Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keypad Deadbolts

Keypad Deadbolts

Anyone a fan? I've tried various "smart" connected versions which I've not been successful at getting to be very smart, so I'm interested in non-smart versions like this one that seems to be a consumer reports recomendation
    http://www.schlage.com/en/home/produ...:brand/schlage

Any better makes/models I should be looking at?

With several french doors, I'm really pretty exposed regardless of the lock I choose.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    I have that same model Schlage in a slightly different style. I like it a lot. I picked it up after seeing my cousin use one on his house for about a year. I've had mine for maybe 6 months. We're both happy with them: no complaints to report so far.
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

I have http://www.kwikset.com/products/styl...deadbolts.aspx on my doors and have 3 years of use on them. I'm very pleased. Battery life has been excellent, I change them yearly. The smart key is really nice too.
    Last edited by Tooln; 05-22-2015 at 06:30 AM.

Something else to consider is that I'm looking at about three keypads and 6 standard deadbolts. In terms of the standard deadbolts, I'm a big Schlage fan. I know I've seen things like 6-packs of identical keyed locks but can't seem to find more than a two-pack now. Trying to avoid the locksmith fees.

Site Supporter
    Don't know anything about keypads.

I purchased all my house locks from Build.com, nice deadbolts and locks on the handles, it was no charged to have them all keyed the same. Some reason the house/garage I bought has 6 outside doors. All had different keys when I moved in. 12 locks, all keyed the same.

I just wish I could get my truck keyed the same.

I've had amazing customer service from Build.com.

Cookie Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Don't know anything about keypads.

I purchased all my house locks from Build.com, nice deadbolts and locks on the handles, it was no charged to have them all keyed the same. Some reason the house/garage I bought has 6 outside doors. All had different keys when I moved in. 12 locks, all keyed the same.

I just wish I could get my truck keyed the same.

I've had amazing customer service from Build.com.

Cookie Monster
    That's great info, thanks. Looks like I can get all 6 deadbolts and three keypads keyed the same.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Trying to avoid the locksmith fees.
    I bought at one of the chain stores (honestly forget whether it was Home Depot or Lowes) and they keyed multiple locks for me at no charge.
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I bought at one of the chain stores (honestly forget whether it was Home Depot or Lowes) and they keyed multiple locks for me at no charge.
    I live in SE Florida. I do not interact with the public, and there is no hope of any sort of competent customer service.

While you can order locks keyed alike or get a locksmith to set the pins, if you go to a major chain store and look through the stock at the key code numbers, it is often possible to get multiple sets with the same key. Kind of makes me wonder how many people have the same keys and do not even know it. FWIW, I like the Schlage double deadbolts with cut out that is supposed to help against bump picking. Recently picked up a Medeco lock for a special project and they are impressive albeit expensive and a PIA to get extra keys. While researching locks one can't help but notice that youtube is borderline criminally filled with howtos on bypassing locks, many of which actually work.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by Tooln View Post
    I have http://www.kwikset.com/products/styl...deadbolts.aspx on my doors and have 3 years of use on them. I'm very pleased. Battery life has been excellent, I change them yearly. The smart key is really nice too.
    Smart key has has been found easy to defeat unless they upgraded it recently.
    http://youtu.be/sR-h64WwfW8

User Tag List