Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dracula Draw....

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Ahhhh, now that's something I haven't considered. Perhaps in lieu of a secret handshake, PF'rs can bring back 'the cape' look.
    Capes and sashes!

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    Steve Fisher credits Dave Spaulding and Dave Spaulding says he got it from Jack Manfre at Chicago PD. What little I have tried it "For Me" it wasn't working anywhere as smooth as my normal draw stroke. Maybe my build of extremely long arms and wide shoulders that works against me here. YMMV.
    Correct. I first saw this technique in Chic Gaylord's "Handgunner's Guide" circa 1960. Jack Manfre, a Chicago PD street cop and instructor, resurrected it and named it the Dracula Draw. It's an option that works for some people with some garments. At very close range, the outward movement of the support arm MAY draw the eye of the opponent and take that eye off the defender's gun hand for an instant.

Whether or not it ends up in the front pouch of your bag of tricks, this technique turns out to be very good for clearing a path for re-holstering in a strong side hip holster, particularly with heavy winter outer garments.

Having grown up in Transylvania, I can guarantee that is NOT how the Count does things.

Wouldn't work for me as I can't keep my shirts unbuttoned, especially with AIWB. Seems to work for him so I'll put this into the whatever floats your boat category. Whatever technique you use, train the shit out of it in all sorts of conditions and if it works keep doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    I believe The Incredibles dealt with the subject of capes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    You beat me to it, but I'm going to post this anyway:

Dammit! You both beat me to it!

Site Supporter
    Maybe I don't get this. First, doing two unrelated things at once (unrelated as it doesn't aid in the draw) seems a distraction to me. Second, if you are my opponent and I'm on the urge of shooting you COM, why do I care what side moves - I just shoot you at movement.? It's not that the flapping cape interferes with that.

Meh,

If it works for him consistently, fine by me.
    It's not for me, but i am not going to hack on him.
    As long as you can complete your draw quickly and consistently, I don't care if you stick your tongue out, or wiggle your toes.

Last thing I need is a shoot-me-first cape. I have thought about trying to make some funny drawstring modifications to a cover garment just for fun experimentation, like a hoody drawstring that actually pulls up the hem. Fumbles during garment clearance are the most common form of draw fumble for me. So kudos to people that are experimenting and getting creative with it...
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Sounds like it's intended to have some rope-a-dope, hey-lookie-over-there effect to it. It might buy a little bit of loop reset time.

Maybe you could combine it with an eye jab...

Unfortunately it's too dang windy around here to conceal well in an light weight open front shirt like that.

And you have to call it the Drawcula maneuver.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    but would it work with my cape?
    Man, what doesn't?
    Ignore Alien Orders

That definitely wouldn't work for me since the only cape-like article of clothing I wear on a regular basis depending on the weather is a leather duster. It's lighter than most expect, but definitely too heavy for the Dracula Draw.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911guy View Post
    Yeah, but you look like a tactical hobo in flip flops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A world without violence is about as likely as a world where I get to, um, "date" at least 3 A-list actresses and/or supermodels every single day. Ain't happening.

User Tag List