Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: US SOF kill ISIS commander, capture his wife

Quote Originally Posted by Steven T View Post
    Great job by the guys who performed it, but I feel it shouldn't have been reported.

Would have been better to not let Isis know somebody might show up and grab them.
    I'm not for political opportunism ruining opsec, but it does my heart good to know some of these bastards might not be sleeping well because they know we can show up and grab them. Good job to those who did it!
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Great job by the guys who performed it, but I feel it shouldn't have been reported.

Would have been better to not let Isis know somebody might show up and grab them.

O well now the administration can claim a victory, so I guess OPSEC isn't that important.
    I have no idea why we let this stuff out. The public doesn't need to know, and ISIS really doesn't. Should have left some Iranian SF gear behind (or a Garland PD motor helmet) and called it good. A confused enemy is far better than an informed public for political points.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    (or a Garland PD motor helmet) and called it good.
    Im at my daughters dance recital. I lol'd...now my wife is pissed.

I have no idea why we let this stuff out. The public doesn't need to know, and ISIS really doesn't. Should have left some Iranian SF gear behind (or a Garland PD motor helmet) and called it good. A confused enemy is far better than an informed public for political points.
    A Garland motor helmet would be outstanding! I'm glad I wasn't sipping coffee.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

O well now the administration can claim a victory, so I guess OPSEC isn't that important.
    I'm not an expert by any means, but it seems to me that the political impact of something like this goes both ways. That is, the enemy gets a political blow, too. And near as I can tell, the Isis kind of organization is especially vulnerable to the appearance of weakness, not only to their people and the sister organizations that have pledged loyalty when Isis appeared strong, but to prospective members and supporters as well, the ideological and opportunistic recruiting that they seem to do. On the other hand, if there's a solid leadership bench here, they can capitalize on the raid, make hay of this dude's martyrdom, and actually strengthen morale. But with Isis taking proud credit of botched jobs like Garland, I sense desperation, not depth of leadership talent.

Anyway, speculation aside, I suspect this announcement is part of a defensible strategy, trading some opsec and future surprise for potentially deep impact in Isis's morale, recruiting, and support, and maximizing the raid's impact on Isis's organizational stability.

Now, if Obama comes out and somehow gives Hillary credit for this........
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MDS View Post
    I'm not an expert by any means, but it seems to me that the political impact of something like this goes both ways. That is, the enemy gets a political blow, too. And near as I can tell, the Isis kind of organization is especially vulnerable to the appearance of weakness, not only to their people and the sister organizations that have pledged loyalty when Isis appeared strong, but to prospective members and supporters as well, the ideological and opportunistic recruiting that they seem to do. On the other hand, if there's a solid leadership bench here, they can capitalize on the raid, make hay of this dude's martyrdom, and actually strengthen morale. But with Isis taking proud credit of botched jobs like Garland, I sense desperation, not depth of leadership talent.

Anyway, speculation aside, I suspect this announcement is part of a defensible strategy, trading some opsec and future surprise for potentially deep impact in Isis's morale, recruiting, and support, and maximizing the raid's impact on Isis's organizational stability.

It is worth mentioning that al Baghdadi (the original caliph of the ISIS caliphate) is supposedly paralyzed following a drone strike that took place a couple months ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Bak...dadi#Paralysis

Quote Originally Posted by MDS View Post

Even if you want to go that route, great. "A reserve Army National Guard unit struck at the heart of ISIS. While this unit is normally not tasked for these kind of missions, they were in the area working on a humanitarian mission feeding refugees when they were alerted to the opportunity to rescue a Yazidi sex slave. They did an exceptional job and show capabilities and professionalism of all units in the United States military, and not just highly specialized special operations units normally used for this type of mission."

Much better press release.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    According to Brian Williams , they used Dectonics .45s .
    Quote Originally Posted by mc1911 View Post
    The Delta commander actually invited Brian along . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    In 10 years, we will learn that Brian WAS the ground commander.

And great JOB!
    I'm sure you all think you're funny but none of this is remotely true and I have that straight from Karl Lippard.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Even if you want to go that route, great. "A reserve Army National Guard unit struck at the heart of ISIS. While this unit is normally not tasked for these kind of missions, they were in the area working on a humanitarian mission feeding refugees when they were alerted to the opportunity to rescue a Yazidi sex slave. They did an exceptional job and show capabilities and professionalism of all units in the United States military, and not just highly specialized special operations units normally used for this type of mission."

Much better press release.
    Pretty sure even ISIS knows that there aren't many reservists deploying as part of the ~3000 strong military "advisor" team in Iraq :P

Given that the troops hostile to ISIS present in their territory right now consist of the Iraqi army, the Syrian army, the Kurds, Hezbollah, and our advisors.... they probably are able to guess who would have the ability to pull off a raid of that scope and nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Pretty sure even ISIS knows that there aren't many reservists deploying as part of the ~3000 strong military "advisor" team in Iraq :P

Given that the troops hostile to ISIS present in their territory right now consist of the Iraqi army, the Syrian army, the Kurds, Hezbollah, and our advisors.... they probably are able to guess who would have the ability to pull off a raid of that scope and nature.
    Perhaps a better release would be to say that a female unit pulled the job off. IS seems unaturally afraid of the Kurdish women fighters. The IS jihadis are told that if a "lower creature" like a woman kills them, they go to hell, not heaven, no virgins. The Kurdish women think its hilarious.
    Last edited by Malamute; 05-16-2015 at 08:36 PM.

User Tag List