Thread: Cleveland LEO acquitted of manslaughter in 2012 shooting

Cleveland LEO acquitted of manslaughter in 2012 shooting

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/05/23...cmp=latestnews

A Cleveland cop cleared Saturday on state charges in the deaths of two unarmed people in a 137-shot barrage of police gunfire could face federal charges.

The Justice Department said after the acquittal of Officer Michael Brelo’s on voluntary manslaughter charges that it would "review all available legal options.
    #RESIST

I’m too tired to watch a riot tonight.

I trained in Cleveland and for some strange reason miss the place from time to time. Thus, I followed this case and listened to the judge's decision. While the circumstances surrounding the shooting (number of rounds, unarmed suspects, etc.) have some concerning elements, I can see how the decision for an acquittal was the result. It basically boiled down to the inability to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the fatal shots came from the defendant, AND that his fear for safety was reasonable given the totality of the available information at the time.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I trained in Cleveland and for some strange reason miss the place from time to time. Thus, I followed this case and listened to the judge's decision. While the circumstances surrounding the shooting (number of rounds, unarmed suspects, etc.) have some concerning elements, I can see how the decision for an acquittal was the result. It basically boiled down to the inability to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the fatal shots came from the defendant, AND that his fear for safety was reasonable given the totality of the available information at the time.
    And to a logical mind that knows who the law works, the result is acceptable as the evidence didn't fit the crime charged. Unfortunately, logic and knowledge of how the law works means squat to those stirring the pot.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911guy View Post
    Yeah, but you look like a tactical hobo in flip flops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A world without violence is about as likely as a world where I get to, um, "date" at least 3 A-list actresses and/or supermodels every single day. Ain't happening.

The criminal matter is not yet complete. Up next are 5 supervisors charged with dereliction of duty. I think this is a second degree misdemeanor in OH - up to 90 days in jail.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Here is an article on why the judge found him not guilty.

http://www.cleveland.com/court-justi...rt_maj-story-1

I grew up near Cleveland and even had some training from some of their officers. They tend (or at least they used to) to not fuck around when the time comes for action. It's a tough town that requires tough cops.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Not remotely surprised.

DAs need to look tough on the police so they over charge, and it mostly results in aquittals or something of that nature.

Typical zero liability for the DA since they just blame the untouchable judge.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Judge did a good job on a tough case.

If you haven't read the whole opinion, I encourage you (especially my fellow Ohio Officers) to do so. Excellent read.

The scary thing is this: during the recent Governor's Task Force On Community Relations that Kasich sponsored, one of the suggestions proposed is that an Officer NOT be afforded the right to have a bench trial in the case of a charge stemming from a use of force. They want to force the Officer to have a jury trial. I don't see this happening, but it's a little disconcerting that it was even seriously discussed.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    If you haven't read the whole opinion, I encourage you (especially my fellow Ohio Officers) to do so. Excellent read.

The scary thing is this: during the recent Governor's Task Force On Community Relations that Kasich sponsored, one of the suggestions proposed is that an Officer NOT be afforded the right to have a bench trial in the case of a charge stemming from a use of force. They want to force the Officer to have a jury trial. I don't see this happening, but it's a little disconcerting that it was even seriously discussed.
    Someone needs to be educated on the fact that everyone has the same rights.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List