Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shotgun sights -- what kind and why

I'm a fan of ghost rings. Currently I've got XS on the 870 (which came that way). The 590 has the OEM ghost ring sights... Of the two, I prefer the XS and think I'm a little faster with them, but I've got a lot more time behind them too. It didn't take much time to get as fast with the XS sights as with a bead.
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, and other fun shotgun stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think you would need to define your distance envelope, and then test it on your shotgun. I believe Ashley makes a small dot that epoxies over the existing bead. Based on the group my guy shot at 25 yesterday, my guess is you would be fine inside 50 yards with slugs, and optimized for buck at shot distances.
    My guesstimate would be no greater than 50 yards. I'd be putting the sight on an 18" 870 HD that I currently own.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Two years ago, I won a Mossy 590A1 in a drawing. I couldn't see the little bead; so, I put an XS front sight on it. It helped, but I ended up buying the ghost ring kit.
    Thanks for your insight.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    http://www.remington.com/products/fi...al-magpul.aspx

Remington does something similar. My work 870 is the model linked above. I think the aperture is a little small for the sight at least at closer distances.
    My apologies on the confusion. I am referring to the gun in the white part of the page, not the one up top.

It is open "express" sights on the muzzle end of the rail, instead of the ghost ring setup.
    Chris T Abernathy
    Business Development Manager
    XS Sight Systems, Inc. | XSSights.com
    F2SConsulting.com | FB@ Facebook.com/F2SConsultingLLC

Regarding a home defense shotgun: A well known customizer of 870s told me that putting ghost ring sights on an HD shotgun will "get you killed". His thinking is that ghost rings create a greater amount of tunnel vision compared to open sights. He recommends a bead only sight or the XS big dot...no rear. Just passing this along as food for thought.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Regarding a home defense shotgun: A well known customizer of 870s told me that putting ghost ring sights on an HD shotgun will "get you killed". His thinking is that ghost rings create a greater amount of tunnel vision compared to open sights. He recommends a bead only sight or the XS big dot...no rear. Just passing this along as food for thought.
    Good thing our guys in WWII, Korea and Vietnam didn't hear that, or with their even smaller aperture sights, they would be freaked.

Kidding aside, I think there are pros and cons to each sighting system, and reasonable people can disagree as to which is best for their use.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I'm using the Vang Comp ghost ring with a tritium front sight. Like the set up a lot.
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Smash View Post
    My apologies on the confusion. I am referring to the gun in the white part of the page, not the one up top.

It is open "express" sights on the muzzle end of the rail, instead of the ghost ring setup.
    Understood.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I have used all of them extensively. They all have plusses and minuses.

If I am using irons on a gun that is serving in the role of both shotgun and rifle-Ghost rings.....and if you are doing it right will not cause any issues killing bad guys (or animals that have decided to show you where they think you are in the food chain).

If I am using irons on a gun that is a dedicated indoor fighting tool (which is my preferred role for the gauge) I have no issues with a bead, but today would flat build the gun around the X/S set-up which I think is the best role for express sights.

I like a small red dot. I was one of the first guys using a Aimpoint on a shotgun operationally. I had the first gun Hans Vang ever did with a rail, and ran a Comp M2 until it got a Micro. The Aimpoint Micro is downright cheating with the shotgun, and it is now my go to. Dot, press, big hole..........what is not to like. Works 24/7 (unlike the bead I really needed when it was real in total darkness), works with both eyes open, works with less than optimal cheek welds and asymmetric positions, the micro handles the battering from the gauge well, it is small and can work like a ghost ring if set up right, and it can be both fast in close and precise at distance.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Fully concur w/Nyeti's comments re. RDS on shotguns above.

Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I like a small red dot. I was one of the first guys using a Aimpoint on a shotgun operationally. I had the first gun Hans Vang ever did with a rail, and ran a Comp M2 until it got a Micro. The Aimpoint Micro is downright cheating with the shotgun, and it is now my go to. Dot, press, big hole..........what is not to like. Works 24/7 (unlike the bead I really needed when it was real in total darkness), works with both eyes open, works with less than optimal cheek welds and asymmetric positions, the micro handles the battering from the gauge well, it is small and can work like a ghost ring if set up right, and it can be both fast in close and precise at distance.
    I did a week long shotgun class at Gunsite late 90's or early 2000's. Fellow classmates were Hans Vang, Irv Stone, Wayne Novak, Gary Paul Johnson, Wiley Clapp, and a bunch of other characters. Instructors were Louie A, Randy Cain and Steve Slawson. I ran two identical 11-87 shotguns, except one had a 30mm Aimpoint and the other aperture sights. Without question, the aperture sights were faster than the dot for anything involving buckshot. With slugs it depended on the distance. And, I find a bead, or open sights, faster yet than aperture sights.

Darryl, I may be misunderstanding, but are you suggesting that a RDS is faster than iron sights with shot? If so, wouldn't a bunch of bird hunters have mounted red dots?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List