Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Dracula Draw....

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Was at range and took some video, youtube crushed the quality, I tried to upload it again with better quality (its 4k video) and it still changed it back to 480p.

First timed shot 1.00, second timed shot .98 (or .95 don't remember, not that it matters).

I wore a button down on purpose so that its clear that I am not lifting up the shirt with my left hand as the other video gave people the impression I was.
    Okay, that's what I do but with the piece at three o'clock. My shirts are square-hemmed.

As you noted, success depends upon the cut and drape of the shirt. It doesn't work with all my shirts… so I grab and lift with the left hand. Fractionally slower, yes… but positive.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Why has this back and forth gone on for 2 days?
    Because some of us were not sure of what we were seeing, and rather than dismiss the guy out of hand, asked for clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Okay, that's what I do but with the piece at three o'clock. My shirts are square-hemmed.

As you noted, success depends upon the cut and drape of the shirt. It doesn't work with all my shirts… so I grab and lift with the left hand. Fractionally slower, yes… but positive.

The technique I was speaking about in other videos is slightly similar. There are three techniques I use for AIWB, the one in the video above is a "from the side" draw. The one I was referring to previously is a "from the center" or "front" draw. There is a third that only has one step (these have two) which is much more difficult to do correctly. All the draws, however, are one handed and do not have aid from the left hand.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you normally leave the last button undone? Not beating the horse, genuinely curious, I've rolled that way a time or two but get leery of my heater poking out.

A lil velcro would probably be pretty handy to roll like this.
    Me personally, I have two button downs that I do as they're longer. The rest, no.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Back to the OP video of the draw, I was thinking that I do a lot of sitting behind a desk or driving. Sitting, I can one-handedly get under the garment for the gun. FYI, I use an OWB on my hip as that's comfy for me. Trying the draw, I can't see getting the garment out from under my fat back and tush.

Sorry, late to the horse beating party but I was out of town for a bit. Please take anything I say as personal preference under my own training and experiences and not "The" way of doing something. I will also say I had very little to no actual "formal" training in how I came to my own personal technique. Pretty much developed via trial and error in what worked and did not work under hundreds of hours and years of training. I acknowledge that there may be better out there and I remain open minded.

I perform and teach a very similar draw stroke to VDM with a twist, but still not new, as it can be done one or two handed and is more easily adapted and is consistent as a two handed draw when available or works well as a true one handed draw when the support hand is not available. The first set of VDM pics or video discussion I would call a two handed draw, no big deal as it is two handed draw and if both hands are available by all means use them to maximize the draw. No need to claim it is one handed when the support hand has some type of active participation, but it is a technique that can be used when only one hand is truly available.

The primary difference in my draw is that I do not personally scoop with the thumb but it is an option I teach. I don't scoop with the thumb because often my cover shirt is longer than my short arm reach. I also have better success when more variables are introduced into a scenario ie. a wider variety of cover clothing options be it design or weight of the cover. I also consider what I am doing at the time and body position when the action takes place, etc. The success of the draw stroke is not dependent on actually getting my thumb or fingers below the cover clothing from the start to "scoop it" upward. If I don't get low enough on the cover then I can still just as easily grab it and pull up. Longer to actually clear when the thumb under method does not hit the first time. I also find the thumb does not work as well with heavier cover clothing or button down shirts that have no "give" so to speak.

I have seen many very skilled people miss the draw under reality based scenarios when they attempt to scoop with the thumb. Success ratio in my mind lead me to what I currently perform and don't feel I am giving up anything for better consistency. When I perform the cupped 4 finger grab either as a one handed or two handed draw, for a lack of better description I "flag" my thumb and I use a cup motion with the fingers, but do not use the thumb as an opposing thumb to "grab" the shirt. I will then drive the thumb down in front of the cover clothing and set up on the draw. If my support hand takes an active role, it is a two handed draw. If the support hand is engaged and does not assist in the draw, it is a one handed draw. IME, it is still faster or more so consistent to capture the cover shirt with the support arm or hand as opposed to performing it as a true one handed draw stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    I have seen many very skilled people miss the draw under reality based scenarios when they attempt to scoop with the thumb.
    While I would not describe myself as "very skilled", I do have quite a bit of time doing this stuff under my belt, so to speak… and I miss with the thumb too on occasion, as noted in my post above.

Another aspect to this, Surf, you touched upon… the length of the shirt (I'm talking about hawaiian/guayaberra type shirts, and other button-up casual cover garments). My rule of thumb is to have the shirt hem drop no farther than my wrist/hand juncture, when my arms are hanging straight down at my side. Given that I have T-Rex length arms, this makes for rather short shirt hems; but I'm not looking for a job nor a woman, so the Fashion Police can kiss my ass.

Bottom line is this; IWB carry with a closed-front cover garment is an endeavor that one needs to stay current with; IOW, practice it a LOT.

User Tag List