Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lateral movement while engaging targets

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    There are two methods of shooting on the move that I like to practice.

I think the way TLG teaches shooting on the move, which is to maintain best upper body shooting platform with shoulders square to target, bend knees, get low, body weight forward, and just move the feet without trying to conform to some stylized method of foot movement like the shuffle step or groucho walk, etc., is pure gold, particularly for confined and cluttered spaces, or when the top priority is the shooting, but I'd also like to move at the same time. This is the way I generally shoot on the move in USPSA, because of the relatively large number of targets that often have to be engaged within a pretty short span of movement.

Shooting on the run, pointing my feet perpendicular to the target direction is how I like to do it when there is space available and the top priority is the movement, but I'd also like to shoot at the same time.

Those two ways can also flow back and forth to each other very well.

Two quick videos of the second method:

I may bump this thread with these vids once a week.

Mr. White - is there much difference in your visual acquisition of the front sight shooting at this speed from your stationary?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Lol.

No, not much difference at all. One of the most essential points in shooting accurately on the gentle run like that is to avoid letting the visual chaos that will be inherent to that amount of movement goad me into accepting less visual reference than usual. Visual reference is going to be less precise because of an aggravated wobble zone, but I still want the most precise visual reference I can get. I still use a sight picture composed of target, front sight, and rear sight, there's just more movement in it.

It can be tempting to aim using the slide silhouette or similar, and that can work, but I think it's less precise and I don't think it costs me anything to use the more precise sights instead.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Lol.

No, not much difference at all. One of the most essential points in shooting accurately on the gentle run like that is to avoid letting the visual chaos that will be inherent to that amount of movement goad me into accepting less visual reference than usual. Visual reference is going to be less precise because of an aggravated wobble zone, but I still want the most precise visual reference I can get. I still use a sight picture composed of target, front sight, and rear sight, there's just more movement in it.

It can be tempting to aim using the slide silhouette or similar, and that can work, but I think it's less precise and I don't think it costs me anything to use the more precise sights instead.
    Jeezus.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List