Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Good shotgun training?

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    This is important because the overwhelming majority of shotgun malfunctions are user error rather than mechanical failures.
    Teaching numerous rookie classes over the years emphasized this to me, big time. Getting people to run a pump gun in a robust manner is key.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Where can I find a list of upcoming Rob Haught classes? Last time I looked I did not find anything recent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    Chuck- Thanks for the plug. I just finished a shotgun class yesterday. Lee Weems was in it. Perhaps he will chime in.

I have one day defensive shotgun courses coming up on

June 14, Sunday, Culpeper, VA

June 29, Monday, West Elkton, Ohio

If anyone is interested, e-mail me for details. rangemaster.tom@gmail.com
    Tom,

I have an M2 with a short tube and a long bbl. How long a tube do I need to take one of your classes? I also have a Mossberg 930 JM with 24" bbl. I am thinking of taking a two day class pistol/shotgun in the fall.

Thanks.

Site Supporter
    Another plus for Tom Givens' class. Here's an AAR report by moi - http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...shotgun+givens

Site Supporter
    In addition to the names already posted, I recall a couple of our SME's occasionally mentioning Scotty Reitz as being among the best shotgun trainers.
    http://www.internationaltactical.com/scott.html
    No personal experience with ITTS, but I hope to change that at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    In addition to the names already posted, I recall a couple of our SME's occasionally mentioning Scotty Reitz as being among the best shotgun trainers.
    http://www.internationaltactical.com/scott.html
    No personal experience with ITTS, but I hope to change that at some point.
    ^That^ guy too, he is on my "to train with" list.
    www.agiletactical.com

I think a 1 or 2 day shotgun class is just the right length. The joke was, with a 5 day class, that they managed to cram 2 days of material into 5 days of class. When you spend 1-2 days checking your patterns, you get the gist ....
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

My earlier post didn't work so I will try again. Shotguns are really my "thing" operationally and the long gun I have done the most real world work with. I have been to a lot of schools and training trying to perfect the Art of the Master blaster. About half were good. Here is who I recommend.

Scott Reitz at ITTS. Scotty likely has more actual real world time on the gauge and been in shootings with them. I prefer his handling SOP's over everything else out there.

Rob Haught, just to learn Robs methodology on short sticking the gauge is great. Rob was actually very impressed with me and my guys gun handling skills on the gun itself that came from ITTS/LAPD metro. Using the handling skills from ITTS combined with Rob's stuff is great, and worked well for me operationally and was very well tested in the field.

Tom Givens......its Tom Givens, nuff said.

If you can ever get Bill Jeans as he has sort of retired, it is worth any time you can invest.

Most of the other classes I have been to I was more capable and better versed on the subject (sometimes a WHOLE lot better) than the instructors and they simply became time to shoot someone else's program with no real benefit other than trigger time.

For LE trainers looking to get an instructor ticket punched, the NRA LEAD program as long as Mark Fricke is the instructor is what I would recommend over most of the government agency schools.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I second Mark Fricke ref the NRA police instructor training program
    www.agiletactical.com

Erik Lund should be mentioned here as well.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List