Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shotgun sights -- what kind and why

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    XS front and rear or fiber optic "bead" in my experience. I prefer XS because the Flite-Control buckshot extends the range of buckshot beyond what I'm comfortable using a bead sight for.
    So, some form of open sights is fastest with buck? At what range, do you feel uncomfortable shooting the bead or open sights?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I'm good with XS out to 50Y with FC #00. With a bead I'm not confident much past 30-35Y. But I also don't shoot beads much anymore.
    My bad eyes preclude using a RDS.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I'm good with XS out to 50Y with FC #00. With a bead I'm not confident much past 30-35Y. But I also don't shoot beads much anymore.
    My bad eyes preclude using a RDS.
    Last year, we set up a M2 20 gauge with a HD pistol front sight, and a minimal rear. It shots slugs surprisingly well at the distances I have tried -- out to 50 yards.

At that time, SLG said he actually shot just a bead great, which got me thinking. I am just setting up a 12 gauge M2 with a short barrel, based on a Benelli 3 Gun (it has some neat mods like a hogged out loading area). My gunsmith shot this group with just a bead front, yesterday at 25, shooting quickly, with one shot called, that he pulled down.

My use of a shotgun is for personal defense, bears and otherwise, and I wanted to set it up for optimal use in the distance envelope I envision. I have really come to dislike ghost ring sights, as I find them slow up close, not particularly accurate out far, and they block too much of my view down range.
    Last edited by GJM; 05-20-2015 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Grammar

Would replacing the bead on an 870 with the XS front sight be sufficient by itself for an in home gun?

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    Would replacing the bead on an 870 with the XS front sight be sufficient by itself for an in home gun?
    There was an industry guy, who will go nameless, that had an idea for a take down 870. That project cratered, for reasons unrelated to sights. However, he planned just a small Ashley little dot front sight on a bead rib, and claimed he shot A zone hits to 100 between the vertical reference of the Ashley and the windage info gained by the vent rib.

I think you would need to define your distance envelope, and then test it on your shotgun. I believe Ashley makes a small dot that epoxies over the existing bead. Based on the group my guy shot at 25 yesterday, my guess is you would be fine inside 50 yards with slugs, and optimized for buck at shot distances.

Besides speed, secondary advantages are it is inexpensive, lightweight, and gives you great down range field of view. A few runs on a plate rack at 10-25 yards, with the various sighting systems, is pretty informative.

http://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8261

Plenty of options.

This is a new Mossberg model we're doing with them. It's a receiver mounted rail with express sights built in to the front of it. Option for RDS or express sights. the kit includes 3 heights of rear sights to allow for an ammo/sight height combo to your liking.
    http://www.mossberg.com/product/500-...t-50569/?le=1/

They have them for the 930/500/590, the gap between the rail and the barrel is much less than their photo-representation.
    Chris T Abernathy
    Business Development Manager
    XS Sight Systems, Inc. | XSSights.com
    F2SConsulting.com | FB@ Facebook.com/F2SConsultingLLC

Due to eyesight issues, I can no longer run just a bead. I now have to have some sort of rear sight. I prefer something open, but I have wound up with several with ghost rings.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    Two years ago, I won a Mossy 590A1 in a drawing. I couldn't see the little bead; so, I put an XS front sight on it. It helped, but I ended up buying the ghost ring kit.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Smash View Post
    http://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8261

Plenty of options.

This is a new Mossberg model we're doing with them. It's a receiver mounted rail with express sights built in to the front of it. Option for RDS or express sights. the kit includes 3 heights of rear sights to allow for an ammo/sight height combo to your liking.
    http://www.mossberg.com/product/500-...t-50569/?le=1/

They have them for the 930/500/590, the gap between the rail and the barrel is much less than their photo-representation.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...al-magpul.aspx

Remington does something similar. My work 870 is the model linked above.
    Last edited by jlw; 05-20-2015 at 08:42 AM.

I like rifle sights. But not the factory remington blade type rifle sights. Those are way too thin.

I like the ameriglo tritium ones. Front dot is surrounded by a high vis white ring. Rear dots are subdued yellow. Looks just like my pistol sights. Fast and accurate.

Aimpoint t1 is also good

User Tag List