Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ratted out by the Smell?

Ratted out by the Smell?

We've all probably heard that “concealed means concealed” and are diligent about printing. There is the added dimension of smell that can give you away as a possible “tell”. At a large Christmas party I noticed a particular individual carried the distinct aroma of Hoppes No.9 bore solvent. It dawned on me that sometimes you don’t need a specially trained canine to know someone who is betrayed by the smell of their handgun.

Personally I keep my carry pistol clean and avoid smelly solvents unless it is something like FP-10 that emits a similar aroma to Cinnamon or maybe vanilla. I'd rather walk around smelling like a doughnut than a dirty Glock or a bottle of bore solvent.

If you live in a woke dystopian place full of non-permissive environments that can result in social embarrassment, job loss or legal issues if the wrong folks find out you carry it may be a good idea to conceal your gun’s odor as well as the appearance. Otherwise leave the pistol home in the safe and comply with the self-righteous gun-free pharisees.

Anybody here dip their pistol in Old Spice cologne to avoid discovery?
    “Safety is nice, but it’s not first. Life is first and it’s not safe.”— Jeff Cooper

Many moons ago my teenaged friends and I would semi-jokingly dab a bit of #9 on before we went out. Who doesn’t love the smell of aromatic hydrocarbons—especially #9?

Maybe that dude just never grew up?

Speaking of never growing up, I no longer dab #9, and I don’t use it much—my one bottle having lasted many years—but I did send these to my pals this Christmas.

Name:  IMG_0289.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  63.6 KB

I remember a young lady caller to the G. Gordon Liddy radio show, asking for advice on how to attract a young man who had an interest in guns. I don’t remember all of Liddy’s advice, but he finished with telling her to dab some Hoppe #9 behind her ears.

Site Supporter
    I seent it….Years ago I stopped by a local Israeli restaurant after work without changing or showering. The waitress brought me a complementary desert and in a thick accent told me “your smell reminds me of my brother a mix of dirt, sweat, exhaust and and gun oil”
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I seent it….Years ago I stopped by a local Israeli restaurant after work without changing or showering. The waitress brought me a complementary desert and in a thick accent told me “your smell reminds me of my brother a mix of dirt, sweat, exhaust and and gun oil”
    Which desert did she give you, the Sahara? Oooh, or maybe the exotic Namibian! I imagine either would be dry and overcooked, though…

Sorry, couldn’t help myself.

Site Supporter
    Pedro, from Napoleon Dynamite, insert quote here.

“a mix of dirt, sweat, exhaust and and gun oil”
    Hell, six or so hours on a motorcycle will get you the exact same thing.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Hell, six or so hours on a motorcycle will get you the exact same thing.
    This is very true, though in the Summer in the Southeast it doesn’t take 6 hours.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    I read this and it reminded me to clean some guns. I intentionally dug out the Hoppe's Benchrest to do it. I now have three revolvers that smell mildly of Hoppe's, one of which is in my holster. Geezer walkin' on the wild side...
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

I live in Connecticut and the state food is well deservedly Pizza. The Neapolitan Italy stuff is here is darned good and even more popular than new gun laws. Maybe I'll just rub my bullets with garlic and fit back into the predominant culture.
    Last edited by UpDok; 01-01-2024 at 07:02 PM.
    “Safety is nice, but it’s not first. Life is first and it’s not safe.”— Jeff Cooper

User Tag List