Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1sthand commentary from someone who defended himself in a home invasion attempt

1sthand commentary from someone who defended himself in a home invasion attempt

Posted with full permission, the guy would be happy to register and answer your polite questions

And to answer any questions, I was fully protected by the castle doctrine. North Carolina is where the event took place and December of the year prior, some changes to the doctrine occured which protected me even further.

On Friday June 1st, 2012 at approximately 4:40pm I was at home in my dining room. Sitting at the table working on a database for my unit. The dining room is at the front of the house, with a window next to my front door. The Blinds were approximately half way up, it was still bright out so no lights were on. It was a bit cloudy and rain was on/off.

While sitting there doing my work, someone approached my door. They proceeded to begin ringing the bell very quickly, as well as pounding on the door. This set my dog off. Like completely off in a way I have only seen him act once in the past (When he lead police to an armed man mugging people, which is a completely different story.) My dog was at that window with the blinds part way up barking at the person, so I got up and looked through the peep hole. At the door was a late teens/early 20's looking African American male. He had nothing in his hands and was not acting as if there was an emergency. There was a vehicle parked in my drive way still running. Upon assessing the situation I deemed there was no emergency and he was not selling anything. I made the decision not to answer my door, as I do not answer if I do not know who it is or if they are there going door to door.

The slamming on the door and ringing of the bell lasted approximately 3 minutes or so. The person stopped and went back to the car. He entered the rear passenger door and they slowly backed out of my drive way. My dog had stopped barking and was just growling, I watched the car as it left to make sure they were just going to each house. They backed out and went around the corner. (I lived on the corner) The struck me as odd, because the road they went down is a dead end. The hair stuck up on the back of my neck and I just had a feeling. As a citizen and soldier with training, I like to always be ready, and had my EDC weapon with me, in this case a Glock 26 Gen 4, loaded with 147gr Winchester Ranger-T rounds.

After watching the car leave, I quickly went to my bedroom to grab my shoes and take a look around. It was now approximately 4:45pm. I slipped my shoes on (Nike Lunar Glides. Have I mentioned how comfortable they are?) and was about to lift a foot up on the bed to begin tying the first foot when I heard a large bang at my back door. I Immediately dropped what I was doing and took up a defensive position. (Point A in the crappy picture). I was at a corner where I could see the door clearly and they could not see me.

Standing at the low ready at that point, there was a second large bang at the back door. It flew open so hard that not only did the door break the stop behind it, the door knob AND the dead bolt handle put holes in the wall. I brought my gun up and 2 African American males began to enter. I yelled for them to stop freeze. The first male continued to advance towards me.

I let off one round into the head of one of them, who proceeded to do the sack of potatoes thing. The other badguy turned and ran out the door, jumped my fence. I was not going to shoot him in the back as much as I wanted to. I stayed in the home, made sure the door way was clear and nobody was hiding, never went outside or near the body of the downed man.

Once I had made sure the area was clear, I pulled my cell phone while keeping my gun trained on the door and suspect on the ground. I proceeded to call 911, then my girlfriend who was on her way home after picking up her kids at day care, and then my unit to inform them of what happened.

The 911 operator instructed me to stay inside and once the LEOs arrived, to put my gun down and have ID ready. The first Sheriff waited for others to arrive, pulled me out and cleared the house. Made sure my gun was in an area they had access to. Then pretty much every other Sheriff in the county as well as Fireman and EMT arrived at the scene.

Here's my crappy paint work showing a little bit of the layout and where I was.

A side note. there were more than just the 2 bad guys involved. 4 total, the 2 who entered, a female who was in the car, and a 4th male in the car.

As of the time of this post, all are accounted for in prison or... other.

Here was the first news story associated with the incident. There's TONS more you can find online. Including my name which I didn't want released. Luckily my girlfriend and her kids were left out of it.

First ABC news story. (Looks like they finally removed the video. It was pretty intrusive, trying to get shots inside my house and what not.

Edited to add: The people involved were not local (Traveled from Fayetteville and obviously assumed nobody was home since I did not answer. It pisses me off to think they were coming in even with my dog there though.

It did turn out the 4 people were gang related. There were death threats towards me and wanting to fire bomb the house. The Sheriffs showed up at our door at 7pm about 2 nights later and told us we had to move. Could not offer us protection due to reduced man power. We were renting so we quickly found a new place the next day. Sadly our rental company wasn't too happy with what had happened and since it was the first of the month, charged us for that month despite us being moved out on the 4th, as well as the next month after that.

With that said though, one of the Captains from the FD did offer me a job after. He and everyone else were extremely grateful. Turns out the same people broke into his home and roughed up his wife. The one who took the bullet was 21 years old with a 5 page rap sheet so I was told.

#RESIST

I remember seeing this on Arfcom when it happened, but I've since stopped visiting due to the Jesus-Christ-So-Many-Retards syndrome prevalent in the non-tech forums

Hope he's still doing well, sounds like the post-incident mental game wasn't particularly fun as one would normally imagine but by all accounts he's been on top of the game.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Were the thugs armed or unarmed?

And good shoot, job well done.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    I remember seeing this on Arfcom when it happened, but I've since stopped visiting due to the Jesus-Christ-So-Many-Retards syndrome prevalent in the non-tech forums

Hope he's still doing well, sounds like the post-incident mental game wasn't particularly fun as one would normally imagine but by all accounts he's been on top of the game.
    He's reading this thread, just registered here
    #RESIST

I routinely see break-ins during the day when people do not answer the door and also do not make themselves known.

Just an observation. Telling the guy you aren't interested will let them know someone is home. In my area I'd then also call in a suspicious car/person to the cops and have them come look for the vehicle since the behavior is very obviously casing the house for a break-in.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Were the thugs armed or unarmed?
    I believe that the perp that was shot was armed.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I routinely see break-ins during the day when people do not answer the door and also do not make themselves known.

Just an observation. Telling the guy you aren't interested will let them know someone is home. In my area I'd then also call in a suspicious car/person to the cops and have them come look for the vehicle since the behavior is very obviously casing the house for a break-in.
    I need to think about a better way to handle this at my house. Our dog barks ferociously when someone is at the door, and there is no way to quiet him and hold any kind of conversation through the door without physically hauling him away first. I feel vulnerable leaving the house to talk with an unexpected visitor -- especially since getting out the door requires a lot of attention to be focused on keeping the dog inside (reducing the ability to observe or react to the visitor). So I generally ignore them. Sounds like that approach has its downsides, thanks for your post.

Regarding this specific incident, I would have found it very strange that the guy at the front door spent several minutes banging the door and ringing the doorbell. I'm curious what his ruse would've been had the resident come to the door, either right away, or after a couple minutes had elapsed. Not so easy to claim to be a salesman after several minutes of banging...not so easy to claim an emergency if your car is idling in the drive. Who knows, maybe it would've just been oh, sorry man, wrong house. Just makes me wonder whether he would've had a plan to get in the house if someone did answer, or if the sole objective was to determine if someone was home before going in the back. Interesting that the dog wasn't a significant deterrent -- assuming this house wasn't specifically targeted, one might think it'd just be easier to move on to the next one and avoid dealing with the dog.

Normally if you answer the door it's "Is Bob here?" or some other BS, when Bob ain't home they leave.

If little old lady maybe they push their way in.

My advice to people is to yell through the door you are busy and they need to go away.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

"Hang on a minute, almost have this dildo calibrated" *bark bark bark*
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Reason # 102988462938474 why it's good to always have a defensive implement handy.

I'm sorry the OP had to go through that event and I'm happy that all ended relatively well for him. Sucks that he had to pick up and move, but in the end it's probably better.

I am truly shocked that the guys were gang related and had priors.

When is our legal system going to pull its head out of its stinky ass and realize that 1 do over is enough. I'll suggest that instead of having Juvenile hall having first offender hall would be better in the long run. Completely segregate first time offenders and throw education, vocation whatever trading at them. The rest lock up for 100% time. Repeatedly letting these assholes loose and expecting them to behave different is textbook crazy.

User Tag List