Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns for Girls

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    nevah mind.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I don't want to take part in the pp. 4-6 discussion, but I really was interested in what and how women actually carry. My wife is working on this issue and like it or not she looks to me to dig up info. Can we split off the discussion of misogyny on gun forums part?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    None of it is mean-spirited or rude or even "offensive" in the sense of someone setting out to annoy other people. Or being 'sexist' in a negative way. It's simply assumptions from good people who haven't thought it through and don't know any better.
    Hi Kathy: I think we discussed this once. The attitude we sometimes see is called 'benevolent sexism'. It implies an inferiority in some dimension for women and that men have to dominate them to take 'care' of them. That is common in the gun world (and of course, elsewhere).

I'm sure Tam and Kathy have a zillion anecdotes. I've seen idiots aplenty. At a local IDPA match, a very competent police or military woman (I forget) was handling a Beretta 92. An idiot comes up and says "You need a pink gun". She says - I shoot real guns. Idiots abound on gender and racial issues. One of our participants is an retired Marine colonel. He is not a standard WASP. So another idiot says - where are you from? Implying some lower form of foreigner (geez). The reply was: America.

Some good books by women on self-defense and gun control are full of examples of condescending attitudes.

http://www.amazon.com/Shooters-Myths.../dp/0195306449
    Abigail A. Kohn - an anthropologist. Met her at an ASC meeting and dinner with Don Kates.

http://www.amazon.com/Real-Knockouts.../dp/0814755771
    Martha McCaughey

I agree that Insights does a great job for anyone. In my area, KRtraining.com does too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I don't want to take part in the pp. 4-6 discussion, but I really was interested in what and how women actually carry. My wife is working on this issue and like it or not she looks to me to dig up info. Can we split off the discussion of misogyny on gun forums part?
    Pocket: Sig P238
    Deep conceal: Springfield EMP AIWB
    Normal conceal: 4.25" 9mm 2011 AIWB
    Normal now: Open carry strong side 2011 + pocket P238 because AIWB makes me look like I have a belly. :/

I am actually very interested to learn about the two things going on in this thread , but I think they should be split off for better learning value and not detracting from one another.
    Last edited by Colt191145lover; 05-16-2015 at 04:06 PM. Reason: oops

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Genghis Khan school of debate. Submit or be relentlessly attacked.
    You joke, but it's utterly exhausting.

I've lost count of the number of times I've wandered into a thread and had something to say... until I saw you bombarding people. That's when I slowly back out of the thread because it just isn't worth it. I know that for any thoughtful point I try to compose, you'll respond with repeated attacks and insults. So I say "fuck it," and wander on to hopefully find another topic where you aren't thread-shitting.

I know I'm not the only person who feels this way, so congratulations on single-handedly decreasing thoughtful member participation in assorted threads.

P-F seems to be your free therapy where you just unleash your aggression on whoever dares to have a different opinion than you... or god forbid: people who are interested in a product that you think is dumb. Because everyone knows by this point that if you think a product is dumb, you'll spend no less than a dozen posts repeatedly saying so.

You seem to lack any ability to say "I disagree with you, and here's why." Instead it's "You're stupid / You're a whiner / You're an idiot / You're a sucker / I'm awesomer than you / blablabla."
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

I vote that:

1) We have a thread where people can ask what their SOs are carrying without other people getting but hurt over it
    2) We have a thread to talk about how off-putting cis males are with their privilege and sexism
    3) We have another airing of the grievances to cover how much of a toolbag...no, toolbox...that Jody is.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Didn't mean to offend anyone or imply anything. Just curious what females on this forum and those associated with other members carried or shot. Thought it might be a good resource for new female shooters or those looking for something different. Like it or not, a lot of guns are not female friendly or ideal. That's just a fact. Females have smaller hands & different body types, unless you're Rosie O'Donnell.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    Females have smaller hands & different body types, unless you're Rosie O'Donnell.
    I thought we were talking about females. Now I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    Didn't mean to offend anyone or imply anything. Just curious what females on this forum and those associated with other members carried or shot. Thought it might be a good resource for new female shooters or those looking for something different. Like it or not, a lot of guns are not female friendly or ideal. That's just a fact. Females have smaller hands & different body types, unless you're Rosie O'Donnell.
    Guys, no one is arguing women have the exact same physical features as men. That's a strawman of an argument.

The point was about the assumptions here. Not everyone on the forum is a straight male (let's see the girl guns of our significant others), and acting like it's boys only club time pushes out those who don't conform.

User Tag List