Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Want a Colt? Move Fast.......

Site Supporter
    The XSE line is gone. The reasoning being stated publicly is that Colt took a look at their product offerings and eliminated models not in high demand in order to focus on providing a bigger supply of the guns their customers want.

This implies that the best selling Colt pistols are the 1991 line, the Series 70 Repros, The Gold Cup, and the Rail Gun (which has recently been updated). The Combat Elite is the only non-rail XSE-based gun remaining in the lineup.

The adds on gunbroker should be entertaining for the next couple months.

Reviewer of the Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'd like to see them leave for a Western or Southern right to work state.

I Live in Connecticut and I still agree with this statement.

KITTEN it.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'd like to see them leave for a Western or Southern right to work state.
    Because making R51s in a factory in a RTW state did wonders for Remington......

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post

So you think that is a valid comparison to 6920s in a RTW state?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post

LOL. Because the issue with the R51 was because of labor. Riiiiight.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    LOL. Because the issue with the R51 was because of labor. Riiiiight.
    It wasn't the engineering, the design, the materials, the construction. It was those darned rights. If only we got rid of them, it would have been perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post

The adds on gunbroker should be entertaining for the next couple months.
    I'd actually disagree with this viewpoint. The XSE will not be missed in the wider market. From the view of Joe Customer, why pay $1000 for a Colt when Kimber will sell them a superficially identical gun for $200 less? Or RIA/Taurus,for $300+ with more extras in the bargain?

Note-I realize the quality of the competition can be considered inferior from a practical perspective. That being said, Joe Customer neither knows or cares about actual quality: just appearances. A Kimber Custom II gets the demanded oohs and ahs at the range, for less lucre then the XSE.

On that subject, I hope the folks in Yonkers NY are taking notes. Kimber's entire handgun lineup consists of 1911s and a junktacular 9mm carry gun. If Armscor hires a competent marketing firm, Kimber'll be next to default on their bond payment...........
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    The XSE line is gone.
    While I've never been a fan of the XSE line-up, that surprises me. Just recently they've seemed to "fix" the things I didn't like about the XSE models, dropping the ducktail grip safety in favor of a beavertail and eliminating the ambidextrous thumb safety in favor of a strong side thumb safety.
    This implies that the best selling Colt pistols are the 1991 line, the Series 70 Repros, The Gold Cup, and the Rail Gun (which has recently been updated). The Combat Elite is the only non-rail XSE-based gun remaining in the lineup.
    If what you say is true, it seems kind of limiting for Colt. You can get a "retro" style with the 1991 or Series 70, a target Gold Cup, or a railed gun, but if you want what has become the baseline of what a 1911 has become over the last 30 years, beavertail/Novakish sights/lightened trigger (holes in it)/extended thumb safety/Commander hammer, your only option is the two tone Combat Elite?

I forgot about the Special Combat Government http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols/...vernment®.aspx , of course I've never been convinced their price up charge is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post

If what you say is true, it seems kind of limiting for Colt. You can get a "retro" style with the 1991 or Series 70, a target Gold Cup, or a railed gun, but if you want what has become the baseline of what a 1911 has become over the last 30 years, beavertail/Novakish sights/lightened trigger (holes in it)/extended thumb safety/Commander hammer, your only option is the two tone Combat Elite?
    Exactly.

Joe Customer can get a 'modern 1911' with more features then the XSE at a lower cost from Springfield (Range Officer), Taurus (junk it may be, but its still competition), Armscor (RIA Tactical) ,Kimber (Custom II) , and others.

What Joe Customer cannot get from those competitors are a genuine, old school GI Colt .Or a genuine Colt Gold Cup.

TL/DR ; Nostalgia sells. Overpriced product does not.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

If there is a fire sale, I see Kahr bidding for Colt. They've bought 620 acres here in PA... they're up to something bigger than a new HQ

User Tag List