Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: 1sthand commentary from someone who defended himself in a home invasion attempt

Wow, that's a pretty eye-opening incident.

I wonder if I might be permitted to share this on another forum I am active on?

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    Wow, that's a pretty eye-opening incident.

I wonder if I might be permitted to share this on another forum I am active on?
    Shoot me a PM or e-mail if you don't mind? Just letting me know where you have in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Agreed, and I was the guy for awhile that made sure that happened, even if I had to hand someone one of my extras to get them by. I've more than once taken my duty gun out of my holster and placed it in the other officer's holster in the field when I was right there, I've been told by the folks involved that this gave them a tremendous sense of relief in a very stressful time. If not under those circumstances I've driven people to the station, opened up the armory, and given them a new to them (I kept several test fired and proven, then set aside, on hand for emergencies).
    Sir that is a fantastic and noble gesture. Handing over your duty weapon to fellow officer in his time of need had life changing positive psychological value. Your actions are highly commendable.

I missed this thread the first time through.

Good job Mike P. !

I am not in favor of using innapropriate force, but I know how difficult it can be to not shoot the guy in the back running away. Very good control on your part, and obviously the right decision.

Also, as you noted, I wouldnt wish this on anyone, as use of force in the U.S. brings problems that most people might not even think of, regardless of the legal correctness of it all.

As another data point, the locals where I work lose their guns for 5 years after a shoot. Go figure.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    Other thing to consider - access. might be a good idea to have a backup firearm stored at a trusted friends/relatives house.
    Shootin' Buddy, perhaps because he carries 1911s, has five as his magic number: One on your hip, one in the safe, one at the local gunsmith's getting whatever done to it, one at Les Baer for an inspection/overhaul, and one stored off-site with a trusted friend or relative.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Shootin' Buddy, perhaps because he carries 1911s, has five as his magic number: One on your hip, one in the safe, one at the local gunsmith's getting whatever done to it, one at Les Baer for an inspection/overhaul, and one stored off-site with a trusted friend or relative.
    So for the non-1911 carrying world, that'd be three guns...?

The concept of storing one off site at a trusted relatives or friends isn't a bad idea. But you'd really have to trust that person.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Five 1911s seems about right

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    So for the non-1911 carrying world, that'd be three guns...?

The concept of storing one off site at a trusted relatives or friends isn't a bad idea. But you'd really have to trust that person.

Beat - you really hit the nail on the head - I should know. I'm referring to what became a nauseatingly long thread I started about "telling the family we are armed." My solution, albeit temporary, was posted the other day. In my case, I will be locking up my guns in my brother-in-law's safe for 30-40 hours while we have our grandchild for a sleepover. IMHO, there is NO ONE I would trust more than this guy. Do I like it? HELL NO! For now, it's keepin the peace.
    Last edited by 11B10; 07-05-2016 at 11:15 AM. Reason: error

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Five 1911s seems about right
    I'm long a couple.
    Ignore Alien Orders

It's far better, if possible, to scare a potential home invader away before he/they break into the house -- where it's likely to get messy.

User Tag List