Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Keypad Deadbolts

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    While you can order locks keyed alike or get a locksmith to set the pins, if you go to a major chain store and look through the stock at the key code numbers, it is often possible to get multiple sets with the same key. Kind of makes me wonder how many people have the same keys and do not even know it. FWIW, I like the Schlage double deadbolts with cut out that is supposed to help against bump picking. Recently picked up a Medeco lock for a special project and they are impressive albeit expensive and a PIA to get extra keys. While researching locks one can't help but notice that youtube is borderline criminally filled with howtos on bypassing locks, many of which actually work.
    Well, as they say, locks only keep out the honest people.

I often chuckle as people spend $150/opening on Medeco and then have 20+ windows in the home. Even "impact glass" only slows people down, it doesn't prevent a determined burglar from getting in.

I've tried picking through the bin to get matching sets/numbers before, and the most I've ever come up with is two.

The cool thing about that build.com website above is that if you already have a lock on-hand (and I think I may have a couple of spares at home) you can order all the new ones to match what you already have. Or, if you have a bunch of deadbolts you can order the knobs to match.

Question for those using keypads...

At my current house I three exterior doors, and have a keypad on one of them. All have deadbolts keyed alike, and all have simple passage hardware at the knobs, no key/lock. From a security standpoint, is this an issue or do we simply default back to the 20 windows scenario?

I'm considering getting keypad knobs at the three doors, and getting deadbolts for all openings, which would allow me to lock out the keypad when I want to such that even if someone had the code they couldn't get in if they didn't have the physical key for the deadbolt. of course, as soon as I do that, I'll wind up locking myself out...

Already been posted.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'm considering getting keypad knobs at the three doors, and getting deadbolts for all openings, which would allow me to lock out the keypad when I want to such that even if someone had the code they couldn't get in if they didn't have the physical key for the deadbolt. of course, as soon as I do that, I'll wind up locking myself out...
    That is my thinking as well. I am thinking of getting one of the knob ones for the door I most commonly use. So the maid or anyone else I deem can get in, and so if I leave the house for around the extremely large yard the door is lockable without me worrying about forgetting the key (happened to me more than once).

But I still have the dead bolt for when I want no one but the couple of key holders to get in.

I am hoping that I can find a higher security dead bolt that uses the same key. As others have posted the Kwikset smart key has been found to be easy to breach. Yes I know cheap windows (though they actually aren't they are hurricane glass), but if I am buying dead bolts I'll spend an extra few dollars for the three I have to buy for a better model.

Security Snobs stocks quality locks and they've been quick to process and to ship.

https://securitysnobs.com/Information-Pages.html

Spent the first weekend at the new house. Confirmed that all of the exterior doors are on kwikset knobs and deadbolts, including the guest house and shop. Also confirmed that some of these doors need to get on a keypad pronto as scurrying around to find keys is a pain.

Four sets of French doors, cabana bath, front door, garage door, door to the garage, guest, shop... 10 openings all keyed alike but all on shit hardware. A couple of the doors have passage knobs but basically it's going to mean 10 deadbolts and 10 knobs. The idea is to have the guest, shop, and one set of French doors in the back on the keypads. Significant other is (a) not jazzed about not having everything keyed alike (b) not jazzed about dropping all that cash on "fixing" something a that "isn't broken", and (c) basically thinks a lock is a lock.

I'm not sure if there's a way to order the Kwikset keypads already keyed to match the house, or if they are user-configurable to rekeying them to match the existing keys?

As much as I want Schlage all around, domestic bliss and budget are going to be prohibitive right now.

Well, looks like the Kwikset smart key thing will let me set it to the current key, so that's a "plus" given I'm starting from a deficit. Of course, it looks like you can buy the Kwikset master key all over the internet as well, so there's that...

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Spent the first weekend at the new house. Confirmed that all of the exterior doors are on kwikset knobs and deadbolts, including the guest house and shop. Also confirmed that some of these doors need to get on a keypad pronto as scurrying around to find keys is a pain.

Four sets of French doors, cabana bath, front door, garage door, door to the garage, guest, shop... 10 openings all keyed alike but all on shit hardware. A couple of the doors have passage knobs but basically it's going to mean 10 deadbolts and 10 knobs. The idea is to have the guest, shop, and one set of French doors in the back on the keypads. Significant other is (a) not jazzed about not having everything keyed alike (b) not jazzed about dropping all that cash on "fixing" something a that "isn't broken", and (c) basically thinks a lock is a lock.

I'm not sure if there's a way to order the Kwikset keypads already keyed to match the house, or if they are user-configurable to rekeying them to match the existing keys?

As much as I want Schlage all around, domestic bliss and budget are going to be prohibitive right now.
    I fought this same issue with my wife. Here is how I argued it.

1) These are the same locks and keys that the previous owner used.
    2) There is no guarantee that we have ALL of the keys.
    3) Thus, at a minimum, it makes sense to re-key the locks.
    4) The cost to replace the locks is not much more than the re-key and the new locks are better.
    5) You and your stuff will be a little less likely to be hurt or stolen.

If you live in SE Florida, are the windows and door glass compliant with the Miami-Dade building test standards (TAS 201 and TAS 203) for windows and installation? If so, unauthorized entry through the window and door glass is much tougher than it appears. Not going to stop a determined person, but will stop the kind of idiot who tries to gain entry by throwing a rock through a window. I went with these windows after a tornado near-miss threw a rock through a picture window, spraying the breakfast nook and kitchen with glass. We found glass for weeks after the event.

Upgrading the locks is a worthwhile endeavor though I would be tempted to choose an unusual lock like a BiLock, just because it is unusual. Not many people know how to beat that lock because there are so few of them. The issue with those locks is the price and the hassle of getting extra keys made. I would buy most locks keyed the same and go with the option for two keys per lock to get all the keys I will ever need up front.

I installed the Schlage keypad unit in my Florida house on the advice of a locksmith who said the locking mechanism was the most robust and least complicated of the "Home Depot" available units. He installed the Mul-T-Lock cylinder in the Schlage unit to increase the lock's security and avoid key duplication issues. System works great.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I fought this same issue with my wife. Here is how I argued it.

1) These are the same locks and keys that the previous owner used.
    2) There is no guarantee that we have ALL of the keys.
    3) Thus, at a minimum, it makes sense to re-key the locks.
    4) The cost to replace the locks is not much more than the re-key and the new locks are better.
    5) You and your stuff will be a little less likely to be hurt or stolen.
    This is the argument(s) I'm making now. Problem is, $1k in something as mundane as 10 passage sets, 7 deadbolts, and 3 keypads just isn't as fun as $1k in new furniture, dishes, etc. While *I* may get that the $1k in locks helps protect the $1k in fun shit, that isn't always clear to other people. and even I think it's boring and lame.

If you live in SE Florida, are the windows and door glass compliant with the Miami-Dade building test standards (TAS 201 and TAS 203) for windows and installation? If so, unauthorized entry through the window and door glass is much tougher than it appears. Not going to stop a determined person, but will stop the kind of idiot who tries to gain entry by throwing a rock through a window. I went with these windows after a tornado near-miss threw a rock through a picture window, spraying the breakfast nook and kitchen with glass. We found glass for weeks after the event.
    Yes, I am in SE FL, and I'm also in the construction biz, so I'm very familiar with ratings, testings, etc. of impact windows, as well as their limitations. But here again, 4 pairs of double glass french doors, 3 single french doors, 3 solid core doors, plus all of the windows, when the ones we have now "work just fine" is a tough sell.

The good news is that, while are are in SE FL, we are about as far N and W as you can get, which means that crime is much less of an issue than those parts in the Southern and Middle parts of the region. It's part of the reason we're moving.

I just added up the totals on build.com to replace all the hardware. $900, give or take.

Any thoughts on passage vs. keyed knobs? Schlage and Kwikset both recommend passage (non-keyed) operators for doors with keypad deadbolts. It makes sense, as otherwise you could lock yourself out inadvertantly. They recommend keypad operators only in cases where there is no deadbolt. In other words, if you have a deadbolt they suggest that being the keypad with no lock on the knob, and if you have only a knob then you put the keypad there, but you don't do a keyed deadbolt and keypad knob. In fact, I'm not sure the interior-side mounting plate for the knob would clear the deadbolt.

I'm thinking 3 keypads, 5 double-cylinder deadbolts (at glass doors), 2 single-cylinder deadbolts (at solid doors), and 10 passage operators.

User Tag List