Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Shotgun sights -- what kind and why

Quote Originally Posted by Smash View Post
    Yeah, I was just trying to figure out why they went with a rail section to finish out the mount. I guess because that's what people expect to have.

ETA: https://scalarworks.com/optic-mounts/bor-rmr/

Now I see they have a light and sling mount on the rail.
    I think the primary reason may be the OEM screws are up there, and they rely on those to attach the mount. You could probably cut the back of the rail that holds the RMR off, and still have a light, low rail.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This Benelli mount looks very interesting:

https://scalarworks.com/shop/optic-mounts/bor-rmr/

Sent from my iPad

Would that block the sights on an M2 with rifle sights on the barrel rather than ghost rings?
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Would that block the sights on an M2 with rifle sights on the barrel rather than ghost rings?
    Not sure. I have the various configurations, and need to get a mount in to do some looking. In terms of a Benelli, I think OEM rifle sights on the plain barrel are lowest, with a vent rib arrangement from Smash's firm in the middle, and a ghost ring highest.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I'm currently messing around with a new production Valtro PM5 with a totally mismatched front/rear sight set.

I'm trying to decide if it's even worth worrying about, or if it's just getting a T1 or Shield CQS on the rail, and left alone.

The valtro is obscure enough that I don't know if anyone has any thoughts on it, but if anyone does I'd be interested to hear them.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    When I got back to town, the Scalarworks mount was waiting. It is feather light and appears very well made. I tried it (not screwed, just placed it) on a M2 with ghost ring sights. It appears a RMR will cowitness with the aperture sights, but a T1 will be just a bit too high. I then placed it on the receiver of my M2 with the AO sights on the rib. Almost usable, and probably so in a pinch, but the mount is just a bit too high to fully use the AO vent rib sights. JLW, I believe the OEM rifle sights are even lower than the vent rib, so my guess is that the rifle sights will not co-witness, even with a RMR.

The mount ends up being very expensive, because I will now need to get a new RMR.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    When I got back to town, the Scalarworks mount was waiting. It is feather light and appears very well made. I tried it (not screwed, just placed it) on a M2 with ghost ring sights. It appears a RMR will cowitness with the aperture sights, but a T1 will be just a bit too high. I then placed it on the receiver of my M2 with the AO sights on the rib. Almost usable, and probably so in a pinch, but the mount is just a bit too high to fully use the AO vent rib sights. JLW, I believe the OEM rifle sights are even lower than the vent rib, so my guess is that the rifle sights will not co-witness, even with a RMR.

The mount ends up being very expensive, because I will now need to get a new RMR.

Thanks.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

M2 with Scalarworks mount and RMR:

Name:  M2 - 1.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  64.4 KB

Name:  M2 - 1 (1).jpg
Views: 533
Size:  56.3 KB

After being afforded the opportunity to shoot otherwise identical Remington 870s except for ghost ring or XS/Remington Low Profile Rifle sights I found, or rather the timer did, the XS sights faster out to 25 yards or so and both being equally fast out to 100 yards. And given that I have a lot more time using ghost ring sights I took note. Now for more factory options to feature them. I also finally was able to put more than a few rounds down range at a time using an H1 as the primary sight. I agree with what other have stated about it's speed compared to irons and at the distances discussed. I will say, though, that as with carbines it was much easier to get hits from unconventional shooting positions. Though I need a bit more practice because a 12 guage coming back in role over is a bit different than a carbine. *chuckle*

Doc, at what distance do you recommend sighting in the RDS for the shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Why?

I agree with what Nyeti wrote.

An RDS on a shotgun is the best option I've found for LE use. It is very quick, yet precise, while working well in a variety of lighting conditions--much like using an RDS on a carbine.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    M2 with Scalarworks mount and RMR:

Name:  M2 - 1.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  64.4 KB

Name:  M2 - 1 (1).jpg
Views: 533
Size:  56.3 KB
    That is nice!

User Tag List