Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you take this class?

Would you take this class?

Okay, an acquaintance of mine recently told me that some local LEO's are offering some pretty affordable firearms training within a very reasonable drive from my house. They're offering three classes: Level 1, level 2, and a low light/unusual circumstances class. From the info I have so far, there's 3 local officers instructing. One is a detective at the closest municipal PD, and the other 2 are deputies with the county sheriff's office. These are not large agencies.

The Level 1 class seems geared toward the novice, covering things like grip, stance, safety, sight alignment, etc. Level 2 is supposed to cover shooting on the move and some other more advanced things. The low light/unusual circumstances class is obviously supposed to be some low light work, and I think things like shooting WHO and single handed manipulations.

I do not know what kind of tactics they are teaching, and you have to take the classes in order, so you can't just jump past the basic stuff. I do not know the student to instructor ratio.

The main reasons I'm considering taking these are for the low light work, and hopefully for the opportunity either during lunch, breaks, or after class to ask these guys some questions about how the criminal element operates locally and hopefully learn some avoidance techniques, maybe even some places to avoid going altogether. Again, it's very affordable (less than 100 dollars per class) and the drive is close. I'm not expecting ECQC level work, just hoping to learn some stuff.

Money seems right. I'd like to get an idea of their training backgrounds as hopefully more than "Police Academy" or "US Army for XXX years"....

Last year I did a low light class with some SWAT guys from one of the top 10 largest cities in the country. I have done a little low/no light in the past with LAV and Louis Awerbuck. The class from the local SWAT guys was a total snooze fest culminating in us shooting at 8 1/2 x 11 pieces of paper, static, at 5 yards. The year before that some buddies and I took an "advanced" pistol course from some other local POST certified/SWAT guys. For $200 I got to shoot Dot Torture and some other P-F drills. I'm nothing special, but I'm not doing any more local LE instructor courses. You mentioned not expecting ECQC level work, but figuring dollar paid per hour, my ECQC class was cheaper and 100 times more informative.

I've had many classes with "top level" instructors/teachers. I've also taken a few classes locally that are offered free to LEO's put on by SWAT guys from a large metro agency. Overall, I was very impressed by the local guys. I would not rule them out. I guess it's a grab bag, maybe I've just been lucky

Site Supporter
    I would want to know more about their background, particularly what is their experience instructing and specifically what is their background / experience instructing firearms and use of force?

Do they have any references/past clients?

Do they have a written lesson plan/program of instruction ?

Might depend on where it is, and how accessible more advanced classes are without laying out big bucks, to include travel/lodging/meals.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I'll take almost any class. You've absolutely got to watch your own back, safety-wise, once you get there, but I even learn from the bad ones. For 100, why not? I just took a class offered locally on zip ties, duct tape and handcuff escape; nothing I hadn't been exposed to before, but I met some folks and had a nice night out for less than a ticket to madmax in 3D.

Will the class be worth it as far as shooting goes? I have no idea. If you're involved in a shooting later on will it look good that you took a class or classes from local LE? It sure wouldn't hurt.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

It all depends on the person teaching. Locally we have some pretty decent instructors, so I would recommend those classes, however on a national/name brand level I've been really disappointed a couple of times, so without more info, my answer would be "hard to say".

For the price I'd say it was worth a gamble to hit one of the classes and get a feel for those guys.
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 05-22-2015 at 07:51 AM.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Not enough info, but I'll toss in some questions.

What's the value of making local contacts?
    What's the value of asking a local detective what your local prosecutor is like and what issues they've seen in determining a good shoot?
    What's the value of getting intel on the issues you are likely to face in your own area?

IMO, those would be the biggest value in a locally hosted class.

If they can teach shooting beyond the most basic levels of proficiency, who knows? Tuition is always a bit of a gamble, but how much cash are you looking at?

User Tag List