Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol grip shotgun advice...

Pistol grip shotgun advice...

I already have a 12 gauge shotgun (8-shot Winchester Defender) for HD with an 18 inch barrel and a 12 inch LOP stock. I am considering adding a pistol grip 'stocked' (Speedfeed 'Birdshead' grip) 12 gauge shotgun (w/18 inch barrel) to my collection that would be strictly for indoor HD usage. I would probably want a Remington 870, or maybe a Mossberg. If I were to make it a Mossberg, which model(s) are better in terms of reliability and smoothness of the action? Also, any general thoughts on even the need for such a weapon would be appreciated greatly.

They look cool, but that's about where their usefulness ends... Unless it's dedicated to be a breaching tool. You just can not aim them well... And yes, you do need to aim shotguns at close and mid range.

As far as actions, the current 870's and Mossbergs aren't that smooth out of the box... They either need a little professional work or lots of time racking and shooting to truly smooth out.

I'd say if you really were looking into doing something for a fun project / novelty, check out shockwave technologies and their Non-AOW Mossberg PGO builds... http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=88

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

Pistol grip stocks and Mossbergs don't mix, you can't get your thumb up to the safety from a firing grip. A much better choice is the MagPul stock, which is near pistol grips ergonomics, but lets you run the safety.

The Mossberg 500s and 590s are good guns.
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 05-21-2015 at 02:55 PM.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Pistol grip only=NO

We had two very special 870's we used on SWAT. Robar built them over 20 years ago. They had 12" barrels and the rear stocks were significantly shortened, but could be shot from the shoulder, especially with heavy armor on. Did Al those "pistol grip" imagined missions much better and could do a ton of things you could not with a pistol grip.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

If you're concerned that a shotgun with a stock is too long, there's a couple "short-sticking" techniques that dont make the shotgun stick much further out than a pistol at low ready. See an earlier thread about recommended shotgun instructors.

Samuel, I understand about the trouble aiming a pistol grip shotgun, I had a Remington 870 with the LE only top folding stock back in the late 80's. I felt it also was top heavy. I would only want this as a dedicated close quarters indoor option.

Chuck, your point about the position of the safety is a good one, I had not known that, as I have shot but now personally owned any Mossbergs, only Remingtons and Winchesters.

nyeti, I tend to agree with your point here, and that is why I put a 12" LOP Hogue on my current shotgun. I know I can tuck the stock under my arm to help more, too.

Hopeton, I am guessing you might have been making the point to tuck the stock under the arm, or something similar. Can you direct me to this thread that you are talking about?

I have considered this idea a few times in the past, and I always decide to forget it every time, too. Sometimes it helps me to re-visit something just to be sure, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Pistol grip stocks and shotguns don't mix, you can't get your thumb up to the safety from a firing grip. A much better choice is the MagPul stock, which is near pistol grips ergonomics, but lets you run the safety.

The Mossberg 500s and 590s are good guns.
    Fixed it.

what is the opinion of the Mesa Tactical AR stock for the shotgun?

I would agree with everyone else. I had a 20" pistol grip 500 years ago. I bought it because it was $249 NIB, had huge capacity, and something about it just looked mean. A few buddies and I took it to the gravel pit and shot some basketballs and car doors, and it got sold a few weeks later to a friend who wanted to shoot more basketballs. Unless you need it to fulfill a specific role, it's basically just a redneck toy with horrible controls. IMHO a full stock is far more versatile.

Only pistol grip shotgun worth owning is a Serbu Super-Shorty, and it's a novelty. A novelty that's a literal blast to shoot, but a novelty nonetheless.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List