Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Biker Shooting in Waco

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    On the officers part, sure. But what about the groups of bikers out to kill each other?
    I'll have to check Texas statutes but some states laws preclude self defense claims during " mutual combat" where both parties are willing participants.

Biker Shooting in Waco

In Texas parties can consent to some types of assaultive conduct but if it "threaten[s] or inflict[s]" serious bodily injury the assaulter can still be prosecuted unless getting assaulted is part of the mutual combatants' job - like boxing, etc.

Lethal dueling is outlawed everywhere. A shootee's consent is not a defense to or justification for shooting someone.
    Last edited by TR675; 05-18-2015 at 06:16 PM.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    CNN is now reporting that four of the deceased were shot by law enforcement, although that is, of course, preliminary. Autopsies haven't been conducted, so I have no idea where they're getting that number. The inevitable "biker truthers" are now vocally insisting the whole thing was an ambush by cops.

Waco police are also facing a logistics nightmare of trying to prosecute 170 people, in addition to their usual load of prosecutions. Most are charged with "participating in organized crime", or something to that effect, so I'd wager a lot of those charges will eventually be dropped.

Dallas Morning News is reporting that 135 bikes, and 80 vehicles have been towed. Eleven of the eighteen injured have been released from the hospital.
    Last edited by Chance; 05-20-2015 at 10:56 AM.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    In Texas parties can consent to some types of assaultive conduct but if it "threaten[s] or inflict[s]" serious bodily injury the assaulter can still be prosecuted unless getting assaulted is part of the mutual combatants' job - like boxing, etc.

Lethal dueling is outlawed everywhere. A shootee's consent is not a defense to or justification for shooting someone.
    http://movie-sounds.org/quotes/searc...-firewood.mp3?

Whatever else happens, I bet they don't go back to Waco next year.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Local news is reporting one of those killed was a retired SAPD detective.

Site Supporter
    http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...co-6274647.php

That's happened before in this area. A small dept. had quite a scandal over such gang related problems - http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...of-5550599.php

Site Supporter
    http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/hou...co-6276079.php

We found weapons hidden under bags of flour, in bags of chips, we found a handgun stuffed inside the toilet, we found and AK-47 in a vehicle in the parking lot and even so much as found body armor," said Waco Police Sgt Patrick Swanton, as he stood outside the restaurant Wednesday.

"This isn't your church-going crowd that came out to have dinner with the family," he said. "This is gang oriented criminal element that was in our city to conduct criminal activity.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-20-2015 at 01:49 PM.

A thousand weapons seems a little ridiculous, and I'm skeptical. It sounds like they counted every steak knife in the place.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

According to ABC News, the estimate of weapons recovered now stands around 500, which I'm more inclined to believe.

I'm a little lost on something, which I hope the LEOs wandering abouts can clarify for me. Police keep saying that those involved were a "criminal element", and given the outcome, it's difficult to argue. However, what would professional criminals have to gain from making headline national news, and giving every cop in the country an excuse to screw with them? Notoriety? Wouldn't gaining notoriety be more convenient in a place where 18 uniformed SWAT officers weren't pre-stationed to observe?

User Tag List