Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ACOG

ACOG

Anyone using one on their personal carbine? I had/used one on both of my trips over seas and have been looking for an excuse to pick one up... because. Also I thought this could be a fun thread discussing the various models merits and draw backs.

TA33 (3x30) with green chevron 5.56 reticle on my 16" general purpose AR, fairly quick up close and good for "minute of coyote" out to 300 yards.
    TA44 (1.5x16) with a green MOA circle dot reticle on my suppressed 12" house AR, really quick and never needs to be turned on or batteries replaced.
    I like the ACOG's because they're tough and require zero maintenance other than the occasional lens cleaning.
    I use a BOBRO mount for my TA33 and a LaRue for my TA44.

Only real drawback is eye relief and the fiber optic can get a little bright in the sun unless you cover part of it.
    Last edited by JodyH; 05-16-2015 at 08:31 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Pretty much the same here. My wife loves the TA44, 1.5, because it is ready to go on her HD AR.

I have a T1 as primary, but a pre zeroed 4x32 for coyote or wolf as the location may be. Tape on the optic, so I can tune down the light on a bright day. Just last weekend, had a coyote nearby in MT, and ditched the T1 for the ACOG. Of course, the battery was dead when I went to range find the 'ote with my Leica, which was a problem because he was over 500 yards away.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I had an acog on my first overseas gun as well. Ditched it for my aimpoint as soon as possible. Was forced to use an acog for about 6 months of training at one point. Didn't like it then either. They can be better than nothing, but I consider them to be outdated and inferior in all respects to other options. Of course, that doesn't mean they don't work.

They were PFM back in about 1995, when I saw Mike Voight use one to win the 3 Gun Nationals. I bought mine almost that long ago, but agree, they don't pencil today, given all the alternatives.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I think the only ones worth considering are the compact & micro versions like JodyH mentioned. Although I used one down range quite a bit, I don't care for the short eye relief on the 4X models. I found longer eye relief of the 3X TA-11 much easier to work with, but if you're going to carry that much weight and bulk, you might as well have a 1-4X or 1-6X instead, IMHO.

I'm not a fan of the ACOG at all for the type of shooting I do with a 5.56mm carbine. I run Aimpoints on my social guns w/ 100 yard BZO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Astigmatism makes Aimpoints et al a no go for me. The ACOG reticle isn't nearly as fuzzy. I like my 1-4x but find that I'm usually leaving it on 3x anyway so I might as well have the sturdier ACOG.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

I have an astigmatism as well, but find the aimpoint to be fine for most things. When it isn't, the adjustable ocular of a NF scope does a much better job for me.

Even a 2moa dot turned down low looks like a 8moa cluster of grapes for me unless I flip up and use the iron sights with the dot, which negates the dot's advantages.
    I'm pretty much limited to Leupold Prismatics, ACOG's and scopes.
    Prismatic is nice but the illumination system sucks, it's currently living on my boy's (who also has astigmatism) AR.
    I've been using a Meopta K-Dot 1-4x for a few years and it's been great, super sharp and clear, good illumination and durable. But damn that thing's heavy and 90% of the time I just stick it on 3x and leave it unless I'm shooting an all close or all long range 3gun stage then it's 1x or 4x. I very rarely change magnification "on the fly".
    For some reason green ACOG's don't blur as bad as red and not nearly as bad as an Aimpoint.

User Tag List