Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun questions. Mossberg 590A1 VS 930?

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderMan2k4 View Post
    Having recently got a 590a1, I'd probably recommend a "standard" 590. I ordered mine and had no idea just how much heavier the thick walled a1 barrel is. Considering I was trying to keep the Mossberg as little smaller, lighter, and handier, the extra heavy barrel was kind of a bummer. I'll say I have gotten used to it, but it does feel heavier than my 870 which is a bit longer overall AND has a 2 round magazine extension.
    Do you know the weight difference? The Mossberg website shows them being equal in weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    But if you take nothing else away from this, be sure to realize that the HD shotgun, in anything other than single shot or double barrel trim, is most assuredly NOT the simple, anyone-can-do-it solution that most folks think it is. There is quite a bit of technique and skill involved in handling a pump or semi-auto shotgun properly; and I'll second Tom as a source of that instruction.
    I'll be seeking out professional instruction within the next month. Tom is out due to proximity. More than likely my first class will be with Chris Fry, due to being a great instructor, and being local to me.

My main closet gun is a 590A1. Reliable to a fault, and very solid.

As an aside, my friend Doug Tollen and I tested it at 30 meters with various loads. Winchester Ranger Reduced patterned about 16 inches. Federal 8 pellet FliteControl went into the space of my spread hand (about 6 inches). Slugs were all over, but what else can you expect with a cylinder bore?

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    Do you know the weight difference? The Mossberg website shows them being equal in weight.

I'll be seeking out professional instruction within the next month. Tom is out due to proximity. More than likely my first class will be with Chris Fry, due to being a great instructor, and being local to me.
    I do not know the weight difference. Sorry.
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, and other fun shotgun stuff.

Shotgun questions. Mossberg 590A1 VS 930?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    25 yard group, with one called flyer, shot with just a FO front sight from short M2 12 gauge:

Quote Originally Posted by gruntjim View Post
    Slugs were all over, but what else can you expect with a cylinder bore?
    Would it be out of line to expect this from a cylinder bore? Honestly curious.

ETA: second quote for clarity
    Sent from my iPhone, I apologize in advance for typos.

"Gustatus similis pullus"

Quote Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
    Would it be out of line to expect this from a cylinder bore? Honestly curious.

No, if you did the work to find what slugs work from your guns. Finding slugs that work from a cylinder bore shotgun typically takes some getting to the range time to see what your barrel likes.

FWIW, from Foster type slugs I have found the Federal TruBall slugs to be very good from a number of different shotguns with cylinder and IC chokes.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderMan2k4 View Post
    I do not know the weight difference. Sorry.
    I think the weight actually may be negligible due to the fact that you can only get the 590 in an 20" barrel but you can get the A1 in an 18". A lil' shorter & thicker but ultimately the same weight, just a theory.

I think the weight actually may be negligible due to the fact that you can only get the 590 in an 20" barrel but you can get the A1 in an 18". A lil' shorter & thicker but ultimately the same weight, just a theory.
    Ahhhh gotcha. I've got the 590a1 18" and was amazed how much heavier it was than an 18" 500. I didn't realize they only made 590s in 20" (I probably did, but forgot... It was probably the reason I was sure to go with the 590a1 in the first place)
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, and other fun shotgun stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuelBLong View Post
    Oh also... summit gunbrokers has a bunch of 870p and wing master agency trade in's inbound... 325 for the P's and 175 for a wingmaster if I recall correctly
    They must not want to sell them. I left a message 2 days ago and haven't heard anything back.

They must not want to sell them. I left a message 2 days ago and haven't heard anything back.
    They can have some really crappy CS in my experience.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    They can have some really crappy CS in my experience.
    I was going to get an 870P from them and a Mossberg and sell the one I didn't like after a few range days with them. I called all the local stores here in Vegas for the 870P and no one has any trade ins, or new for that matter.

Packing & moving the next 2 days so it'll have to wait til I get settled in the new house.

User Tag List