Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Good shotgun training?

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    My earlier post didn't work so I will try again. Shotguns are really my "thing" operationally and the long gun I have done the most real world work with. I have been to a lot of schools and training trying to perfect the Art of the Master blaster. About half were good. Here is who I recommend.

Scott Reitz at ITTS. Scotty likely has more actual real world time on the gauge and been in shootings with them. I prefer his handling SOP's over everything else out there.

Rob Haught, just to learn Robs methodology on short sticking the gauge is great. Rob was actually very impressed with me and my guys gun handling skills on the gun itself that came from ITTS/LAPD metro. Using the handling skills from ITTS combined with Rob's stuff is great, and worked well for me operationally and was very well tested in the field.

Tom Givens......its Tom Givens, nuff said.

If you can ever get Bill Jeans as he has sort of retired, it is worth any time you can invest.

Most of the other classes I have been to I was more capable and better versed on the subject (sometimes a WHOLE lot better) than the instructors and they simply became time to shoot someone else's program with no real benefit other than trigger time.

For LE trainers looking to get an instructor ticket punched, the NRA LEAD program as long as Mark Fricke is the instructor is what I would recommend over most of the government agency schools.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I second Mark Fricke ref the NRA police instructor training program
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I would train with Mark again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    What's the date? I can call Mark and ask.

I've already confirmed that he is not teaching this particular class. That's not the point though. The point is that they wouldn't tell a prospective student who was instructing the class, and they acted shocked that anyone would even want to know.

I wouldn't go onto a car lot, hand them my money, and then tell them just bring around whichever model they wanted me to have.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    There generally hasn't been enough interest to have a list of scheduled classes lately. That said, I am looking into bringing him back to Arizona (either Casa Grande or Prescott) in the next year, if I can get enough interest to make it financially feasible.
    I would try really hard to make that class if you do it.

I attended Tom Givens' Defensive Shotgun class in Culpeper this past Sunday. Like his other offerings, this was a superb class, and I took a lot away from it. Definitely worth considering if he's in your AO.

I'm in land area while I can't personally recommend this place because I've never been but I do plan on trying them out within the next year. It is called The Site in Mt Carroll IL looks like a nice facility and I know Alias training uses if for some of their instructors that come through the area.

User Tag List