Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Week 113: Triple Nickel

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Wow, that's a smokin' draw from concealment.
    It sure would have been! If I had. Lol I missed another memo.

There's always next weekend.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Even if not, still a great draw, especially from a concealment rig.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Same engagement order.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/780361...posted-public/

Also I have a theory that shorter G19 mags insert faster and surer than a longer G17 mag. Could be my "software". Today I used 19 mags and used a 19 mag for my G26 reload yesterday.
    Likely a software issue. I was having the same issue with 17 mags. After years with shorter USPC and P229 mags I found I was gripping the 17 mags low, giving me less control resulting in slower and less consistent reloads. Ensuring I'm gripping the whole mag with my index finger tip to the top round took care of the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    For some reason it freaked me out when you just left the picture and a shot rang out. Other than that, nice.

Start position: Concealed
    Time: 4.75, 4.90, 4.96
    Hits: 30/30
    Gun/holster: M&P9, JMCK AIWB

Okay, so I probably screwed the setup on this. All of the uprights for the range's target stands were locked up, and we only had two sets, so I had to improvise. As a result I didn't get the required 18" between targets; it's close if you measure C-zone to C-zone. I was also starting with feet squared to the center target, but upper body turned toward the left. I guess from reading through the thread that that's a no-no.

For scheduling the reload, we tried with mags loaded both 9-1 and 8-2. Both myself and my cameraman found the 8-2 to be faster and flow smoother for whatever reason, even though the 9-1 should be faster by allowing you to game the drill with a sloppy support hand grip after the reload.

My three-in-a-row sub-5 runs. First run I had a bit of a hiccup in my cadence on T4. Second run saw a slow mag insertion; video shows a near-miss at the mag well. Third was smoothest but also the slowest overall (of those three, anyway).

Last edited by 2alpha-down0; 05-25-2015 at 10:46 PM.
    One of the biggest and most common mistakes gun owners make is assuming that they are done learning how to shoot.

I will try 8-2 this weekend. From concealment and centered. I chose 2-8 to reduce my odds of being surprised by my own planned reloads.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    For some reason it freaked me out when you just left the picture and a shot rang out. Other than that, nice.
    Lol "Not another delta!"

From a gaming perspective, why not load 9 rounds, shoot 8 and do a slide forward reload as you transition to the last target? That avoids a slide lock reload, and allows you to transition during the reload.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by 2alpha-down0 View Post
    Start position: Concealed
    Time: 4.75, 4.90, 4.96
    Hits: 30/30
    Gun/holster: M&P9, JMCK AIWB

Okay, so I probably screwed the setup on this. All of the uprights for the range's target stands were locked up, and we only had two sets, so I had to improvise. As a result I didn't get the required 18" between targets; it's close if you measure C-zone to C-zone. I was also starting with feet squared to the center target, but upper body turned toward the left. I guess from reading through the thread that that's a no-no.

For scheduling the reload, we tried with mags loaded both 9-1 and 8-2. Both myself and my cameraman found the 8-2 to be faster and flow smoother for whatever reason, even though the 9-1 should be faster by allowing you to game the drill with a sloppy support hand grip after the reload.

My three-in-a-row sub-5 runs. First run I had a bit of a hiccup in my cadence on T4. Second run saw a slow mag insertion; video shows a near-miss at the mag well. Third was smoothest but also the slowest overall (of those three, anyway).

9-1 should be appreciably slower because you are adding an extra transition between targets then executing the reload and reacquiring the same target.

Quote Originally Posted by Talionis View Post
    9-1 should be appreciably slower because you are adding an extra transition between targets then executing the reload and reacquiring the same target.
    I agree. When I shoot the Triple Nickel, I like shooting 8-2 myself.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List