Page 69 of 129 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock Picture Thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Starting to get a few miles on it, and have that "old friend" feeling when I strap it on.

LR, good looking gun! But speaking of old friends, last week I took a trip back in time - bought my second G30S. I had sold the first one several years ago and almost instantly regretted it. I had changed a couple things: the usual inside polishing, put Talon grips on it, Ameriglo sights - and, I did some "plastic surgery" to a few areas. I've already done some work on this one. I don't know why I shoot this model and especially, this caliber better than others, but I do. Now, if memory serves, you have, or used to have one. I cannot believe how much I missed this firearm. I've been out of the "Glock loop" for awhile, but it seems to me that Glock made changes, did they? As good as the first one was, this gun just seems to work better. What can you tell me about this?

11B,

I do in fact have a G30S and am carrying it today. In fact it gets carried quite a bit in the fall and winter/cold weather. I have a strong affinity for this model and believe if this G19 sized model had been out in the era of LE prior to 40s being the rage, then getting dumped like they were more socially unacceptable than Hillary at a Benghazi Survivors Convention, they would have been a huge hit.

But the fact is that 9mms are the "in" cartridge for anti personnel/defense purposes, and .45 is for "old guys", even though the same technology that made the 9mm now so deadly, has been applied to .45 projectiles too. I really think this model shines in a role for people who want a gun to serve dual roles as an outdoors gun, for a lightweight hiking/hunting sidearm where they may encounter large aggressive animals, or may work around large livestock.

People always talk about not needing large cartridges because there are no large animals in their AO, but completely fail to recognize the fact that large livestock can be and IS deadly and will injure/maim/kill you just as quick as your typical black bear/mountain lion/grizzly. A BUNCH of guys get injured by vehicle struck cattle/horses etc every year, and a mad, injured cow is no joke. I have put more than a couple down and they can be a bit sporty.

Anyways, the G30S is a sleeper in my view. It is a G19 sized, easy shooting, easy packing platform. I do not know about any upgrades from the first G30S' that you make mention of, but others may chime in that are more "in the know" about such things. I know I really like mine for wolf country where there are lots of fast moving targets and I may have a pack frame full of elk meat and 6 rounds of .44 magnum may be gone in a couple of seconds, then things could get ugly. They make a lot of sense.

For a guy who only wants one sidearm to serve as a CCW, and hiking handgun, they could do far worse.

Oh, I also did some "plastic surgery" on mine to get a higher grip. Then scuffed up the front strap, removed the finger groove. It really made a difference.

Cheers!

Still need to do some function and reliability testing before this thing takes over as my HD pistol. Who do we like for suppressor height sights with an orange front? Ameriglo is how I’m leaning but I really wish the HD’s came in a suppressor configuration.

Last edited by El Cid; 09-18-2018 at 09:07 PM.

Hemmed and hawed for weeks whether to send my ol' 17.3 off to a pro stippler, do it myself or leave her alone. Finally took the plunge myself.

After a good couple hours of Dremeling and sanding, I took the soldering iron to it. Also contoured & polished the triggerguard. Looks decent. Feels great in hand while manipulating and firing.

Doubt I'll have anyone knocking on my door to stipple their frames, but I'm very glad I didn't throw $300 at a pro for this. Yeah, they'd make it look much better, but not $300 better. I'm quite content.

Photo sucks.

Name:  IMG_20180919_172345.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  76.4 KB
    Last edited by ubervic; 09-19-2018 at 05:08 PM.

@Lost River That's a good looking, and obviously well loved Raven. *thumbsup

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    Hemmed and hawed for weeks whether to send my ol' 17.3 off to a pro stippler, do it myself or leave her alone. Finally took the plunge myself.

After a good couple hours of Dremeling and sanding, I took the soldering iron to it. Also contoured & polished the triggerguard. Looks decent. Feels great in hand while manipulating and firing.

Doubt I'll have anyone knocking on my door to stipple their frames, but I'm very glad I didn't throw $300 at a pro for this. Yeah, they'd make it look much better, but not $300 better. I'm quite content.

Photo sucks.

Name:  IMG_20180919_172345.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  76.4 KB

uber, your photo may not be a professional effort, but the work you did could be. Nice work!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    11B,

I do in fact have a G30S and am carrying it today. In fact it gets carried quite a bit in the fall and winter/cold weather. I have a strong affinity for this model and believe if this G19 sized model had been out in the era of LE prior to 40s being the rage, then getting dumped like they were more socially unacceptable than Hillary at a Benghazi Survivors Convention, they would have been a huge hit.

But the fact is that 9mms are the "in" cartridge for anti personnel/defense purposes, and .45 is for "old guys", even though the same technology that made the 9mm now so deadly, has been applied to .45 projectiles too. I really think this model shines in a role for people who want a gun to serve dual roles as an outdoors gun, for a lightweight hiking/hunting sidearm where they may encounter large aggressive animals, or may work around large livestock.

People always talk about not needing large cartridges because there are no large animals in their AO, but completely fail to recognize the fact that large livestock can be and IS deadly and will injure/maim/kill you just as quick as your typical black bear/mountain lion/grizzly. A BUNCH of guys get injured by vehicle struck cattle/horses etc every year, and a mad, injured cow is no joke. I have put more than a couple down and they can be a bit sporty.

Anyways, the G30S is a sleeper in my view. It is a G19 sized, easy shooting, easy packing platform. I do not know about any upgrades from the first G30S' that you make mention of, but others may chime in that are more "in the know" about such things. I know I really like mine for wolf country where there are lots of fast moving targets and I may have a pack frame full of elk meat and 6 rounds of .44 magnum may be gone in a couple of seconds, then things could get ugly. They make a lot of sense.

For a guy who only wants one sidearm to serve as a CCW, and hiking handgun, they could do far worse.

Oh, I also did some "plastic surgery" on mine to get a higher grip. Then scuffed up the front strap, removed the finger groove. It really made a difference.

Cheers!

Sorry I missed your post, thanks for the info on yours. If I ever take the time to figure out how to post pictures here (pathetic, isn't it?), I want to post a picture of the job done by a guy in Virginia named D.R. Middlebrooks, who does custom work on Glocks. Or, better yet, you can check his site: tacticalshooting.com. The one thing he does that I need to have done - is the "scalloping" procedure to get better access to the mag catch release. It's certainly within the abilities of anyone who has used a Dremel. It's still hard for me to believe that I sold my first G30S.

If you do any more updates, please let me know.

Site Supporter
    Post deleted.

Name:  D3B272C7-4ADC-4418-8E64-AA7DFC3CA5C7.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  83.8 KB
    A little Black and Tan.

Old Glocks

Name:  IMG_20180928_081406_495 (1).jpg
Views: 938
Size:  53.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_20180928_082901_710.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  52.8 KB

Here are my 2 glocks. The gen 2 gets carried a good bit and shot a little. The gen 3 gets shot more and is more for home defense and backup concealed carry if the gen 2 breaks.

Also, this is my first post here or on any forum ever. So, hello I guess and sorry for my mediocre photography skills.

User Tag List