Thread: New to me rifle, buffer question.

New to me rifle, buffer question.

Picked up a used DD M4A1 14.5. At the time I was in a bit of a hurry, everything on the outside was 100% DD so i didnt bother opening it up. Just got it home and inside is a gapper and a Spikes T2 buffer. Is there a reason someone would go from the factory H buffer to the T2? Should I just swap in the original? At this point in time im not planning om using a can.

And while Im at it, anyone know anything about Leupold VX3 1.5-5 LPVO? Solid? Crap?

Site Supporter
    I had an illuminated circle dot reticle version of the scope your are asking about on a long since sold DSA-58 (FAL).

Pros-
    Held Up
    Held zero
    Easy to see
    Then-Circle dot was similar to my EO-Tech
    Quality glass
    Easy to adjust on the fly

Cons-
    Heavy
    Ate batteries
    1.5 is not 1 or 1.1 so It took a bit to get used to.

FWIW
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Circle dot, thats the one. Thanks! It came with the DD. I may keep it on there temporarily but ultimately was thinking of putting it on my 45-70

I'd probably go H2. I'm not a fan of anything Spikes and have seen complaints about gun function with people using that buffer. I have no basis to say that it was a contributing factor in anything, but I have seen reports of issues with other Spikes products from years ago. Bottom line, buffers are cheap insurance, I'd go with a Colt, BCM, or DD H2 probably. I assume the gun will run it.

I'd probably go with an H2, but I did get a DD M4A1 Riii upper from brownells, and it's a 14.5 Mid-Length. On middy's, I do feel comfortable with H buffers, too

DD shows H buffer on their M4A1 page. I'm just going to replace the buffer and spring. Just in case.

Site Supporter
    I run H2s in all of mine. I switched to the A5 system on all my ARs a few years ago and am running the A5H2 now.

Those powdered tungsten buffers suck.

The most reliable setup [with good ammo] bar none in that gun a stock spring and an H2 buffer.

I prefer a dead blow buffer. IE USGI type with weights. Minimize bolt bounce and all that.

No powdered weight.

FWIW...I just ordered some of the KAK K-Spec buffers to try... https://kakindustry.com/search.php?s...4121_a34692609

User Tag List