Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1sthand commentary from someone who defended himself in a home invasion attempt

First thing I noticed moving into my duplex was "damn this door looks flimsy", and better doors than mine aren't the greatest. I agree, the average construction of your front door is quite unimpressive.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I need to write the article that I have been pushed to write for a couple of years now.

Short answer on standard metal doors in residential construction; unless beefed up they are no better than a wood door, they split down the middle and open right up.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Thanks for posting this. A lot of food for thought.

I note that my default answer of "dog" has been proven correct again
    #RESIST

Mike_P, thank you for sharing your experiences with the group. Do you recall any issues with your hearing, especially when calling 911?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I need to write the article that I have been pushed to write for a couple of years now.

Short answer on standard metal doors in residential construction; unless beefed up they are no better than a wood door, they split down the middle and open right up.
    Working a job at a big box hardware store taught me that custom order hardwood doors are actually better constructed & more expensive then metal options.

Another fun fact-your door locks, depending on brand, can be re-keyed by anyone with a basic tool and a copy of the original.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter

Please share. I have hardened several of my doors but I am looking for ideas for a too ornamental front door and double door to deck.

Another lock fact. The strike plate for the door handle bolt has a little tab. When you close your door slowly you should hear two clicks. If you don't then when your door is locked it can be opened with a credit card. You can bend that tab so you hear click click. That is the main bolt passing the tab then the locking bolt passing the tab.
    Also extra long screws at the door hinges and strike plate that go through the door frame and into the 2x4.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_P View Post
    It was only after the fact that I learned that they had previously struck some other homes in the area. If I had let them know someone was home then they would have moved on. As much as I wish it on nobody, I am happier it was me rather than a mother with her kids or an elderly lady/couple or someone who wasn't in a position to defend themselves as I was.
    Well done and glad you're okay. I completely agree with that sentiment. I'm in that situation - one neighbor is a couple in their 70's and the other a single mom. Plus, if for some reason I've been targeted I don't want them to return when I'm not there and other family members are. I routinely ignore people at my door unless I know them or it's a scheduled appointment.

We have gangs here who also do this stuff in broad daylight. If you answer they'll ask about a dirt bike for sale or some nonsense. If not they either kick in the front door or move to the back. And if they find your car keys you can expect them to borrow it as well.

I've busted down a lot of doors and unless the jamb is hardened as well, the door style makes no difference. All the doors in the housing projects were steel but were not hard to break in. In a way the worst were hollow core entry doors. A near miss on locks/knobs results in a hole in the door and no more.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List