Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking tunnel vision

Breaking tunnel vision

This week I read the book Aftermath by Jim Flemming. One of the things he brought up was during an adrenaline dump a typical occurrence is that of having tunnel vision. He also said it is important to recognize the fact that you are experiencing tunnel vision and you should break it, to see the bigger picture. From what I gather, the "scan process" is supposed to be "training" to break tunnel vision; however in all of the years that I have been training no one has explained it as that. I was told "you are looking for additional threats".

I know I have had tunnel vision in stressful situations and I am going to pay attention to break it in the future.

Thoughts?

Easiest way I found was taking a huge breath as you are lookin around for people, like moving your head.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by mluikey View Post
    This week I read the book Aftermath by Jim Flemming. One of the things he brought up was during an adrenaline dump a typical occurrence is that of having tunnel vision. He also said it is important to recognize the fact that you are experiencing tunnel vision and you should break it, to see the bigger picture. From what I gather, the "scan process" is supposed to be "training" to break tunnel vision; however in all of the years that I have been training no one has explained it as that. I was told "you are looking for additional threats".

I know I have had tunnel vision in stressful situations and I am going to pay attention to break it in the future.

Thoughts?
    Not sure why nobody has ever explained the process to you that way. I always have. That has always gone hand and hand with the explanation that you should actually look for something, not just swivel your head around. Of course I guess it could just be bro science.

It's one of those things that doesn't make a whole lot of sense on the square range. I actually wonder if all the square range "scanning" really trains us just to do some stupid dance vs actually accomplishing anything.

Think about when you would be scanning. There are a million things that you want to be orienting yourself to. Did anyone else get hurt? Any other threats? The cops showing up? Is there a better position you might want to move to? Is there a witness that you want to be able to point out to the cops? Are there people fleeing the scene? Is anyone trying to remove or alter evidence?

There is gonna be a ton of stuff happening and it's going to be in your best interest to observe as much of it as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrlcop View Post
    It's one of those things that doesn't make a whole lot of sense on the square range. I actually wonder if all the square range "scanning" really trains us just to do some stupid dance vs actually accomplishing anything.

Think about when you would be scanning. There are a million things that you want to be orienting yourself to. Did anyone else get hurt? Any other threats? The cops showing up? Is there a better position you might want to move to? Is there a witness that you want to be able to point out to the cops? Are there people fleeing the scene? Is anyone trying to remove or alter evidence?

There is gonna be a ton of stuff happening and it's going to be in your best interest to observe as much of it as possible.
    I scan for people and eye balls.

If you just burned a dude down and people arent looking at you but at something else chances are you should be looking there too.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Just as greying out is the body's physiological response to high G force, tunnel vision is a physiological response to a stressful situation. I have experienced both in the cockpit.

My training has focused on proactively being aware of this response to G force or stress, so that you are anticipating it rather than reacting to it. Until your mind real time identifies what is happening, I think it is unlikely you will see the "eyeballs, the other aircraft, etc."
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I can't say this with absolute certainty but....

The portion of your eyes that is capable of high resolution vision, is very small, just a few degrees. Tunnel vision is probably more accurately described as tunnel focus. By moving your head around as part of that scan, you are also moving that small arc of quality vision around and also reminding your mind to start to use your peripheral vision which covers a much broader arc of vision.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Just as greying out is the body's physiological response to high G force, tunnel vision is a physiological response to a stressful situation. I have experienced both in the cockpit.

My training has focused on proactively being aware of this response to G force or stress, so that you are anticipating it rather than reacting to it. Until your mind real time identifies what is happening, I think it is unlikely you will see the "eyeballs, the other aircraft, etc."
    One can become inoculated to stressors, thereby negating the physiological response. Mindset and training have been used quite effectively for just such situations by many people.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    One can become inoculated to stressors, thereby negating the physiological response. Mindset and training have been used quite effectively for just such situations by many people.
    This.
    I have not had tunnel vision in a number of years now. That's not to say it is broken for good, but it just doesn't affect me the way it used to. I had some good proof of this just last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    As regards my experience while flying, completely agree. The kind of thing that would cause a low time pilot to freak, is hardly notable for a more experienced and skilled pilot.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List