Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 113: Triple Nickel

Week 113: Triple Nickel

Week 113: Triple Nickel

Results may be posted until June 22nd, 2015.

Designed by: the Federal Air Marshal firearms training unit
    Range: 5 yards
    Target: see below
    Start Position: from concealment or a duty/retention holster
    Rounds Fired: 10

Targets can be (a) the 4/5 zone of a Transtar II, (b) the bottle of a QIT target, (c) the A/B/C zones of a USPSA Metric target, or (d) the -0 and -1 zones of an IDPA target. Any bullet strike completely within the designated area counts as a hit; any strike that touches the line or falls outside the designated area counts as a miss. There must be at least 18" between each target.

Shooter begins facing the target, hands at sides, gun in holster loaded with no more than nine rounds (shooter chooses to load anywhere between one and nine rounds). On the buzzer, draw and fire exactly two shots at each of the five targets. Shooter will need to perform a reload to accomplish this.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Start position (concealed or duty)
    Time
    Number of hits
    Make and model of gun and holster

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Start position: Concealed, vest
    Time: 7.31
    Number of hits: 10
    Make and model of gun and holster: Glock 34 Gen 3 from a CompTac OWB holster

And is it not true that to earn a Triple Nickel coin at the Fed training institution one had to get all hits in 5 seconds or better?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    And is it not true that to earn a Triple Nickel coin at the Fed training institution one had to get all hits in 5 seconds or better?
    Yes, and it was considered a significant accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Yes, and it was considered a significant accomplishment.
    I consider it a massive accomplishment since the first time I tried this several years ago. It was futile then. Looking forward to giving it another go.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

That's why its called the triple nickel and not the double nickel...:-)

Just shot this from my concealment set up.

4.37 secs
    10 hits.
    G22 with JM AIWB rig.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    That's why its called the triple nickel and not the double nickel...:-)

Just shot this from my concealment set up.

4.37 secs
    10 hits.
    G22 with JM AIWB rig.
    Nice run! Can you leave it set up until I come over and shoot it, I don't have five target stands in any one place.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Well...I just looked my notes over again, and now I'm not sure about my time. I shot a FAST and a Triple Nickel. One was 4.37, the other was 4.57. I thought the Nickel was the .37, but now I'm not sure. I need to take better practice notes...

Have never tried this before. I like it as it works a couple of things I need a lot of work on, target transitions and surprise reloads. It also works a couple of things that always need improvement, the draw and trigger speed.

Start position (concealed or duty) Concealed, sweatshirt.
    Time 6.82
    Number of hits 10
    Make and model of gun and holster Gen 4 G17 Fricke Archangel

YMMV, but this is definitely the type of drill that I am slower on when using the RMR gun. Iron sights were scheduled for this range session, but I grabbed the RDS gun for a couple of runs just to compare. It added about 1 second average to my time.

I think when I tried this a few years back I was chasing too much sight picture. 5 yds to big target I will try just shooting an index.

User Tag List