Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Good shotgun training?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think a 1 or 2 day shotgun class is just the right length. The joke was, with a 5 day class, that they managed to cram 2 days of material into 5 days of class. When you spend 1-2 days checking your patterns, you get the gist ....

I did a 40 hour shotgun instructor course at GPSTC years ago. We quickly did patterning. I will admit to one afternoon being spent shooting trap.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Creek View Post
    Tom,

I have an M2 with a short tube and a long bbl. How long a tube do I need to take one of your classes? I also have a Mossberg 930 JM with 24" bbl. I am thinking of taking a two day class pistol/shotgun in the fall.

Thanks.
    As long as your magazine holds at least 4 rounds your gun is good to go in our drills.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    For LE trainers looking to get an instructor ticket punched, the NRA LEAD program as long as Mark Fricke is the instructor is what I would recommend over most of the government agency schools.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I second Mark Fricke ref the NRA police instructor training program
    I would train with Mark again.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Tom also has a really good DVD on the shotgun:

http://www.rangemaster.com/publications/training-dvds/

Bill Jeans, Rob Haught, Scott Reitz, Darryl Bolke (HiTS), Steve Fischer, Tom Givens are all good choices. Chris Costa gave an LE class here a couple of years ago that was actually quite good.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Steve Fisher was listed in my original draft that got lost. I have not had an actual shotgun class with Steve, but I know he does a good job of teaching the gauge. This would also be true of Mike Lamb as well.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Wow, thanks for all the references guys. So now I have a gear question...my shotgun is a 20 gauge Mossberg 500...seeing as I'm a huge newbie to shotgun training, would that be an inappropriate choice?

It's sorta my "do it all" scattergun, wearing a rifled barrel for hunting season, and a shorter barrel for skeet, as well as a longer tube for trap/hunting.

If you have a <20" barrel it's fine.

The 20 gauge Mossbergs are pretty decent guns, and if you end up with a 12 that's a Mossberg they work exactly the same.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Looking back over this thread and at the schedules of the names mentioned, there don't appear to be many offerings above some very good fundamentals classes.

I reckon its hard to sell shotgun classes with so much of the market being carbine crazy.

Wasn't there talk on this forum some time back of trying to put together a Shotgun Summit?

* Scotty Reitz does have some top level shotgun classes on his schedule, but once travel costs and time are factored in to get from GA to CA and back for a two day class, they are pretty much out of range.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List