Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exposed Magazine Release - School Me

Exposed Magazine Release - School Me

I just had my outside the waistband HBE for my Kahr K9 self-eject my magazine. I found it on the bedroom carpet so there was no harm done, but leaving the release free to rub against the body seems to be a particularly bad idea. It seems to be a common design, however - my JM Custom Kydex OWB Type 1 for my G19 is the same way.

It raises a question - why is it a good idea to have the magazine release exposed and not protected by holster material?

I have Sparks leather and FIST holsters I'm very happy with that all expose the mag release similiarly. The only accidental mag releases I've seen were with Gen 3 19s and a 26 with the Tango Down LAV mag releases. Problem disappeared after returning those to the standard OEM part. These events only happened at 3:30 carry; never AIWB. Gen 4s have not done this.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Here's a couple threads on the topic:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-release-or-no
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ng-mag-release

I don't recall it ever happening to me but it's happened to the old lady with her SIG P238 and an IWB hybrid style holster
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Pics of the gun in the holster?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Conversely, I've seen lots of posts over the years from guys with those hybrid holsters like the Crossbreed SuperTuck where the soft leather panel has pressed on the mag release and ejected the mag.

I prefer the mag release not to be covered by the holster. The spacing the holster provides between the mag release and me has so far prevented the mag release from getting pushed. I have a 1911 though, with a standard mag release button. I may have a different opinion with a larger more prominent mag release button, like the big one on the Gen4 Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Pics of the gun in the holster?
    Nothing with it in the holster but maybe you can see the relationships with this - everything's OEM standard with no mods:

This makes me consider going back to Smith 5-shot pocket carry. Or maybe the very flat Colt 1903, also in pocket carry - the Euro heel release magazine is looking pretty good right now.

I've only rarely considered carrying a spare magazine - I'm reconsidering. You "need two to have one."

Jay - I've found the magazine release on my Kahrs have been very "soft" and easy to depress - to the point where I've inadvertently activated them while firing - taking the magazine out of lock just enough to turn the pistol into a single shot. I believe it has more to do with the pistol's design than the holster's design, personally. I've also had several Kahr magazines that would auto-eject the top round out of the magazine even in a magazine pouch - let alone riding loose in a front pocket.

Doesn't make the Kahr a BAD choice, but definitely worth considering.

FWIW, the arrival of my G43 has put my PM9 in the back of the safe - potentially permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Jay - I've found the magazine release on my Kahrs have been very "soft" and easy to depress - to the point where I've inadvertently activated them while firing - taking the magazine out of lock just enough to turn the pistol into a single shot. I believe it has more to do with the pistol's design than the holster's design, personally. I've also had several Kahr magazines that would auto-eject the top round out of the magazine even in a magazine pouch - let alone riding loose in a front pocket.

Doesn't make the Kahr a BAD choice, but definitely worth considering.

FWIW, the arrival of my G43 has put my PM9 in the back of the safe - potentially permanently.
    I spoke to Eric Larsen of HBE yesterday about this and he agrees with you. He said he had the same happen to him with his 1997 K40 about 10 years ago, the only two instances he's aware of in 15,000 holsters he's made. I sent the holster back to him to look at, but I couldn't see anything wrong with it. Logically, just re-seating the magazine each time I put it on should prevent a "creeping release depression," but that's just logic; it pales to insignificance to the emotion of noticing you're carrying a single shot pistol. My Kahr, which I have used since 1998, is now off my carry rotation, replaced for now with a Seecamp LWS 32 (with a heel release).

Site Supporter
    FWIW, on my Kahr P9, I used epoxy to fill in a portion of the triangular cutout that the mag catch spring flexes in. That immobilized about 1/3 of the spring, reducing its working length, and increasing the force needed to actuate the mag release. I was completely satisfied with the results. IIRC, the force required to drop the mag was originally around 2.8 lb, and it's now something like 5.5 lb. Reloads aren't a problem as long as I hit the mag release button firmly, and the gun is no longer prone to the surprise single-shot conversion.

All of my holsters have an exposed mag release.

All guns gen 4; no issues. I prefer exposed mag release as I can admin reload at classes.

User Tag List