Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AAR Costa Ludus Low-Light Vehicle CQB - 2015-05-16/17 - Houston, TX

AAR Costa Ludus Low-Light Vehicle CQB - 2015-05-16/17 - Houston, TX

I apologize ahead of time for any vagueness, omissions, or mistakes in the AAR, as my notes are a bit incomplete, due to the fast tempo of the class and various times of reduced visibility due to lack of lighting.

Low Light Vehicle CQB is an accelerated shooting class focused on positional shooting and critical light manipulations in and around vehicles.

Students will push the boundaries of “traditional” cover and concealment utilizing various cars and trucks in a true 3D environment. Drills will incorporate adverse shooting platforms with critical weapon employment while engaging threats in, around, from, over and under vehicles. Lighting principles and threat assessment all play a major factor in this course. Live ballistic demos with a variety of ammunition will be conducted as the class explores ballistic deflection, deformation, penetration and terminal effect in direct correlation to various vehicle mediums.
    This was my first course with an emphasis on vehicles. I had small amount of prior knowledge of vehicle ballistics through online reading and informal discussions with well-versed acquaintances; I have also taken multiple pistol courses from various well-regarded instructors, including several low-light courses, some edged weapons work, some combatives, and one carbine course.

I used an H&K P30LS with the Grayguns Reduced Reset Carry Perfection Package carried in condition 1, with an X400 Ultra - Green laser mounted with the DG-11 and zeroed for 25 yards. Sights were a Trijicon RMR RM06 mounted by L&M Precision, with a Dawson Precision suppressor height front sight and Ameriglo suppressor height rear sight mounted behind the RMR. Lube was FIREClean, magazines were modified with Taylor Freelance Border Special +5 magazine extentions with the included Wolff springs (these were the first generation product that I loaded only up to +4), carried using Kytex Shooting Gear open top magazine carriers. My handheld was the Surefire E1B, slightly modified with a zip tie and two Scünci No Damage elastic hair bands to form a jury rigged lanyard. For the TD1, besides the usage of an addition of a second magazine carrier, removal of the phone from my belt, and replacement of my low-cut sneakers for Salomon trail runners, my set-up was identical to my EDC: appendix carry with a slightly modified RCS Phantom at the 0100 position, t-shirt with relatively form-fitting jeans, The Wilderness Ti Instructor belt, SFB, folders, etc. PPE used were Oakley M-Frames 3.0, MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X with gel earpads and OC Tactical headband, and Arc'teryx Knee Caps. Round count of the P30LS was 14532 at the start of the class.

William Petty was the primary instructor, with Matthew Shockey as the AI. Class started at about 1000. Weather was very warm, reaching the mid 80s °F, with high humidity, wind, and intermittent cloud cover. It had been raining regularly for the entire week, hence the humidity, along with making the sand on the range damp and clumpy. There were 11 students in the class, 1 active duty member of the military (MP position), 3 LEOs, and the rest were civilians. All of the students had some prior trainig of sorts. There were 2 S&W M&Ps 9mm, an XD (or XDm?), a Wilson Combat 1911, an H&K P30LS, and the rest were Glocks.

We started out in the classroom, with Will giving his background: he started out as a LEO in Albuquerque. He noted that while there were many vehicle classes being taught, most were geared toward a team-based assault, as seen in military, SWAT, or contractor environments, but such techniques were usually not very applicable to the average patrol officer or civilian. As a firearms instructor, he also noted a large amount of training being done is not reflective of reality. After several vehicle involved OISes in which there were LODDs, Will took a hard look at the training that had been taught about vehicle CQB, combined with his exposure when he worked overseas with various foreign units, and his own informal ballistic testing, he created the vehicle CQB training program he now used. Notably, this was only the fifth open enrollment class for this particular subject, though Will had taught this many times for LE-only audiences. Despite coming from an LE background, Will stated that what was being taught in the class was perfectly applicable to any audience, as gunfighting around the car is basically the same whether one is military, LE, or civilian. Still, because there are obviously physical differences between different set-ups, e.g., EDC vs. duty belt vs. war belt, Will encouraged us to run the drills in the kit that we would benefit from the most.

Will then had us consider how much time we spend in or around cars, along with other outside considerations that might force one to end a threat as soon as possible, instead of retreating or prolonging the fight, e.g., we're with family, etc. He then put on a slide show to show us some basic principles. CQB is defined as being short duration, high intensity, and close range. Given the circumstances, most of the video that are accessible to civilians will be LE dash cams. Will then showed us video of a traffic stop, in which multiple rounds were dumped through a window.

He then went over the principles of CQB:

• It is still, and always, about the gun, not the vehicle. It doesn't matter how good your vehicle tactics are because it's the gun that solves the problem.
    • Shooting around, above, or under is always better than through vehicle parts. Shooting through barriers invariably lead to deflection, which alters trajectories and ballistics, and can also degrade bullet performance due to deformation of the round. Given the choice, one wants the least amount of outside influences between the target and one's round once it has left the barrel.
    • Offset properly to better utilize lighting. One wants to maximize the amount of light being sent downrange, rather than having it wasted on splashing back on one's self.
    • Get in and out of positions with a quickness. A classic issues of action vs. reaction; it is always better to force the opponent to react to you rather than the other way around.
    • Rounds skip, but don't let that hinder you. Gunfighting is inherently dangerous, so do not become paralyzed when rounds start skipping, as one must act to prevail.
    • Make your drills realistic. If one is a civilian, running handgun drills with a plate carrier is not very reflective of real life. A patrolman doesn't roll up to traffic stops with a carbine tucked between their legs, so they should be made to fight toward one if one is needed in a drill.
    • Vehicles can be used as an excellent weapon, should the opportunity allow.
    • Keep is simple. Taking off a seat belt is taking off a seat belt, it's something everyone does every day, and usually has zero issues. Same thing goes for opening doors, etc. There is no reason to overcomplicate things.
    • Vehicle anatomy plays a vital role.
    • Learn to fight in the position you find yourself in, rather than the position you like to be in. Most anyone can make decent hits when standing on the square range.
    • High ground wins fights. Being in an elevated position gives one a position of dominance. Note that high ground can mean many things, such as someone standing vs. someone prone, someone in a lifted truck vs. someone in a compact sedan, etc.

We then went over the safety rules. Will runs a hot range, and stressed for us to know the condition of one's weapon. He stated that that one should always index in the safest position possible, and noted that this may not always be down, despite what many other instructors tend to insist on. Weapon manipulations were to be done only as fast as one could go while still being in control; this was a training class and not a competition, so there were no prizes for being the fastest. He instructed us to always consciously work the trigger and any mechanical safeties, especially during movements and barricades. Always PID the target, its angle of engagement, and the offset. For any drills that have a no-shoot, shooting a no-shoot will automatically result in being DQed for that drill. We were to always have eye pro and ear pro on while on the range unless told otherwise. Everyone was a safety officer, so if seeing something unsafe, speak up. Any call for a ceasefire should cause an automatic stopping of any shooting that was occurring. There were multiple IFAKs and FAKs available between the instructors and the students, while there was information about Life Flight LZ coordinates printed out. If LifeFlight was not available due to weather conditions, we had directions to the closest trauma center printed out, too. We turned in our waivers at this time, then headed out to the range.

I had printed out and filled out my waiver, but had forgotten to bring it. I seem to always forget at least one thing for every class.

The first drill of the day was a simple standing drill, 3 to 5 rounds to the A zone of the cardboard target from ~7 yards. After engaging the target, Will stated that we should make sure to follow the target down to the ground with the weapon, then scan and assess, including the rear. Keep the finger off the trigger while following the target down, since no decision to shoot has been made, and there is no time lost between keeping the finger on or off the trigger. Will's reasoning for a scan and assess was rather unique, though, compared to most instructors. Besides the obvious searching for more threats and better positioning, he was also very concerned about finding friendlies, particularly those that might be trying to get in the fight and might end up accidentally shooting you. Will noted that only 10% of OISes involved multiple threats (which is not to say multiple threats were engaged; many situations is simply one being shot while another surrenders or flees). Thus, more targets is definitely a consideration, but not the primary one in his view. Will also prefers that we come back out against the target one last time after finishing our scan and assess, before we holster. This drill was run five times.

Will's ideas on why one should scan and assess was definitely something I had not thought seriously about before. Like many others, my reasons for scanning and assessing were rooted in what conventional wisdom said, that you should be looking for more threats. This certainly gave me much to think about, and it also became very clear later on why Will considered such a thing important. As for the shooting itself, it was fairly trivial, as it should have been, since there were no time constraints.

Will then ran a demo of sorts, where he illustrated two different speeds in which he shot the target based off of the shot timer response. He kept all of his manipulations across both speeds, but one was substantially quicker than the other (~.10 seconds vs. ~.50); the difference in speed was due to the fact that in the slower iteration, Will was shooting only after the entire beep of the shot timer finished, while in the faster iteration, he shot immediately upon perceiving the beep. Will did this to illustrate that to have an overall faster time, one can react immediately to a stimulus, whether it be a shot timer or a gun shot, rather than waiting for the stimulus to end before initiating a reaction. As he put it, it's far better to react quicker than to go faster.

We then started to get into more unconventional positions. Beyond the simple kneel, Will also advocates the squat, which is generally not seen very often. This is because the lower one gets while posted up on a vehicle, the less one can see usually, and the less mobility one has. In Will's experience in FoF CQB around vehicles, people who tend to kneel usually are dominated by people who tend to squat. We then proceeded to run the same drill as before, except we were to go from a standing position to a squat; Will advised us that it would be much more efficient to draw while squatting, rather than trying to do them as two separate actions. When coming back up from the squat, we were to scan and assess at both levels. Will did not plan on drilling the squat too much, simply because it is a very fatiguing position, and overdoing it would leave us too fatigued to properly utilize it in the more complex drills we'd have later on. He also touched up on at this time the reason he chose 3 to 5 rounds on target, rather than the standard two: the simple fact is, most people take much more than two rounds to make them a non-threat. However, burning 10 to 15 rounds on a target would make the round count for the class excessively high, so the 3 to 5 was a happy medium of sorts.

For me, it was rather difficult to draw and squat the same time, as I carried appendix, and I tended to lean forward while squatting, thus blocking my draw stroke. I tended to draw first than squat.

Next, Will went over kneeling. Traditionally speaking, it has been taught that one should step forward or step back to kneel. However, this can cause issues when working with a partner (particularly applicable to LE patrol), as stepping forward or back could impede your partner's movement, or when in an enclosed area (e.g., parking lot), where there simply isn't enough space to properly step forward or back. Also, utilizing the standard step kneeling position, one is quite stable forward and backwards, but is quite unstable laterally. Lastly, it tends to be a very painful position when conducted on concrete without kneepads. Instead, Will prefers an alternate method, where one breaks the position of the ankle on the leg that's going down, and then drops straight down, so that the inside of the calf and knee are against the ground. Not only is this space efficient, but this also allows one to load the leg where the knee is still up, so that mobility is retained, as it is much faster to get up and move about. Of course, to use this position, one would need to be standing with a good base, with some blading to begin with, with the front leg loaded. However, this position naturally looks rather aggressive, and is conducive going hands-on, which is typically how patrol would most likely be solving their problems anyway. Also, Will noted that one should stay low if there is a need to switch knees, as one might need to do when switching sides of the barricade. Instead of standing up and then getting back down, one can simply switch knees. We then did several dry runs of kneeling while drawing, before going live for about five reps. Will also noted that one should not holster while still kneeling, as a target can go down behind concealment, and we can't ID that issue until we have stood up, especially if the target goes down not due to one's bullets, but perhaps to their own movement issues; Will has seen video where LEOs have engaged a target, the target falls, but because they trip over something rather than being hit, and the officer assumes that the target is neutralized when it's not.

Being young, fairly flexible (enough to be considered an oddity among the males at my BJJ gym), and having knee protection, I had a tendency to force the kneel while my legs were too close together, so that while I was able to get down, it was rather awkward, as I'd have a lot of tension going on. Haver I started more consciously making myself get in a better position before kneeling, it felt much more stable

Will then went over the double kneel, where both knees are on the ground. While inferior to the single kneel, as it has much less mobility, as Will noted, while walking or standing normally, it's a far easier position to get into than the single kneel. He also instructed us to post one leg out, so as to get into a single kneel, before standing up, rather than trying to simply rock our way up, as the latter can be very fatiguing. While actually in the double kneel, one should have their toes loaded, rather than having the whole top of the feet laying directly on the ground, that way one can push off easier, while also helping prevent ankle injuries. It was noted that these would be the same kind of kneeling as used with using long guns. Will also stated that he doesn't like to get into too many different positions, due to issues with Hick's Law, which essentially states that the more options one has for solving a problem, the longer it'll take to make a decision. Obviously, some options are needed in order to solve a problem, but too many can cause analysis paralysis, and as CQB is defined as being short duration, one does not have much time to make a decision as to what option to pick.

Will also went over the idea of "combat effective" or "combat accurate". In his experience, those phrases are generally used by people with weaker shooting abilities trying to mask their weakness. Will believes that one should strive to make one's groups as tight as possible, that maximizing accuracy should be the goal in training, as speed will come naturally while under stress. Will preferred to state that one is either accurate, or one isn't, no in-betweens.

At this point, 1215, we broke for lunch.

We resumed class at 1335, and went into talking about prone. While prone is obviously and undesirable position for the most part in CQB (high ground wins fights), one may very well still find themselves in it, whether it be due to falling, injuries, trying to shoot under a car, etc. Thus, one should be in prone only for the temporary advantages it might offer, or else if one ends up there by circumstances. There are three basic types of prone, depending on one's position relative to the ground: being on one's back, being on one's side, and being on one's stomach. Being on one's stomach is the worse place to be, as it is very difficult to track a target that is moving left to right; we did not go over it much, and nor was it utilized except by accident during the various drills later on.

Next up was urban prone, or the rollover prone, which can track targets much better. The key part to remember about urban prone is to have the top leg forward, to minimize any tension that your hips would generate in relation to your chest, as you would then have to fight to keep the pistol from being driving off target. Will noted that many people will try to break the wrists and cant the head somewhat while in urban prone, which reduces one's ability to manage recoil and track targets; instead, one should keep the gun and head parallel to the deck. Another consideration for urban prone is how it can be used to shoot under vehicles, while such a thing may not be feasible while being prone on one's stomach, simply due to the length of a 30 round magazine. When going done to urban prone, one keeps to gun forward with the strong hand, the weak hand goes down to keep the body posted as it goes down ("under" the strong arm if laying on the strong side), then the top leg goes forward to stabilize the position. To get up, one uses the support hand to push one's body up into a kneeling position, while rotating the body behind the gun, as the gun is pointed forward at all times. One should be careful with how forward the top leg is placed, as there is the possibility of muzzling one's self when using an SBR or handgun when tracking a target. We then did dry runs using two lines, first going to the right, then the left. After the dry runs, we then went for live runs, firing three rounds into the pelvic girdle of the targets, strictly to minimize the possibility of sending a round over the berm, rather than any real belief about the viability of the pelvic girdle as a preferred target. As Will stated, there are only two ways to end a fights once the enemy is committed: either a CNS hit or else bleeding out, and given the difficulty of hitting the head in a real situation, the optimal target is the upper thoracic cavity. This was first run on the right side, then the left, then transitioning between the two.

Like my first exposure to urban prone, I would occasionally make the mistake of putting the top leg back instead of foward. Also, the transitioning from side to side on the urban prone gave us a first taste of the physicality this course would entail. Also, given the pressures on the shoulder, my index was a bit off, which made finding the dot on the RMR much slower, a staple criticism of pistol slide-mounted RDSes.

Finally, Will went over what he considered to be the best prone position, being on one's back (although technically speaking, that's the opposite of being prone). His argument is based on the idea that vision is the primary source of information in a gunfight, and so stomach has the least amount of visibility, while urban prone affords about 50% visibility, and supine gives a full cone of vision. Given how information wins fights, and how one can't solve problems without information, Will argues that supine is indeed the best prone position in CQB. When in a supine position, keep one's head up. In order to draw in a supine, for appendix, simply drop the legs down so that one doesn't muzzle them, then draw. For those that have a strong side holster, they will have to pop the hip and chest up a bit so that the arm has enough room to draw the pistol properly. Again, we shot at the pelvic girdle for safety reasons. While starting in the supine, we transitioned to kneeling and urban prone throughout each iteration of the drill.

Again, the transitioning required some degree of athleticism to pull off.

We then moved on to vehicle ballistics. The most obvious thing is to first define cover, and how it differs from concealment. Cover, as defined by Will, is something that protects you from the threat, while concealment merely denies your threat information about you. Next up, Will discussed core-jacket separation, which is when a round impacts an intermediate barrier and has separation between the lead core and copper jacket. Bonded ammunition uses bullets in which the jacket and the core have been, well, bonded together through an electrical or electrochemical process. Will also noted that core-jacket separation happened quite often even with bonded rounds, despite what ammuntion reps and conventional wisdom stated. He then gave a basic overview of kinetic energy, which he defined as being the amount of work a body in motion (the fired bullet in our case) can perform. The equation for kinetic energy is KE = (1/2) * mass * velocity ^ 2. Velocity is generally measured in FPS, while mass is in grains. Thus, a 115 gr. bullet travelling at 1200 FPS would have less kinetic energy than a 124 gr. bullet travelling at 1200 FPS. Since core-jacket separation would entail the loss of mass from the bullet, it is obviously an undesirable thing to occur. And since we cannot control the speed of the bullet when shooting the gun, we can only control the weight of the bullet, by making sure it doesn't hit any intermediate barriers that might cause core-jacket separation.

Conventional wisdom states that the only places that provide cover on the car is the engine block and the wheels. However, Will noted that the purpose of a vehicle is transport and protect. So the question then became, which areas of the car was designed to absorb kinetic energy in order to try and keep the occupants safe? Will figured that the various pillars of the car would be excellent at absorbing kinetic energy, and so he started to shoot various rounds into the A-pillar, with the hope that a round would be able to punch through both A frames and then hit the target set up on the other side of the vehicle (a 2007 Volvo S70), starting with 9mm Para out of a Glock 17.

The first round was simple ball 115 gr. Despite conventional wisdom stating that ball is superior for intermediate barrier threats, the round did not exit the first A-pillar, and exhibited significant core-jacket separation. The Hornady Critical Defense 135 gr. went deeper into the A-pillar, but again did not make it all the way through. Again, core-jacket separation. The same with Winchester SXT 147 gr., did not exit the first A-pillar, exhibited core-jacket separation. Will then noted that this behavior with the A-pillar was not unique to the Volvo, but across almost all road-worthy vehicles, due to DoT regulations and standards. At this point, it was satisfactorily shown that the pillars on a car would make great cover against 9mm.

The next step up would obviously be the .40 S&W, which is often selected by LEAs for their supposed improvement over 9mm Para for barrier penetration. A Glock 22 shooting ball, Winchester SXT 180 gr., and Hornady Critical Duty 175 gr. all failed to fully penetrate the A-pillar, and all exhibited core-jacket separation. Likewise, .45 ACP did not perform any better, at least out of a Commander length Wilson Combat. Some sort of Wilson Combat hollow point performed extremely poorly, penetrating very little and exhibiting large amount of core-jacket separation, while the soft point round merely left a dent and a blemish against the A-pillar. A .357 Mag Hydra-Shok 158 gr. faired little better. Ultimately, Will's point was that no pistol caliber was going to be able to penetrate both A pillars, especially when most were struggling to fully penetrate even one. Will commented that he found it somewhat ironic that one of the parts of tactical shooting that's supposedly to be so rigorously tested, the ballistics, is in actually just as full of myths and dogma.

Next, we moved up to rifle rounds. Using a 16" barreled AR, 55 gr. ball penetrated the first pillar fine, but did not make it to the second pillar, instead fragmenting all over the inside of the car. Hornady TAP 55 gr., XM855, and Federal Fusion MSR 62 gr. all also managed to penetrate the first pillar, but none went through the second. One of more interesting things seen was a series of striations on the windshield, near the opposite side of the car that was being shot (toward the second A beam); Will explained this was rounds skipping against the inside of the windshield. It was also noted that window tint does nothing ballistically, but that the new DoT standards that call for laminated glass on the side windows would definitely change things up quite a bit.

We then brought out an 18" 12-gauge shotgun. The 1 oz. slug failed to fully penetrate the first pillar, much to most everyone's surprise; in fact, the #00 8-pellet low-recoil buckshot that followed penetrated deeper, even though it also failed to penetrate completely. Will explained that this was because the slug was made mostly of soft lead, so it deformed rapidly and thus quickly dumped all its energy, while the pellets were usually made of hardened or coated lead, and thus punched through a bit more. Again, it would appear to be that the pillars could easily provide cover for buckshot and standard slugs. It was also noted that there was minimal spalling, which Will explained as being a by-product of the fact that the pillars were designed to crumple under impact.

We then tried the 18" .308 bolt gun using FGMM 168 gr., which was also stopped in the first pillar. Will showed us the failure point of the pillars when using 55 gr. ball: using a 16" AR and standing about 3 yards away, it took him roughly 60 rounds in order to punch through both sides of the B-pillar to get a hit on the target, even while holding a group about an inch in diameter. Will also reminded us that the pillars didn't have to worked strictly horizontal, i.e., only A-pillar to A-pillar; instead, it could be worked A-pillar to B-pillar or D-pillar to C-pillar, etc. One could basically try and use the openings between the pillars almost like competition shooting ports. He also noted that with sound dampening materials, side curtain airbags, the new honeycomb structures that better absorb impact, etc., would all increase the amount of punishment the pillars could take.

The final round tested was the Brenneke Special Forces Maximum Barrier Penetration Magnum, for the 12-gauge; this was saved, since this was a speciality round designed to penetrate intermediate barriers (42.5" of penetration when used against bare gel). However, it still failed to make it past the first B-pillar, being stopped by the seat-belt mechanism. Will then made the note that cover doesn't have to necessarily stop the round. For example, if one is in a position by the windshield and the round is consistently being deflected, does the windshield not serve as a piece of cover?

Most of the students were extremely shocked at the amount of punishment that the pillars could take. I personally was less shocked, but only because I had heard Matt talk about it many times, and had also cut up various cars during my extrication training, so I had an idea of just how much junk was in a pillar. I was honestly surprised at how poor the Brenneke SFMBPM performed, though, as I had provided the round and was expecting it penetrate at least one pillar. The fact that it took basically two whole mags in order to create a hole to hit the target just once also surprised me. Either way, even with the prior knowledge I had, it was a very eye opening demo, as it's one thing to hear about something that defies conventional wisdom, and another to see it first hand.

Next, we tested car doors. Using 9mm ball through a Glock 17, Will placed 3 evenly spaced shots near the top of the door, 4 through the middle, and 3 again through the bottom. 8 rounds made it through, which Will said was unusual, since the average is around 5 or 6, but either way.

After that, it was tested the same way except through two car doors, shooting from the outside into the car and seeing if the bullets exit the car on the outside. Using the same placement as before, there was no penetrations through the second door at all when using 9mm ball. When trying with 6 rounds of .45 ACP, only 1 round made it through. Even with .223 Rem, out of 10 rounds, only 4 made it through when evenly spaced. Thus, in order to punch through a door, one must shoot a hole into the door and then keep pumping rounds through. Obviously, in order to make a hole, one would need a certain degree of accuracy.

Next, we tested deflection while shooting out of a car. Will had us set up four targets spaced about 1 meter apart each, one behind the other. He explained to us why deflection occurs: due to the rake of the window, different parts of the bullet will exit the glass at different times. Because energy tends to take the path of least resistance, the bullet will deflect into different directions because of that. For example, when shooting through the windshield from the inside of the car toward a target outside the car, the top of the bullet will be the first part to exit the windshield, and thus the bullet will want to go up. Conversely, when shooting into the windshield from the outside, the bottom of the bullet will exit first, and so they deflect downward. This is why someone from 100 yards away from a vehicle can easily engage someone inside a vehicle through the windshield, but the opposite doesn't hold true. This also means there are widely variable amount of deflections through a windshield, such as the difference between a Chevy Corvette and a Jeep Wrangler.

Again using 9mm ball first, Will aimed at the pelvic girdle, but the round went flying up, exiting off the top of the head of the target at a mere ~4 meters from the front of the car, with significant core-jacket separation. Moving around to find an area of the windshield that was still intact, Will also tested the Winchester SXT (much less deflection, still had core-jacket separation), .40 ball (much less deflection compared to 9mm ball, core-jacket separation), Hornady Critical Duty .40 (same as ball, no core-jacket separation), .45 ball (even less deflection than the .40 ball), .45 ACP Wilson Combat hollow point (large amount of deflection, enough that it only hit one target), and .45 ACP soft point (about the same as 9mm ball in deflection). Thus, given all the deflection when shooting out, Will stated that one must burn a hole in the windshield first, then start getting the hits through the hole, similar to the door. When asked about his preferred duty rounds, he stated that for 9mm Para, he was fond of Federal HST in any weight, while Federal HST and Speer Gold Dot were fine for .40 S&W. He was not a fan of Hornady's Critical Duty line, and stated that he's told the Hornady reps that they should be ashamed for putting out a subpar product like that. He is also not fond of Winchester Ranger for .45 ACP, but likes the 147 gr. 9mm.

The idea of having to create a hole in order to engage someone through an intermediate barrier certainly makes for a good argument for having a higher capacity weapon, especially considering how many rounds a threat might take before becoming a non-threat. I honestly surprised how 9mm Para was unable to penetrate a single door consistently; I had little doubts that two doors would have resulted in zero penetration, but did not translate that through to the single door.

We then tried to shoot from the back of the car to the front of the car, through the back window through the front windshield. The first round tried was a Winchester SXT 147 gr., which penetrated both windows and impact the target. The .223 Rem ball 55 gr. penetrated both, it appeared, but deflected high and did not hit the target. The same occurred with a 1 oz. slug, #00 reduced-recoil buckshot, while the Hornady Critical Duty .40 S&W and second round of Winchester SXT both also failed to hit the target. Will then stated that the first penetration was an anomalous event, which tends to occur every 3 or 4 classes.

To recap, Will reiterated and numbered off the 16 points of cover that a 4 door sedan has: the 2 A-pillars, 2 B-pillars, 2 C-pillars, 4 wheels, the 2 sides of the engine block, the front of the car on the left (looking toward the rear), the front of the car on the right (looking toward the rear), and the analogous positions from the rear looking front. Vehicles with a D-pillar add an additional two points of cover. Will also noted that the drivers almost always sit in the same relation to the windshield in all vehicles, regardless of how high the vehicle is off the ground. Also, given the rake of the windshield, the bullets tend to deflect straight down into the high thoracic cavity of the driver. He also notes that when officers bail out of the vehicle, they invariable tend to find themselves in the rear, even if they had been trained to post up between the A-pillar and the open door. If that tends to occur, and is a decent point of cover, why not go there first? Will stated that he taught the positions and ballistics separate so that we could then know the whys and hows and then put them together.

For the next drill, three vehicle were roughly put one after the other, separated by about 10-15 meters, with cardboard targets placed high and low, along with a single steel plate. The drill is to engage each cardboard target while working up against the car, going both high and low (that is to say, utilizing urban prone and looking under the car), and after all cardboard targets at that car had been engaged with 3 to 5 rounds, ping the steel target to move on to the next car. In order to move to the next car, Will gave us the option of using Sul or else the infamous temple index. Because the cars are lined up in a linear fashion, multiple people can be running the drill, one at each car; thus if one finishes their car and has pinged the steel, but the next car is still being cleared, one should just stay in their position, at the ready, until they can ID that the car is clear. If you doesn't use a proper index position to move to the next car and muzzles another person, than you're out of the class.

Will notes that for moving quickly, the problem with Sul is that it tends to flag yourself, due to how high the legs go. Also, when working in close proximity with others, one might either be forced to flag others or else flag one's self when trying to move around, although it can be mitigated with careful positioning; however, under stress, it's unlikely one will think of such issues, or if one might even have enough room to move far back enough.

As for the temple index, the palm should be right under the earlobe. Will noted that this makes it much easier to move about when standing up without muzzling anyone. With ear pro on, one can use the thumb as an index point, by placing it in the rear of the ear pro. Will stresses that pressure must be kept inward on the head so that the gun doesn't start flopping about whenever one gets fatigued. For familiarization, we dry practiced moving from the temple index to getting a good sight picture. Will also stressed that the temple index is strictly a movement position, and should not be used as a ready position of any sort.

In the first iteration of the drill, we moved from the left most car to the right most car.

My first run went okay. I had a single double feed/failure to eject that I was able to work through much issues. I did have some issues acquiring both the dot in the RMR and the BUIS, as the front sight was rather occluded by the setting sun and the large amount of debris/lube splatter that had accumulated on the front of the lens, combined with the already reduced visibility the damaged glass provided. It was also noted that many people seemed to have some kind of aversion to shooting up the car, even if they did work the angles of the car quite well; Will stated that this was a natural thing he often sees even LEOs do, and that this was a chance to train out of it. I personally went in trying to clear the car methodically, working high at the rear of the car, then working low on both sides of the rear wheel, working high to the B-pillar, then the A-pillar, then low next to the front wheel. It was definitely quite fatiguing, but I was able to without gassing out.

The second iteration of the drill was run the other way, from the right most car to the left most car.

My second run went much more poorly. First off, both times that I moved, I applied the temple index way too early, as I was still in a squat when I applied it, while I had Matt behind me guiding/observing me, thus potentially muzzling him; the fact that I did it a second time in the same drill was extremely distressing to me. Beyond that, I also had an issue with my reload: on my first reload, when I tried to grab the magazine, the whole mag pouch came with it. I had never had this happen before, and nor do I usually carry two magazine pouches, so it was in a spot that was usually unused. I also totally failed to get good hits on the last steel target, throwing multiple rounds down range before I forced myself to slow down and get a good hit.

After the second run, we were done with drills for the day, and headed back to cover for a debrief. Will noted that some people liked to touch the car, and it was mainly an issue of comfort, that people liked to touch the car. Also, he suggested that we tried to watch others as much as possible, as humans tend to be good at pattern recognition, and by watching others, we might be able to pick up on things and incorporate them into our own knowledge base.

Class ended at this time at around 1915, instead of the planned 0000. I believe it was because Will noted that many of us were getting fatigued, and it would have been unsafe to continue into the low-light portion at that juncture. The owner of the range then provided a delicious home-cooked dinner for those of us that stayed.

I've only done a 1 day vehicle class, and need more. So this was a Costa Ludus class with no Costa? Did you think the ballistics demo was necessary vs just telling you the results? Was it a prudent use of class time? Very thorough review, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I've only done a 1 day vehicle class, and need more. So this was a Costa Ludus class with no Costa? Did you think the ballistics demo was necessary vs just telling you the results? Was it a prudent use of class time? Very thorough review, thanks.
    Yep, a Costa Ludus class without Costa. We did have a former Coastie as a student though (one of the LEOs), so it was almost the same?

Beyond that, for the ballistics demo, Will's argument was that he wanted to actually show things, rather than just tell things and have his word taken for it. After all, what he was claiming is very much against conventional wisdom, and most of the students agreed that they would have been quite doubtful if they were merely told it, rather than shown it. Will stated that people tended to revert back to the level of training that they believe in when under stress, and if one didn't really believe that the pillars offered sufficient cover, one would not use it. Will also stated that core-jacket separation occurred regularly even with bonded rounds, something that I would have been doubtful if he had simply just stated it (given how this seemed to rarely show up in DocGKR's testing, I had been of the opinion that such an event would be an aberration, rather than a semi-regular occurrence), but given the core-jacket separation seen with the bonded Hornady rounds, and how Will had demolished the old mode of thinking on vehicle usage for cover by using those demos, I am much more inclined to believe him when he says that Gold Dots and Ranger-Ts and other reputable bonded rounds still exhibit core-jacket separation at times.

TD2 is currently being reviewed by Will at the moment, so I'll release that once he okays it. Beyond that, I do believe that this was definitely a very good vehicle course. Will stated that his goal was to make sure that this class was actually truly about fighting around vehicles, rather than just a typical handgun class with the usage of barricades that just so happen to be vehicles, which he felt was often the case with other vehicle courses.

The Hornady loading isn't bonded, it's a mechanical lock between the jacket and core.

I have to wonder if by "separation" we are actually talking bullet fragmentation. I can fire Gold Dots into water, wood, etc. all day long and never have a bullet come apart, fire them into a steel target and you get nothing but splatter left over.

In my experience in shooting cars the A and B pillars are closer to shooting steel than shooting water, if that makes sense.

What gets through what kind of depends on what car and what parts of that car you hit. I have launched 9mm +P Gold Dots and NATO ball rounds clean through many cars sideways, in the driver's door and out the passenger door, or through the trunk, with enough zap left over to punch through a 1/2" plywood witness panel on the far side.

For shooting through the metal parts of a car the Barnes/DPX bullets rule in my observation.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    The Hornady loading isn't bonded, it's a mechanical lock between the jacket and core.
    Ah, I had thought Critical Duty was bonded, I was not aware that Interlock was a purely mechanical mechanism. My bad.

I have to wonder if by "separation" we are actually talking bullet fragmentation.
    Most of the separation we saw was shown to us by how the jacket had separated from the core when Will would be trying to dig it out of the pillars, so I would assume that he saw similar core-jacket separation in such a scenario. Assume.

What gets through what kind of depends on what car and what parts of that car you hit. I have launched 9mm +P Gold Dots and NATO ball rounds clean through many cars sideways, in the driver's door and out the passenger door, or through the trunk, with enough zap left over to punch through a 1/2" plywood witness panel on the far side.
    Will definitely stated that car doors are not cover, and the trunk even less so. I agree that for the door, it definitely depends on what it hits on the way through, given how much stuff is in there (locks, window mechanisms, etc.).

So this was a Costa Ludus class with no Costa?
    Also, I had forgotten to mention that Will wasn't even part of Costa Ludus when I had originally signed up for the course, as this was a fairly recent move on Will's part, so I had never intended to go to a Costa Ludus course from the start.

I asked because I wasn't aware he wasn't the sole instructor. Sounds like a Sentinel Concepts class I wanted to attend.

I asked because I wasn't aware he wasn't the sole instructor. Sounds like a Sentinel Concepts class I wanted to attend.
    It might have been the same one, since that was the training company that Will was originally attached to. The promo video for the course was still for Sentinel Concepts:

In fact, they're still doing the full-length video in the coming weeks.

Class started at 1425 on TD2. Weather was again warm and humid with intermittent cloud cover; temperatures reached ~80 °F. It had rained a fair bit earlier in the day, including almost all the way up to the start of class, which help drive temperatures down a little. Because of that, and the additional forecasted rain, I opted to not run my EDC rig, and instead wore a Velocity Systems Rugby Shirt with a pair of Otte Gear Alpine Trousers (both in Multicam, in order to follow the late Louis Awerbuck's first rule of gunfighting: always look cool), and traded in the RCS Phantom for a Safariland 6004-39512 modified to carry a P30LS with an RMR. Also, we ended up being down one student, they were unable to make it back for the second day.

We started out in the classroom again. A quick question that was asked at the very beginning was whether or not 7.62×39mm would perform well enough to punch through both the rear window and windshield; Will stated that it did not, and stated that the usage of 7.62 AK platforms as truck guns because of a belief of their superior ballistic performance against intermediate barriers was mostly incorrect conjecture.

Will then related an interesting trend he noticed while acting as a firearms instructor for a police academy. When having the students run the El Presidente drill, the cadets would often have a large amount of misses on both the first and second target, but the third target would inexplicably be much cleaner. Will eventually realized that this was because the cadets would be distracted thinking about the second target while shooting the first target, with the same relationship between the second and third target. However, since there was no fourth target, the third got the undivided attention of the cadets, and thus was usually much cleaner. This in itself was a good example of problem solving under a time constraint. Will noticed that some cadets were able to problem much better than others, so that forced two questions: How do you get the poor problem solvers to be better? And how do you make the good problem solvers even better?

A neurologist that Will talked to had some basic recommendations in how to speed up people's problem solving abilities, such as eating healthier, getting enough sleep, exercising, being lucky with genetics, etc. However, the most important component was the method in which people would try to solve the problem. The problem with poor problem solvers isn't that they're necessarily less intelligent than good problem solvers; most can solve problems without much issue if not operating under time constraints. Rather, they fall apart when forced to solve problems under pressure and time limits. The key to good problem solving is to have a linear though process, which is to say, focus on one aspect of the problem at a time, rather than trying to solve it holistically. As an analogy of sorts, if one was attempting to consume a pizza, a poor problem solver would attempt to cram the whole pizza in their mouth, and then try to eat that giant bite, while a good problem solver would go in bite by bite; while the poor problem solvers would eventually be able to finish the pizza, it would probably take much longer than going bite by bite. Thus, when Will instructed the cadets to approach each section of the El Presidente separately (focus only on turning and drawing, then focus only on the first target, then focus only transitioning to the second target, then focus only the second target, etc.), scores went up dramatically.

This idea of breaking down the problem to separate components came intuitively to me, at least on a philosophically level, as this is a basic principle in computer programming; obviously actually implementing it in real life is a totally different story. For the vehicle drills, I essentially tried to do that when I went in with a pre-planned method of clearing the vehicle, though obviously target ID and the like would add significant complexity, as I would later experience first hand.

Will then talked about how he tried to approach teaching in general. He made the analogy of how if one was trying to learn basic algebra, it would be better to learn the basic ideas behind basic algebra, rather than just simply trying to memorize various equations. Firearms training should be the same way: don't just memorize certain scenarios and the proper response to them, but understand the basic principles behind the responses and why they are employed in each scenarios. Otherwise, if confronted by a scenario that isn't the same as what one trained for, one might fail miserably.

We then moved on to various videos of OISes, in order to see . The first one was a burglary in progress in Austin, TX. The suspects engaged in a low speed head on collision against the patrol car, and so the officer put multiple rounds through the windshield of his vehicle in order to hit the suspects through the windshield of their vehicle. What was noticeable was that after the officer stopped shooting, the suspects were still able to be compliant, such as keeping their hands raised and exiting their vehicle, which in turn suggests that they were also able to pose a threat if they so choosed. This, despite the fact that the driver of the suspects' vehicle took four hits. Will used this as a teaching point, that the standard two shot response is wholly inadequate to stop a threat in most cases.

The next video involved officers responding to a domestic in Seattle, WA. Multiple officers were at the location, interviewing involved parties; it's clear that one of the officers has already checked out, expressing little interest at the current situation (who shall be called Officer A for the rest of the video). Will goes ahead and makes the point that law enforcement is just a job; he compares the bored officer like someone that might be waiting at the copier at work. The only real difference is when catastrophic failures occur, they tend to have much more immediate consequences than an issue arising in a typical job. At this point, multiple gunshots are heard. It can be seen that one officer, Officer B, does not start drawing his weapon until the third shot; at the same time, Officer A has leapt into action, shoving one of the civilians under the front of the car for their protection, while also starting his draw. However, Officer B's weapon is index low, right at the civilian. Things do not get better as a female officer, Officer C, moves up to the hood, too; she shoots several rounds SHO with a significant cant, before also indexing low, also muzzling the civilian. She then indexes forward, ending up muzzling up Officer B, who is now crouched at the front at the car. It was also noted that all the officers did not communicate with each other at all through the entire incident. All in all, it was a chaotic and poorly executed response by the officers; however, Will cautions against judging these officers too harshly, as relatively few people have ever experienced such extreme situations. He stated that we would personally see just how chaotic trying to utilize a vehicle for cover can be when there are multiple people involved, let alone with the introduction of an active threat slinging bullets your way.

In the third video, a felony stop in Wharton County, TX turns into a pursuit. Spike strips eventually force the suspect to exit his vehicle. The suspect is able to utilize his pick-up truck as cover relatively effectively after he bails out of the vehicle and fires upon the patrol car that was behind him. As he takes incoming fire from the officers shooting into the passenger side of his vehicle, he is able to retrieve a rifle, and fight back relatively effectively. Will chose this video to illustrate that criminals also problem solve, and can often do so quite well. The idea that criminals do not utilize sound tactics is a very dangerous one. It was also noted that given the suspect was driving a pick-up truck, perhaps an urban prone position to engage the suspect's legs would have proven effective, especially considering how pick-up trucks are usually much higher off the ground than a typical sedan.

In the final video watched, a disturbance in the park is called in in Kansas City, MO. It turns out to be a man with a gun. The suspect opens fire upon the first officer, who was posted up between the A-pillar and the door on the driver side, using that opening to try and hit the suspect. The suspect manages to hit the first officer three times, sending him onto the ground, where the officer then scrambles and tries to make it to the back of the vehicle. As this is happening, a second officer fires and advances toward the passenger side of the vehicle; once the first officer makes makes it to the rear, the second officer sprints toward the car, swinging wide toward the front of the car and working the angles. He places more shots in as the first officer just takes cover at the rear of the vehicle still. Will stated that while the second officer clearly violated one of the basic rules of CQB, which is to refrain from engaging until within one meter of your partner so as to minimize hitting them, his breaking of that rule is probably what saved that first officer's life, as otherwise the suspect would have more than likely have just walked up to the first officer and executed him. The aggressive push was also paramount to keeping the suspect pinned down, and Will notes that in vehicle CQB, aggressive actors tend to dominate the more passive ones (which is exactly what played out in this scenario, where the first officer was passive and as a consequence was in a losing battle, while the second officer's aggression enabled him to end the fight decisively).

We headed out to the range at this time, where the safety rules from yesterday were reiterated. We again ran the same three vehicle drill as yesterday, except this time, the vehicles were not staged in a linear fashion, but in a triangle. Again, we were instructed to clear each vehicle of cardboard targets, putting three to five rounds in each one, and after all cardboard targets were engaged, ring the steel to move on; unlike yesterday, there were now also targets inside the vehicles. Will again stressed that temple index was a strictly movement position, and that one should not overuse it, as it was an issue yesterday, where people tried to do a scan and assess in that position, or got into it while still kneeling or crouching. He also noted that if advancing upon a car with known threats and no obvious no-shoots, it's fine to advance without using Sul or temple index; one can run with the gun compressed, but with both hands on it, or perhaps running with the pistol in just one hand, indexed somewhat at the #2 position, canted inward.

I again had the first magazine pouch come out on me during a reload. I was able to adjust to it, but it was getting frustrating to have this occur, as I had not experienced this issue before. I felt uncomfortable with shooting some of the targets at full extension, especially those inside the car; while I could have backed up away from the car in order to shoot the ones that were too close, I'd then have to move back in to clear the rest of the car properly, thus wasting time and movement; my second run I would shoot from a compressed position, utilizing the laser instead of the RMR or BUIS.

The drill was then run a second time.

Once again, the first magazine pouch followed the magazine out. This time, I was attempting to do a reload with retention. I swapped mags, then attempted to put the magazine pouch back on. Will took the mostly spent magazine, with the attached mag pouch, and chunked it down range, close to the next vehicle, though not close enough for me to actually use it. After that drill, I swapped out the Kytex that kept failing me for a borrowed G-Code Scorpion; the one that did not come off I retained still.

After that, we ran one of Will's homebrewed drills called Alphabet Soup. Various targets were placed in different positions around and inside the vehicle, leaving one side free for the student to work off of. Each target was labelled with a random alphanumeric character. The instructor would call out a letter (or rather, a name that began with that letter) or else a number, and the student would have to find that target and engage it, all while working cover properly on the vehicle. If the instructor called out a new target before you could engage the last one, you were to switch to the new target, as the old target had become a no-shoot; hitting a no-shoot means being DQ'd from that iteration of the drill.

What made this a very difficult, stressful, and physically strenuous drill was that the instructors would change the target to be engaged very rapidly, enough so that probably only 10%-25% of the called targets were engaged; many times, they'd call out a new target before I could even find the previous target, thus resetting my search. I personally did end up hitting targets I wasn't suppose to, as I would be so tunnel-visioned on the current target that I'd shoot it once before processing that the instructor had already called out a new target. This drill was one of the reasons why Will had recommended we hydrate very well, given all the transitioning from squatting to kneeling to urban prone.

At this point, we broke for dinner, which was provided by Matt, so we all ate at the range.

During dinner, it was discussed as to when/why one should crowd cover. While generally frowned upon, there are several scenarios where crowding cover is necessary. The first reason is to try and push a light past the barricade; one must be up against the barricade to maximize light usage, otherwise light will be wasted as it will be illuminating the cover facing you. The second would be when the threat has high ground; thus, crowding cover would maximize its use. Lastly, sometimes cover must be crowded upon simply due to circumstances, such as when making a traffic stop or when in a parking lot. Will also noted that while one should always fight toward betters positions, CQB in a vehicular environment is often over so quickly that this doesn't occur.

We resumed class at 1900, and went into shooting from inside of the vehicle. In order to draw from appendix while seated, it's relatively natural, just go into the normal draw stroke. For those carrying at the 0300, especially on a duty belt, one will have to bridge the hips up in order to create enough room to draw properly. After the draw, simply punch out, making sure to clear the steering column, and eliminate the target. After that, keeping the gun on the target still, compress back in. However, do not leave it compressed once one starts to bail out, as one invariable muzzles one's self, usually in the arm, while trying to exit the vehicle in that position; Sul suffers from the same issue, except one muzzles one's legs instead. Instead, the temple index works well in this instance. The main thing to watch out for while using the temple index is to make sure it is kept low enough that it doesn't drag against the headliner while bailing out the vehicle, and thus possibly getting caught inside while stepping out.

Once outside of the vehicle, one has two options: drive the gun out and engage the threat while walking backwards to the rear of the vehicle, or else run directly to the back of the vehicle. The former makes more sense if the threat is visible and immediate, while the latter would be a good idea if the threat has broken off for now; both have their time and place, depending on the situation.

As for the seat belt, the first question is, does one take the seat belt off first and then engage, or engage first, then take off the seat belt before bailing out? Will prefers the engage, then take off the seat belt; his line of reasoning is that if the threat is high enough for you to need to engage through a windshield, then the threat is grave enough for you to shoot as soon as possible, rather than trying to get the seat belt off first. He made it clear that this was merely his theoretical mode of thinking, and not grounded in any experience, as he had never had to shoot through the windshield outside of training.

I personally need to practice some more to make sure I can adequately draw from appendix without fouling up the weapon in the seatbelt, if I were to draw before I take off the seatbelt, since the belt runs right over the grip of my handgun. Since I was running a dropleg that day, the opportunity to practice did not present itself.

If one is on the front passenger seat, or is left handed and in the driver seat, then one will need to account for the seat belt looping around one's strong arm if one decides to draw first, then take the seatbelt off (obviously, taking the seatbelt off first, then drawing would neatly sidestep this issue, though obviously not without the previously mentioned trade-offs). The easiest way would be to simply switch the weapon to the other hand, getting the seatbelt off, then switching back. Will switches hands by simply dropping his strong hand into a hammer grip, which creates space above the web of his strong hand, driving the web of the weak hand into that space, and then completing the switch. However, this can be tricky, and takes quite a bit of practice to do smoothly. Another option is to swim the arm out over the seatbelt, so that it runs under the armpit. While this sidesteps the issue of getting caught up in the seatbelt during the draw, it obviously offers much less collision protection. Thus, Will utilizes this technique only when going slow in a vehicle; when going fast, he naturally reverts back to the standard seatbelt position, given how unlikely one would be shooting through the windshield while driving at high speeds.

We then ran a drill to practice shooting from inside of the vehicle; most students put on long sleeves and gloves for this part, since we were going inside shot-up vehicles. Two students would start out in the vehicle, one in the driver seat, the other in the front passenger seat. Two other students would start outside, and act as "coaches"; the coaches would signal the start of the drill by banging on the roof of the vehicle; after both students in the drill make it to the rear of the vehicle, the coaches would also call out for the students to switch positions, so that the driver would move to passenger side rear, while the passenger moves to the driver side rear. The coaches would then make one last call for them to switch back, so the driver would end on the driver side, with the same for the passenger; the switches were to force us into learning how to move around other people. The person moving behind would have to go into the temple index, while the person up front should keep their muzzle directed toward the front still, to better cover the threats. This was done dry several times for each pair of students, with each pair of students taking on both the driver and passenger roles, before it was run live.

I put on a pair of Outdoor Research Firemark and a Massif Cool Knit LS t-shirt for this section, and took it right off afterwards. I had a tendency to go into temple index even when I was the person up front. I also had a tendency to go too wide behind the person up front when I was the person in the rear. Beyond that, this drill definitely highlighted how even mild stress would make us forget to communicate with our partners, let alone if we were truly under fire; as Will had noted earlier, generally when something goes wrong, one tends to hear profanities rather than any real communication, e.g., when running dry and need to reload, instead of saying "reloading" or "loading", one tends to just say "fuck" while performing the reload. During the live iterations, I also had a failure to go into battery while loading to make ready before the drill started. It turned out to be an issue with the round, as it was loaded incorrectly, with the bullet forcing part of the rim down; I lucked out that the round was the first round on top, and that it was being used to load an empty gun, rather than one that already had one in the chamber.

We then went into the low-light portion of the course. Will started out with the five uses of the light. The first was to identify the target. The second was as a means of control, e.g., shining it in the target's eyes to deny them their own ability to gather information. The third is for navigation. The fourth is as a means of signalling others, such as strobing a light as one exits a door way to signify that one is a friendly. Lastly, the light is used for searching. For most of these uses, the more powerful the light (which is generally measured in lumens), the better. After all, the more lumens one has, the more information one can usually gather, and thus the faster one can solve a problem.

Next, Will covered the three basic handheld light techniques he used. While many have argued that one should find just one handheld position and master that one and use it for everything, Will believes that this is inadequate, due to the weaknesses of each individual position that can easily occur in even fairly typical scenarios. Instead, Will prefers to use three distinct positions, and flow between the three: FBI, temple index, and Harries.

The FBI is simply using the light while the arm is outstretched. It is highly versatile, and can be used in almost any scenario, especially when working barricades; using the FBI index, one can push the light far beyond the barricade, illuminating much more, something that no other position, not even WMLs, can do. However, its drawbacks are that it's unsupported, making shooting more difficult, and one has to walk the light into the target, which wastes time. One of the most oft-cited benefits of FBI, that it keeps the light away from you, thus minimizing the chances of you being shot when someone shoots at the light, is something of a fallacy, according to Will. The first issue is that it doesn't do anything that simply gunfighting in the day doesn't do, where the threats can see you plain and clear. Beyond that, there is also the fact that most criminals do not aim precisely at the light, but merely in the general direction, so a feet or two of buffer zone is of extremely limited utility.

I was not convinced by the analogy of using what happens during the day, since you can't see the threat, and one can manipulate the light in one's favor. On the other hand, I've heard the same argument about how criminals don't aim precisely, and very much believe in that. Beyond that, I tend to used FBI as a search position only, as I always carry a WML in conjunction with my handheld (I've never even shot my handguns without a WML on it).

The temple index is a variation of the neck index. It attempts to sidestep the issue of light being wasted on one's arms and pistol when using the neck index, while still giving a good, solid indexing point that automatically points the light where ever one is looking. Obviously, it still has some splashback, but not nearly as much as a standard neck index.

I did ask Will about how he felt about the modified head index, which is placing the light directly on top of one's head, which would have even less splashback; he stated that he did not like that position because of some of the other issues it presented, but did not elaborate. Shooting some of the drills later, it would appear to be that a modified head index would be more difficult, since it leaves the arm all the way up and out, rather than temple index, where one can keep the elbow tucked in still.

Lastly, Will covered the Harries, which must be utilized with a Weaver-esque stance, with a bladed body, as trying to do it with one's body not bladed would force one to bend one's arm excessively, while still providing less stabilizing tension. When kneeling, this also applies to one's hips, so they should be bladed to maximize stability. Obviously, this is a very tiring position, due to the fact that it relies on isometric tension, with the wrists pressed against each other.

Will then made an argument for these three positions, which all utilize an ice-pick-type grip, versus the various cigar-grip-type positions. The first one is the fact that with an ice-pick grip, one can more or less easily do various pistol manipulations, depending on the size of the light and one's hands of course; with a cigar grip, this is much more difficult. Also, the cigar grip has very little use outside of shooting; it would be rather unusual to try to search in that position, nor would one's bezel strikes be very effective while utilizing that grip, which then means one would either have to stick with shooting with an ice pick grip position, or else somehow transition from an ice pick grip to a cigar grip, the latter of which doesn't seem particularly realistic in a gunfight.

If one needs to stow the light temporarily, such as to work on a double feed or whatever, one can tuck it under one's armpit, in a pocket, or utilize a ring or lanyard of sorts. Will highly advises placing it on the ground (easy to lose) or tucking it between the neck and shoulders (any stimulus might make one drop the light on accident). One can even perhaps simply do some of those manipulations one-handed, since it should be something one should be training to do, e.g., tap-rack-bangs.

Moving on to WMLs, Will advises against using the trigger finger to try to activate a light; instead, he advocates the usage of the support hand thumb. An alternate technique for when using Surefire PMLs is rolling the index finger of the support hand into the paddle, forcing it up, during the draw stroke.

Will then talked about the idea of lighting and moving, which is to say, to shine the light temporarily, and then move on to the next position in darkness, before shining the light again. The problem with this technique is that one loses information during that dark period, thus denying one the ability to solve problems as quickly. While it can be a very viable technique if one has sufficient proficiency at it, Will feels that the typical person, himself included (as he had tried for many years to try to get it to work for himself), simply would not be able to dedicate enough time and practice to make it worth the effort.

Finally, Will touched up on light discipline. Essentially, whenever there's nothing for the light to do, it should be off. For example, if conducting a reload while in cover, the light should be off, as one should be able to do that without an visual feedback, while leaving the light on would then provide no new information.

We then moved on to familiarization drills. Standing about 10 yards away from reduced size steel IPSC targets, we were to light up the target, and then engage it with two good hits, then scan and assess. Will noted that one should not be shining the light near one's feet during the scanning and assessing, but in a wide circle, keeping the light essentially parallel to the ground, in order to maximize vision. He tended to put the light under the strong arm when scanning the strong side. This was repeated about five or size times for each different position.

We then moved onto the final drill of the day, which was rerunning the Alphabet Soup drill, but in the dark, utilizing only handhelds, no WMLs allowed, though lasers were also allowed. Each person had two chemlights attached to their body, one in front and one in the back.

I found this drill rather frustrating, due to the fact that my handheld was ill-suited for this kind of work. I would click it off sometimes while moving, and it would come back on low, due to the switchology, though the 110 lumens in itself was already pretty weak. I would also often be unable to use my RMR, as the light would be shining right into it, thus preventing me from being able to see the front sight to get a good index. Instead, I wound up using the laser extensively, and it worked very well in that respect. I also seemingly ran out of ammo; I could only locate one of my reloads, and was bewildered, until I realized that the G-Code Scorpion had somehow made it's way all the way to the small of my back, hence why I couldn't find it, and thus ending my drill earlier than I had hoped. I essentially used the FBI position for the entirety of the drill, never utilizing Harries and only very occasionally utilizing a temple index

We then had a hot wash, were the students were asked to come up with both positives and negatives of the course. For the most part, everyone was hugely impressed by the ballistics testing; most students experienced a paradigm shift in how they viewed vehicles. Many also had little experience in working outside of a square range, so the dynamic drills were very unusual.

For the positives, I agreed that the ballistics portion was definitely quite enlightening, though not to the same extant as others saw. I also was able to find a powerful reason to practice various unconventional shooting positions, given how prevalent vehicles are in my life; prior to the class, I had not yet found many uses for unconventional positions beyond familiarization. As for the negatives, the two I listed weren't exactly complaints, just observations that others might find to be of particular interest. The first issues is that we regularly broke the 90°, especially during drills and demos by Will. I never felt unsafe at any point because of that, but it certainly was not something I had experienced much of in a formal class. The breaking of the 90° during drills usually occurred during the various vehicle phases, and was intrinsic to how the vehicles were set up, and also provided a good learning opportunity for the utilization of the temple index. During the demos, on the other hand, it was mostly so that the students could get a better view of what Will was trying to show, and rarely broke more than an 80°. The second was Will's extensive usage of a live weapon for dry manipulations, in demos where a Bluegun or SIRT would have worked just as well. Will argued that one should know the condition of one's weapon, and that using a live weapon makes the most sense because it is the most realistic thing, short of using a loaded live weapon. I'm not sure I agree with that line of reasoning, as I feel that the mechanics being taught did not rely on having a live weapon, but instead was more about positional issues.

Class ended at this time, at 2250. Will handed out certificates (which, amusingly enough to me, expire in May of 2017) and Costa Ludus challenge coins, and some students had pictures taken.

This class was definitely the second most physically exhausting firearms course I'd taken, behind only Shivworks ECQC. I definitely found this to be a very educational class, and also one of the most entertaining ones, as Will and many of the students all had a great sense of humor.

Still, beyond the previously mentioned issues, I had some other minor issues with the class. The first was the shortness of the low-light session. Given the name of the course, I had anticipated a bigger block of low-light instruction. However, it is my understanding that Will did not feel like we were ready (whether it be due to lack of skills, fatigue, or a combination thereof) for more advanced low-light instruction, such as using multiple vehicles in an Alphabet Soup drill during low-light, so I suppose that's understandable. Another that ties into that was that there was very little instruction on how WML usage might differ from handheld usage, though this might have tied in with the issue of running out of time on the range. Lastly, while I know it would have been totally unrealistic given the high tempo of the class (so it's more wishful thinking than criticizing), I would have liked it more if the cardboard targets were replaced for each run for each student, to allow better feedback on shot placement.

Gearwise, I had some interesting failures and learning experiences. The first gear failure I had was probably the most minor one, where my Fisher Space Pen AG7 failed me, as the push button somehow became detached from the interior of the pen. Rather unexpected, as I had never heard of such a failure on an AG7. I also had a Hellish time trying to reload, given how my Kytex magazine carrier kept getting pulled off the belt with the magazine. I could not repro this on demand while behind the line, which made it particularly infuriating. I had never experienced this previously in this configuration, but I'm not too worried about it from an EDC POV, since I usually only carry one magazine, and use a different pouch. Still, I will have to look into if it's just the position it's in on the belt and thus an inherent design issue, or if that particular pouch was a lemon. The weakness of the E1B as a tactical light was once again showcased, but since it was being used in a role I do not envision using it for, it was more of an annoyance more than anything else. Also, the issues with acquiring the RMR dot in unconventional positions was definitely highlighted. I was able to compensate for this with the laser for the most part (yet another compelling reason to have a laser on a fighting handgun), but it was still somewhat disconcerting. On a related note, I did not anticipate the issues with trying to use an RMR with debris on the lens while also trying to acquire a target through damaged glass; this certainly got me to clean the lenses after each drill, although I did not got as far as cleaning off the gun after every drill, like many of my fellow students did with the compressed air machine that the range owner had made available to us. Still, I definitely noticed a large amount of grittiness in both the SLS mechanism of my 6004 and in working the slide of my P30LS. Also, I was quite happy with the performance of the Arc’teryx Knee Caps, as they stayed in place throughout the entire class, even with all the climbing up and down that I did.

As an aside, Matthew Shockey was the man who brought the class together. He is the owner of a very new training company, Falcon Tactical (http://www.falcontactical.net/). He was gracious enough to arrange for most of our meals, and played an instrumental role in getting the range itself up and running (Red Stag Tactical, http://www.redstagtactical.com). It's definitely very nice to have a training company and accompanying range in the local area, especially when the range has easily accessible indoor plumbing and lodging available.

Overall, 551 rounds were expended, all of which were Winchester White Box 9mm 115 gr. (USA9W). One double feed and one failure to chamber occurred, the latter of which was most definitely an ammunition problem.

I assume the "Kansas City MO" shooting was this one:
    http://www.wdam.com/story/11655621/dashcam-shootout

In which case his info is slightly wrong, the officer was not shot, and it was in Kansas City Kansas.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List