Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: 1sthand commentary from someone who defended himself in a home invasion attempt

Other thing to consider - access. might be a good idea to have a backup firearm stored at a trusted friends/relatives house.

This is quite an exceptional thread. I can't recall anything quite like it; pretty much ever.

Shifting gears to some hardware items to get out of the way:

Connector?

Sights?

Did you use your sights?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    I'm curious how this works in anti-gun jurisdictions. I'd imagine a self defense case in LA/DC/NYC/Boston means the defenders gun goes bye bye for good. Hopefully that's an incorrect assessment.
    It depends in my area. Mine was gone for so long because the families attorney had a Superior Court judge sign an order to hold ALL the evidence for 2 years. I had also arrested the guys wife after she tried to enter the scene a few times and that charge also needed to be dealt with. At the conclusion of that they waited an additional 6 months to dispose of everything. My wife was contacted by the evidence room guy and she was able to secure the firearm after having it properly transferred through a FFL. She gave it to me on the 3 year anniversary of the incident.

Otherwise, some other guys who used their personally owned AR's in a situation got theirs back as soon as it came back from the SBI lab. There was no "hold" on them from the family attorney so they got them back quick. Others have also gotten their issued weapons back pretty quick. I want to say that all those weapons were back to the officers within 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    This is quite an exceptional thread. I can't recall anything quite like it; pretty much ever.

Shifting gears to some hardware items to get out of the way:

Connector?

Sights?

Did you use your sights?
    . Connector

Ameriglo i-dot Pros with orange front

Not in a traditional sense. Muscle memory, brought the hand gun from low ready into shooting position and point and shoot after the freeze command did not result in any change. Orange front dot was in place. At approximately 7 feet there was no need to sit and line up a shot. Just react/respond to the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I once had to hand one of my BUGs to a friend to go home with. She was involved in a mess of an armed robbery off-duty, she was injured but not enough to be in the hospital, and she had only the gun she was issued. Her job wasn't going to give her another one since it was Friday night/Sat morning at about 0230hrs, and that sort of thing could be taken care of next week.

Fortunately she had been on the job long enough to know how to run a wheelgun and speedloaders.

Anyway, IMHO, best not to be stuck in such a situation at O-dark-30 if one can avoid it.
    LSP generally had a firearms instructor participate in OIS investigations to assist the Detectives. Regional firearms instructors were assigned a couple of guns specifically to issue to troopers who had to surrender theirs after a shooting. An officer involved in a justified shooting shouldn't go home with an empty holster. Pet peeve of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    LSP generally had a firearms instructor participate in OIS investigations to assist the Detectives. Regional firearms instructors were assigned a couple of guns specifically to issue to troopers who had to surrender theirs after a shooting. An officer involved in a justified shooting shouldn't go home with an empty holster. Pet peeve of mine.
    Amen! I went home without one...I replaced it when I got home with a Glock 19 but was quickly handed another G 21 once their "oversight" was realized. It also happened to one of my friends in a very large agency near me. I think that happens more than we realize but it reaks of mistrust on behalf of the admin.

Agreed, and I was the guy for awhile that made sure that happened, even if I had to hand someone one of my extras to get them by. I've more than once taken my duty gun out of my holster and placed it in the other officer's holster in the field when I was right there, I've been told by the folks involved that this gave them a tremendous sense of relief in a very stressful time. If not under those circumstances I've driven people to the station, opened up the armory, and given them a new to them (I kept several test fired and proven, then set aside, on hand for emergencies).

In the case in question, the agency the gal worked for let her down and I did what I could to get her by.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

A good friend of mine used to be the PFI for the Newport News PD and his vehicle had a truck vault with several extra M&P's just for that purpose. He would be dispatched to the scene and give them a new pistol as the one used was taken for evidence. I remember thinking every agency should do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_P View Post
    . Connector

Ameriglo i-dot Pros with orange front

Not in a traditional sense. Muscle memory, brought the hand gun from low ready into shooting position and point and shoot after the freeze command did not result in any change. Orange front dot was in place. At approximately 7 feet there was no need to sit and line up a shot. Just react/respond to the situation.
    I left the . connector in my Gen 4 G26 also. Perfectly good trigger.

Thanks for the info on the sights. So basically just a front sight ("orange front dot was in place") index. Good stuff.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I left the . connector in my Gen 4 G26 also. Perfectly good trigger.

Thanks for the info on the sights. So basically just a front sight ("orange front dot was in place") index. Good stuff.
    I agree. It really didn't need anything trigger wise. For a CC handgun the . connector really was perfect. My girlfriend agrees. Same setup on her G26 except she wanted 3 dot night sights instead of the idot pro 2 dots.

And yes, front sight index only.

User Tag List