Thanks, Chuck. He was on my list to call. Today was given over to ensuring the Kahr works with the new catch and the new recoil spring. (The latter was so stiff I had to invent a tool to seat it.) It did work, so I'm now ready to make some calls on holsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Thanks, Chuck. He was on my list to call. Today was given over to ensuring the Kahr works with the new catch and the new recoil spring. (The latter was so stiff I had to invent a tool - a nail with a flattened point - to seat it.) The pistol functioned properly, so I'm now ready to make some calls on holsters.

User Tag List