Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Shotgun sights -- what kind and why

Shotgun sights -- what kind and why

I have some preferences, based on experience with red dot, aperture, open and bead. Interested in what others prefer and why.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have some preferences, based on experience with red dot, aperture, open and bead. Interested in what others prefer and why.
    It is a shotgun, what do you need sights for? Actually I don't have a need for a shotgun, but if I was to get into them I would imagine I would look into a RDS for the same reason I use them on rifles and handguns. Willing to learn.

I often make my shorter barreled SG's do double-duty in the game field and I've grown pretty fond of these XS Big Dot Express (tritium front & rear) sights. I can hold slugs into @ 3" off-hand at 40 yards and still make a wing shot with them if necessary.

They're as fast as a bead, almost as accurate as an aperture sight out to 50 yards and they're adjustable for perfect POI. At $120 for the set, the price ain't bad either.

Last edited by 41magfan; 05-19-2015 at 09:17 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    I often make my shorter barreled SG's do double-duty in the game field and I've grown pretty fond of these XS Big Dot Express (tritium front & rear) sights. I can hold slugs into @ 3" off-hand at 40 yards and still make a wing shot with them if necessary.

They're as fast as a bead, almost as accurate as an aperture sight out to 50 yards and they're adjustable for perfect POI. At $120 for the set, the price ain't bad either.

Same set up on my social shotguns. The only difference is I paint my front big dot bright red.

I find these sights very fast yet adequately precise.
    Last edited by Tom_Jones; 05-19-2015 at 10:08 PM. Reason: fixed quote

I use an RDS, just like on my pistol and carbine.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

RDS, then Ghost ring, then bead, then rifle sights. Never tried the XS on a SG.

XS big dot front, standard ghost ring rear on my Benelli M4.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

If you are primarily shooting buckshot, what is the fastest sighting system?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

XS front and rear or fiber optic "bead" in my experience. I prefer XS because the Flite-Control buckshot extends the range of buckshot beyond what I'm comfortable using a bead sight for.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

African dangerous game rifles have used "express" sights for 100 years because they work.

User Tag List