Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shotgun questions. Mossberg 590A1 VS 930?

Shotgun questions. Mossberg 590A1 VS 930?

Primary usage will be as a HD gun due to moving to AR unfriendly places. From what I've gathered on the latest generation of 870's I'm better off going with Mossberg. I'm fairly new to the shotgun but plan on taking several classes this year and really getting to know it as my primary HD long gun.

I'm looking at the Magpul 590A1 pump with 18.5" barrel for $580 VS 930 Tactical semi-auto $534 new.

Also found a used 930 SPX for $620 (new $689 + tax +$25 background). He claims to have only 10 rounds of 00 through it but I'm not a shotgun inspection expert.

Pros & cons for semi VS pump in this role? Does the 930 have a good reputation for a semi? I'm open to other suggestions in the same price range but don't want to drop $1k right now.

I prefer a semi, but you can learn to run the pump nearly as fast on single targets, and transitioning between targets it doesn't really make a difference. In a home defense role it won't really matter, although you're guaranteed cycling with the pump if you work it properly. Semi's can be finicky about ammo.

One thing to be aware of is that you can get that 590 down to the proper 12-13" LOP. The 930 you're pretty much stuck with the longer LOP unless you want to put in the work to try and shorten the factory stock, or spend extra $$ on a Mesa Urbino.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

Oh also... summit gunbrokers has a bunch of 870p and wing master agency trade in's inbound... 325 for the P's and 175 for a wingmaster if I recall correctly

Might be something to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

Quote Originally Posted by SamuelBLong View Post
    One thing to be aware of is that you can get that 590 down to the proper 12-13" LOP. The 930 you're pretty much stuck with the longer LOP unless you want to put in the work to try and shorten the factory stock, or spend extra $$ on a Mesa Urbino.
    I wasn't aware of that. I'll definitely need the shorter LOP for the wife.

Looks like the Urbino is a pistol grip only stock which I'm not looking for.
    Last edited by Shellback; 05-23-2015 at 01:44 PM.

I'm sure there are those who can sing the virtues of the 930, but the examples that I have seen in the wild have not been promising. Three of my local shooting group have bought them, and all three have had issues to the point they had to go back to the factory.

My personal experience the with the 590 is limited to a new production unit that I won in a drawing a couple of years ago. I ran it in an Erik Lund class with no issues.

At heart, I am an 870P guy. The older 870Ps can be had with a little looking, and those mentioned above from Summit are a pretty good deal.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Hey dude check your pm

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I'm sure there are those who can sing the virtues of the 930, but the examples that I have seen in the wild have not been promising. Three of my local shooting group have bought them, and all three have had issues to the point they had to go back to the factory.
    Thanks Chief. That definitely makes me rethink the 930.

I'd rather have an 870 than a 930, and the decision wouldn't even be close. USPSA members can buy a Magpul 870 for $450 until the end of the month.

I'm not a big fan of the newer 870s made over the past couple of years, QC under the new owners has not taken a positive turn IMHO.

After working with well over 150 Mossberg 500s and 590s in the program at my old job I can say that they are a solid choice if one wants a pump gun.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I'm not a big fan of the newer 870s made over the past couple of years, QC under the new owners has not taken a positive turn IMHO.

After working with well over 150 Mossberg 500s and 590s in the program at my old job I can say that they are a solid choice if one wants a pump gun.
    I was leaning towards the Mossberg after reading numerous shotgun threads, your experience, and several others. The 870P deal at Summit may be an option though.

User Tag List