Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Shotgun sights -- what kind and why

25 yard group, with one called flyer, shot with just a FO front sight from short M2 12 gauge:

Typical moose hunting conditions -- 100 pounds of meat, covered in blood, bit to crap by bugs, and in or around the water:

A picture another forum member sent me:

To conclude, definitely a process of figuring out what works for your own needs. This summer we have a M2 14 inch entry with ghost ring sights and a 14 M2 with only a fiber optic front sight into the mix to test.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I always laugh how close we actually are on how we do things and set stuff up and end up arguing about minutia......because it would be so out of character to just hit the like button. The guns I had built for my department to put in every car look exactly like your 14" Vang gun with the ghost ring and rail other than the finish. Of course yours has been used hard in Alaska and likely still works and runs great, and the cops at my old place essentially destroyed theirs in a few years.

The minutia is also likely just from the polar opposite worlds of concrete and urban scum vs. the wilderness and rogue bears. Otherwise the basics are essentially the same.

Your M2 with the Micro is essentially what I was trying to build at some point, but it wasn't tapped for the Mesa Rail with shell holder that I wanted to run. I'll see what happens with the M4 project. Also, the T4 was Really what was looking perfect to me.......until Beretta made it "better" and critical problems now exist which is working off the Glock model.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    XS front and rear or fiber optic "bead" in my experience. I prefer XS because the Flite-Control buckshot extends the range of buckshot beyond what I'm comfortable using a bead sight for.
    Agree with your feelings on Flight Control buckshot and a bead sight. Shooting the FC showed me that...

I am a civilian... I have an 8-shot Winchester Defender loaded with Winchester Ranger RA1200 (9 pellet 00 Buck) for HD use. It has a Hogue 12" LOP stock and a TruGlo green fiber optic front sight. I like this set-up for what I use it for, and for the distances I will likely encounter. I don't expect to have to make a HD shot past 30 feet, and get a 5 inch pattern at that distance.

Would post pictures of my shotgun, but it looks like I need to use a URL to do it rather than simply upload them...
    Last edited by Glock17JHP; 05-21-2015 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Probably work fine for HD distances, but a front sight really needs a rear sight. The elevation is too hard to gauge otherwise. A bead allows for pretty precise elevation and windage when done properly. It doesn't allow for all sorts of other things, as Nyeti went into some detail about. No question, if your eyes will allow it, an RDS is the way to go.
    I just happen to have a spare Aimpoint... Any recommendations for mounting on an 870? I have the 18" version.

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    I just happen to have a spare Aimpoint... Any recommendations for mounting on an 870? I have the 18" version.
    You'll have to drill and tap the receiver if it isn't already.

Choose your pic rail carefully. Some have a channel cut down the middle of it. Others don't. Depending on your aimpoint mount, that may or may not work for you. For example, a Larue QD low mount for the T1 will not work well with rails that have a full depth channel cut. The Larue has a small nub that fits into the rail slot, and a channel cut means the rail will not provide enough engagement surface area.

Well, this thread has sealed the deal for me. I'm putting a spare red dot on my shotgun ASAP.
    My only concerned is to make sure it doesn't interfere with over the top reloads from a side saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    You'll have to drill and tap the receiver if it isn't already.

Choose your pic rail carefully. Some have a channel cut down the middle of it. Others don't. Depending on your aimpoint mount, that may or may not work for you. For example, a Larue QD low mount for the T1 will not work well with rails that have a full depth channel cut. The Larue has a small nub that fits into the rail slot, and a channel cut means the rail will not provide enough engagement surface area.
    Thanks! I've got the Larue and that gives me something to think about.

I pulled out my work 870 yesterday. It has the CS ghost rings. One of the screws had backed out, and the aperture was spinning freely. Now time to sight in again and Locktite.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    Well, this thread has sealed the deal for me. I'm putting a spare red dot on my shotgun ASAP.
    My only concerned is to make sure it doesn't interfere with over the top reloads from a side saddle.
    I like reloading over the top, so I mounted my T1 as far to the rear as possible. Only way to know if it works for your head position is to try it out. An adjustable stock like the Magpul might help. In my case, the standard stock worked well for me and I was still able to get a good cheekweld.

I was using a T1 with a Larue QD ultra low mount

User Tag List