Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Article: Are "Too Many" People Dying from Police Use of Force?

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    That being stated....the core problem is that the news media is a business.
    True. Point taken, GardoneVT. Still, I hate to think it's literally no-win. If that's true, then it means the community and the police are just destined to forever be "enemies," content to think the worst of each other. That makes me depressed. :-(

P.S. - I've found a few unlikely recipients to be more interested in the message than I expected, once I took the time to explain things to them. It does take time though. Time, effort, patience...
    www.CitizensSafety.com | www.CitizensSafetyOnline.com
    | Learn more. Plan well. Fear less.|

I've made amazing headway with some really pissed off people over the years, by listening, and explaining.

Too many people take a "fuck those guys" attitude, on both side of the divide.
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 05-19-2015 at 06:49 AM.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Grapevine PD released a video describing an officer involved shooting. In it, the Chief patiently walks the viewer through the dash cam video, and explains everything that happens in detail. I haven't listened to his narration in total, but it seemed like an interesting approach at increasing understanding of what happened.

Edit: I just watched the entire video. Very well composed, and concisely explained.
    Last edited by Chance; 05-18-2015 at 10:00 PM.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

The hand-holding approach may be what is required but then you have some of the most vocal of certain anti-LE communities who refuse to listen.

Ive sat explained my actions to people many yimes because they were upset and I wanted to take the situation down a few notches, some listen and understand. There is always a segment that refused to listen or understand in anyway. There is no getting through to some people so the eventual stance becomes "screw them."

The media refuses to listen to LE or shine anything but a negative light on LE. Hell, msnbc and cnn are so seriously anti-LE they refuse to report on anything positive. Thats just sad.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany Johnson View Post
    True. Point taken, GardoneVT. Still, I hate to think it's literally no-win. If that's true, then it means the community and the police are just destined to forever be "enemies," content to think the worst of each other. That makes me depressed. :-(
    It's not a no-win. Yes, people have right to know what's going on with LE and believe that criminal elements in LE will face charges. But those that don't trust the police need to admit that there are some really bad people out there who deservedly get shot by LE. Starting from those two positions there can be dialogue.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I've made amazing headway with some really pissed off people over the years, by listening, and explaining.

Too many people take a "fuck those guys" attitude, on both side of the divide.
    That, in my opinion, is the absolute key to "winning hearts and minds" and converting people from being skeptical of the police to being ardent supporters.

I think a big part of the problem is not policing, but statutory and policy-making problems. The police are the public face of enforcement, and are a more visible target. But the media and the public have to look at what is causing the confrontations. Whether it's Baltimore, Ferguson, Waco, or Springfield, VA, each area has it's own community problems, laws, policies, policing culture, and solutions (or lack of solutions).

Some communities give police near total autonomy, others have stricter policies. By lobbying for policy changes or statutory or legislative changes or budgetary changes, I think we can improve the enforcement priorities and set better policies on use of force. That, and promoting all the good things police do in our community, can help improve the image of policing.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    I think a big part of the problem is not policing, but statutory and policy-making problems. The police are the public face of enforcement, and are a more visible target. But the media and the public have to look at what is causing the confrontations. Whether it's Baltimore, Ferguson, Waco, or Springfield, VA, each area has it's own community problems, laws, policies, policing culture, and solutions (or lack of solutions).

Some communities give police near total autonomy, others have stricter policies. By lobbying for policy changes or statutory or legislative changes or budgetary changes, I think we can improve the enforcement priorities and set better policies on use of force. That, and promoting all the good things police do in our community, can help improve the image of policing.
    Cody
    Which is why I have said repeatedly that people get the police they vote for, via voting in the folks that make policy, set budgets, and sign checks.

The Po-po do none of those things.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post

Cody
    As Chuck stated, essentially, you get the police you vote for.

If you keep voting in left-leaning politicians your are going to get what does not work (think any large city) if you vote in right-leaning politicians you get what you see in the counties and suburbs (hard on smallest crime).
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    As Chuck stated, essentially, you get the police you vote for.

If you keep voting in left-leaning politicians your are going to get what does not work (think any large city) if you vote in right-leaning politicians you get what you see in the counties and suburbs (hard on smallest crime).
    Voodoo,
    Engaging in a blame game does not help the conversation. Both parties are guilty of screwing things up. Republicans have been pushing a law and order agenda for decades and pushing police to crack down harder on crime. Where do you think mandatory minimums came from?... They didn't come from Democrats. on the other hand the Democrats have been afraid to appear soft on crime and go along with sometimes stupid legislation. As citizens we need to have a conversation about making the smartest decisions based on facts and tested results, experience and solid analysis instead of demagoguery and partisanship.

We need to take off our party hats and get serious rather than blindly repeat a party position constructed to win voters and win elections.

One of the big problems is the political demagoguery is designed to win elections, not actually run government.

Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

User Tag List