Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Objective research on the barrel break in fad

2804fps. Brass is on 6 reloads, which I think is amazing. I have not worn out my brass yet (I have a lot), but mostly because I haven't shot the gun since moving from MT. Not a lot of call for it in my current part of the world:-(

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Brass is on 6 reloads, which I think is amazing.
    My guess would be that the custom action is helping. The gunsmith I use claims that he pushes his loads much hotter than normal because he is using custom actions in his personal guns. He said they are stiffer which keeps the brass from moving as much and increases the life.

Sorry for the derail. That is a nice setup.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Even worse is applying the break-in and cleaning every single time you shoot idea to an AR. It's a chrome lined bore on a carbine for Odin's sake........
    I agree. Like I mentioned earlier I know a few that do that with chrome lined mil-spec barrels. They look at me like I don't have a clue since I don't prescribe to their barrel break in procedures. They themselves don't even know why they do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin P View Post
    I agree. Like I mentioned earlier I know a few that do that with chrome lined mil-spec barrels. They look at me like I don't have a clue since I don't prescribe to their barrel break in procedures. They themselves don't even know why they do it.
    Probably because they read it on the Internet, or someone told them "this is the way we've always done it". Like people refusing to properly lubricate their guns, it's a difficult cycle to break.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Some guys spending more time cleaning one new barrel in the break in process, than I do cleaning ALL my guns in a year. Ain't happening here.

My cleaning program is more or less:

1) carbines basically get just lube

2) my handguns get lube, a bore snake and some toothbrush work

3) my hunting rifles get cleaned when they fall into the lake.
    Was doing a little research on rifle barrel break in and whether it was worth the trouble. Had to laugh at this.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

User Tag List