Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun sights -- what kind and why

Jim Brockman shot the barrel before sending to me, getting the right height rear sight (the middle one, I believe), and made a slight rear deflection as I need for my eyes with open sights.

I had one extra box of five Brenneke Classic Magnum slugs to test with. Fired two at 15, hitting a two inch dot, and went to 25 and shot my remaining three slugs offhand. This is my three shot group.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Looks good. I've been playing with my shotguns as well lately and have to ask: is there a finer shotgun stock than the Magpul SGA? Obviously that only applies if you have a gun they make it for (870 and 590 afaik), but if they do, I highly recommend picking a set up. They seem to mitigate recoil better than anything else Ive used, they're totally adjustable, easy to mount a light to the forearm, easier to manipulate with the slightly longer forend (I'm short), and they come with all the tools needed to install everything. Even the castle nut wrench.

Is there a finer scattergun stock out there?

I have a number of them, and really like the Magpul butt stock for a number of reasons you describe. I also like that the grip is deep enough that it gives many of the advantages of a pistol grip stock without the pistol grip protruding down as in a conventional pistol grip stock. That said, I am very fond of the Benelli Comfortech stock, and think the M2 shoots slugs softer than the 870, despite weighing a pound less. I wish Benelli offered a Comfortech for the M4 Benelli, and that Magpul offered a stock for the M2, especially since the Magpul costs just a third of the cost of the Comfortech.

Site Supporter
    When the MagPul stock first came out, I thought it looked funny. Then I tried one. Both of my serious social shotguns now sport one. I agree with GJM's comments on the pistol grip shape, and I really like the spacers that allow a good bit of LOP adjustment.

This is my 870. It was worked over by Jim Brockman -- action slicked, trigger job, his sights and rail, H1 in a low OEM mount, Magpul stock, short LOP, intermediate cheek riser for the Aimpoint height, simple carry sling, Vang side mount that detaches by velcro, Vang +1 extension, G, G and G fore end (the Magpul lip hurts my support hand with slugs) and NP3. Started with a ported Vang barrel, but I replaced it with a non ported barrel as the porting hurt when shooting without ear pro. With the NP3, I can leave it in the bottom of the boat in the rain, and it requires no maintenance except wiping down the front sight and rail. The action is so slick, it practically runs by gravity alone.

Site Supporter
    What's the consensus on porting on a defensive shotgun?

Louis Awerbuck said he liked the Vang (backbore) but not the Comp (ports).

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    When the MagPul stock first came out, I thought it looked funny. Then I tried one. Both of my serious social shotguns now sport one. I agree with GJM's comments on the pistol grip shape, and I really like the spacers that allow a good bit of LOP adjustment.
    Agreed. I actually wrote it off for a while because I thought it was ugly. After actually handling and trying one I bought one immediately.
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, and other fun shotgun stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderMan2k4 View Post
    Agreed. I actually wrote it off for a while because I thought it was ugly. After actually handling and trying one I bought one immediately.
    Same here. I thought it was ugly as sin, and wrote it off. After trying one, I am convinced they're the Answer for 870/500 stocks. I still don't have any, as my conventional youth stocks work just fine for me, but the next shotgun I buy will get one.
    Last edited by Tom_Jones; 06-19-2015 at 05:33 PM. Reason: fixed typo...

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Same here. I thought it was ugly as sin, and wrote it off. After trying one, I am not convinced they're the Answer for 870/500 stocks. I still don't have any, as my conventional youth stocks work just fine for me, but the next shotgun I buy will get one.
    I'm a big fan of pistol grip ergonomics, so that alone is huge for me especially with Mossbergs. Combine that with adjustable LOP and built in sling attachment, it's definitely well thought out.
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, and other fun shotgun stuff.

User Tag List