Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lateral movement while engaging targets

Site Supporter
    One thing to consider. When you move laterally by pointing the feet in the direction of travel, and turn the upper body to shoot (turret), you are offering your opponent a trans-torso shot that can get both your lungs and your heart with one shot. This is the classic broadside shot hunters wait for. If you are wearing armor (LE/Mil), you are offering the side arm-hole to your opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    One thing to consider. When you move laterally by pointing the feet in the direction of travel, and turn the upper body to shoot (turret), you are offering your opponent a trans-torso shot that can get both your lungs and your heart with one shot. This is the classic broadside shot hunters wait for. If you are wearing armor (LE/Mil), you are offering the side arm-hole to your opponent.
    I am not tracking with you, what am I missing?

If you are turning your upper body as a turret towards your target, your armor should be more square to the target than if you just continued to move. By opening your hips and orienting your upper body to the threat you are using more of a natural point of aim, and also bringing your armor towards the threat.
    Last edited by DNW; 05-22-2015 at 11:56 PM.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen anyone moving that fast while hitting low prob targets. That's pretty sick.
    Yeah, that is literally obscene.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    In our police world we're taught to just walk if it's further than one large lateral step. It's one less thing to think about, it's what you want to do naturally, etc. You will likely not be able to extend your arm closest to the target fully, but we also understand that in a confined space we may not be able to and we must adapt to the circumstances that present themselves.

We also tend to have horrid flexibility. Sitting in a car/desk chair and the duty belt means most of us have really tight lower backs, hips, etc. As un-manly as it sounds, try yoga and you'll find it easier to "tank turret" turn. I personally am much to manly to do yoga, but if I weren't as manly I would say it helped me quite a bit.
    I've been trying to avoid yoga for years, lol. Admittedly, I'm stiff as a board with very little flexibility. Gotta adapt or become obsolete, I guess.

That is some of the most impressive shooting I've seen.

And TG's point is definitely something to consider.

But daaammmmnnnnnnnn that shooting...I have to go reconsider everything I thought I knew about shooting.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Nyeti"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DNW View Post
    I am not tracking with you, what am I missing?

If you are turning your upper body as a turret towards your target, your armor should be more square to the target than if you just continued to move. By opening your hips and orienting your upper body to the threat you are using more of a natural point of aim, and also bringing your armor towards the threat.
    No one actually turns their torso 90 degrees while moving laterally. Also, for a right handed shooter moving to the left, most shoot with one hand, keeping the torso pointed in the direction of travel. This results in a perfect cross-torso shot availability.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    No one actually turns their torso 90 degrees while moving laterally. Also, for a right handed shooter moving to the left, most shoot with one hand, keeping the torso pointed in the direction of travel. This results in a perfect cross-torso shot availability.
    I see what you mean but what is the alternative...move and stop to shoot? Side Step?

Everything is a compromise. If you are shooting and moving, you are likely not doing either as well as you could. There are times when one or the other should be your priority. I see moving and shooting as a capability, or component skill, rather than a tactic. It's nice to be able to do if needed, but most times I would rather haul ass to a good position and shoot well from there.

Quote Originally Posted by DNW View Post
    Everything is a compromise. If you are shooting and moving, you are likely not doing either as well as you could. There are times when one or the other should be your priority. I see moving and shooting as a capability, or component skill, rather than a tactic. It's nice to be able to do if needed, but most times I would rather haul ass to a good position and shoot well from there.
    I agree but I was specifically referring to lateral movement without exposing the sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I'd like some tips about lateral moving while shooting. In the police world we train to never cross our legs/never have one leg behind the other while moving laterally. The result is usually a step-drag or gallop motion that seems horribly inefficient and slow. I tried just walking forward normally and turning my upper body towards the targets, but it doesn't seem to allow me to fully extend my arms.

What works for you?
    +1 for shooting 1 handed. Walk naturally and fire 1 handed when moving laterally works very well once practiced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List