Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ballistic discussion 9mm & .40 for duty use

In some agencies, 9mm pistols were issued to personnel who were unable to qualify with the .40 model. Unfortunately, that creates a different perception about these cartridges for some.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Based on the conversations I have had with a variety of LE folks out west (mountain west not CA), and thinking about human nature, I bet the .40 back to 9 switch is a lot tougher sell than going from 9 to .40.

The initial sale going from 9 to .40 was "getting .45 performance with more cartridges." Especially with Glock facilitating the transition with the high cap 9 mags underwriting the process, what was not to like. I suspect going the other way may feel like a demotion to many, after hearing for years how much better .40 was than 9.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Based on the conversations I have had with a variety of LE folks out west (mountain west not CA), and thinking about human nature, I bet the .40 back to 9 switch is a lot tougher sell than going from 9 to .40.

The initial sale going from 9 to .40 was "getting .45 performance with more cartridges." Especially with Glock facilitating the transition with the high cap 9 mags underwriting the process, what was not to like. I suspect going the other way may feel like a demotion to many, after hearing for years how much better .40 was than 9.
    I don't know that I would transition back if the department has (1) a pistol that handles the .40 well; (2) a good training program; and (3) the money for the extra ammo costs. The .40 is probably currently overall a marginally (and I stress "currently" and "marginally") better cartridge than the 9, especially if you might be called upon to dispatch large animals with your service weapon on occasion.

Now, if you use pistols that have proven problematic with the .40, need to save money on ammo costs, or have a material portion of your officers flinching before they pull the trigger then transitioning makes all the sense in the world. (And while I have never heard a department chief admit that his or her officers flinch, I have seen a lot of cops do exactly that when firing .40's. I live on the East coast, though, and many of the local departments spend very little on training which I think is the primary reason for the flinching).

Thanks folks...I appreciate the understanding and hope my apologies are in fact accepted as tonight?...I had pride for dinner and dinner for dessert. LOL!

Now if I can stay on top of my sugar levels things should be fine.

Thanks again and L8R, Bill.

User Tag List