Thread: Bobtailing a pistol grip

Bobtailing a pistol grip

Thinking about having my G19 bobtailed and magwelled by a polymer-smith. Mostly bc I need someone to repair my melty back strap... but

Have any of you guys done that? How did it affect your grip and shooting? Concealment? Pics?

1911 owners chime in, too!

Thanks in advance

No significant impact on concealment, mild to moderate impact on how it points (less propensity to heeling), still doesn't point like 1911. Some of them do reach reduction up on top, that may increase a chance of interfering with a slide stop. If I did it again, I would ask to remove the finger groves and only mildly re-profile the hump.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    No significant impact on concealment, mild to moderate impact on how it points (less propensity to heeling), still doesn't point like 1911. Some of them do reach reduction up on top, that may increase a chance of interfering with a slide stop. If I did it again, I would ask to remove the finger groves and only mildly re-profile the hump.
    Your inbox is full

Here is a picture from Cold Bore Customs' website of a bob'd G23. I'm interested in this mod too.

Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

I'm not sure this meets the definition of Bobtailing but I did something similar to my VP9. The purpose was to remove the sharp edge on the bottom of the backstrap to aid in concealment. This rounding appears to have reduced potential printing. Replacement backstraps are only $10 so I wasn't risking the entire pistol if I screwed up. I did this when doing additional plastic surgery. Before and after pics...

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Here is a picture from Cold Bore Customs' website of a bob'd G23. I'm interested in this mod too.

I wanted Lane to bobtail my G19 too. For some reason he won't do that to glocks that are not black. I'm pretty sure you can find the filler needed to do that bobtail in FDE so I don't know why he doesn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    I wanted Lane to bobtail my G19 too. For some reason he won't do that to glocks that are not black. I'm pretty sure you can find the filler needed to do that bobtail in FDE so I don't know why he doesn't do it.
    I'm sure it is difficult to color match perfectly and Lane is very particular about his workmanship as is evident by his many satisfied customers and excellent work.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    I'm sure it is difficult to color match perfectly and Lane is very particular about his workmanship as is evident by his many satisfied customers and excellent work.
    Lane's work is second to none. I'll have to give him a call because honestly I don't care if he fills it will black. The only area I get printing is that one spot he would chop off on the grip if he bobtailed it.
    Last edited by 23JAZ; 12-12-2015 at 10:12 AM.

User Tag List