Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Moving to another State with your guns

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Okay, you got me there. But, it does show that folks are generally not the scum bags at gun shows that the progressives and anti gun side make them out to be.
    I agree. 100%.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

As a data point, my wife's CHL took maybe 2 weeks to get. I'm guessing that having an active one from our previous state streamlined the background check.

If you are not going to a specific place for a specific job, the State is your oyster. I'm in Corpus Christi, which admittedly is my hometown, but I've always heard it described as a sleepy little fishing village of 1/4 million + people.

A family friend who just retired from the military bought what sounds like a fortress/compound in the Floresville area outside of San Antonio for probably the same $$ as a good house would be in the city proper. Easy access to the big city, true small town country living.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    As a data point, my wife's CHL took maybe 2 weeks to get. I'm guessing that having an active one from our previous state streamlined the background check.

If you are not going to a specific place for a specific job, the State is your oyster. I'm in Corpus Christi, which admittedly is my hometown, but I've always heard it described as a sleepy little fishing village of 1/4 million + people.

A family friend who just retired from the military bought what sounds like a fortress/compound in the Floresville area outside of San Antonio for probably the same $$ as a good house would be in the city proper. Easy access to the big city, true small town country living.
    I was down in Brownsville recently (work, not on purpose) and they talk about Corpus like its NY.....;-)

You can buy some amazing property for normal person prices in a lot of places that are fairly rural,but within an hour of many of the metropolis's in Texas.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I was down in Brownsville recently (work, not on purpose) and they talk about Corpus like its NY.....;-)

You can buy some amazing property for normal person prices in a lot of places that are fairly rural,but within an hour of many of the metropolis's in Texas.

One of these days I'll take the wife down to the Gladys Porter Zoo. Haven't been in over 15 years.

Yup.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Things are firming up quite nicely so far. We have secured a rental in Austin until December, and we will be moving mid-July. The rental is in Austin, so we will have time to scout and know the area (not to mention finding jobs locally) before committing to buying a property.

Found a LGS that will ship my guns to our residence, so that takes care of traveling through unfriendly states with lots of firearms. Heard some recent stories about a guy who got himself arrested in NJ because some cop spotted a rifle case in the back seat and arrested him even though the trunk was full and the case locked.

Will transfer residency immediately to sever links with CT taxes as soon as possible, so I will apply directly for a TX permit without going the non resident route. The two weeks period somebody mentioned is so low compared to here that is not a problem.

We love Hill Country and will start looking around there, but I prefer to rent for a while, am not one for buying sight unseen as some friends did.

A couple more questions

Does anybody have a recommendation for a good local bank in TX? Possibly that handles trust accounts as well if you know it.

When traveling with a gun, let's say you sleep in West Virginia (which does not recognize CT permits) can I keep the gun next to the bed in the hotel or I have to keep it cased and locked?

Quote Originally Posted by looseduke View Post
    The two weeks period somebody mentioned is so low compared to here that is not a problem.

Just to be clear, I was very surprised at the quick turn-around time. I cannot say whether that is the norm or not.
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Just to be clear, I was very surprised at the quick turn-around time. I cannot say whether that is the norm or not.
    My wife got her CHL last month.
    21 days from the day she submitted fingerprints (final document submitted) to receiving her license in the mail.

I'm finding that renewals are taking longer than new licenses. My renewal took 30 days and others have reported similar times for renewals. I suppose that's a GOOD thing. DPS appears to be prioritizing new licenses over renewing licenses that are not yet expired (in TX you can renew 6 months in advance without losing any "license time").
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List