Page 30 of 59 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Review: Glock 43 w/ Shooting Results

Well, yesterday was enlightening, to say the least. My pal experienced two last-round-failure-to-feed with two different mags with the Taran +2 extenders; and with one of those, I experienced a last-round-failure-to-eject. And, of course, the pistol is printing six inches high @ 20 yards with 147gr HST, 147gr SXT, and 147gr ball, both WW and Remington. Sigh.

I realize that the Wolf extra power mag springs would probably fix the feeding issue on the modified mags- at the cost of one round of capacity- and a higher front sight would fix the POI issue. But frankly, I really don't feel like like putting any more $$ into this thing. In our discussions regarding our respective G43s, LSP552 called it a "special event tool". Indeed; a perfect description. For sure, IF I ever use it the magazines will be six-round OEM and the ammunition standard pressure.

I'm just glad I didn't so much as rack the slide on the second one. Now I can sell/trade it as NIB/unfired-except-for-proof-rounds.

I'm in a love/hate relationship with mine. Admittedly, I have only about 200 rounds through it but my initial impressions are that as far perceived recoil, shooting comfort, followup shots - both the PPS and Shield seemed better to me. That being said, the 43 is lighter and smaller than both of them so I'm trying to figure out if it is an acceptable trade off. I just got some grip tape I'm going to install soon and see if that helps with how "squirmy" it is for me. On a final note, I don't know what is going on with the trigger for me. After a dozen or so rounds, my trigger finger hurts. It almost reminds me of the trigger slap of my PF-9 before I sold that POS off. I thought it was just the heavy trigger and got a ghost edge which only helped a little. I think the distance between the bottom of the trigger and trigger guard frame is much smaller than my other glocks and some how or some way, my finger is getting pinched between the two during recoil. I don't want to alter the frame but am thinking about taking a dremel to the trigger and try to take a 1/16 of and inch off the tip of it.

At this point though - with the PPS so cheap, I almost regret not getting one. I just hate those huge floorplates on the mags and the mag release. I suppose I could get used to each. We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I think the distance between the bottom of the trigger and trigger guard frame is much smaller than my other glocks and some how or some way, my finger is getting pinched between the two during recoil. .
    This is likely your culprit. I have the same issue, with the larger frame sizes, to the point that I took a Dremel to most of my G19s and thinned that area down from the inside. There isn't much to work with there on the G43, but if was going to stick with the piece I'd take a little bit off anyway, and then relieve the undercut where the guard meets the front strap a bit more. You gotta be REAL careful doing either mod, however.

Interestingly enough, the G43 does not "squirm" in my hand. But the Shield damn sure did.

I've had a 43 since September.
    I'm not impressed at all and neither is my wife. She'd rather use her 42 or Shield and I'd rather use my PM9 or PPS.
    Both of us are of the opinion that the 43 pretty much misses in every category when put side by side with the other sub compact single stacks.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Well, yesterday was enlightening, to say the least. My pal experienced two last-round-failure-to-feed with two different mags with the Taran +2 extenders; and with one of those, I experienced a last-round-failure-to-eject. And, of course, the pistol is printing six inches high @ 20 yards with 147gr HST, 147gr SXT, and 147gr ball, both WW and Remington. Sigh.

I realize that the Wolf extra power mag springs would probably fix the feeding issue on the modified mags- at the cost of one round of capacity- and a higher front sight would fix the POI issue. But frankly, I really don't feel like like putting any more $$ into this thing. In our discussions regarding our respective G43s, LSP552 called it a "special event tool". Indeed; a perfect description. For sure, IF I ever use it the magazines will be six-round OEM and the ammunition standard pressure.

I'm just glad I didn't so much as rack the slide on the second one. Now I can sell/trade it as NIB/unfired-except-for-proof-rounds.

I understand your point of view. I think it depends what purpose you intend the 43 for. As a replacement for midsize auto not so much, but as a replacement for a j-frame, superior in almost every respect. I shot a steel challenge with it last night. Various size plates at 15 to 20 yards. Quick recovery from plate to plate but I missed about 20% of my initial shots, i.e., I needed 120 rounds to hit 100 targets. I think I'll improve the percentage as I get more practice with the gun, much of that dealing with the POA/POI issue (mine shoots about 4" high at 25 yards).
    As an older guy who trained on a S&W 5 shot with a 3 inch barrel, and whose world view is still influenced by that, 7 rounds with quick reloads makes me feel that capacity is not an issue.

You haven't had any more problems with backstrap coming off of the PPS and stopping the gun, or wasn't it you? I admit I looked at the PPS about dozen times but the second I see those convoluted baseplates, I put it down and walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    .. as a replacement for a j-frame, superior in almost every respect.
    Seeing as my use for a J frame is a BUG, I'll have to vigorously disagree. No semi-auto has what a revolver does in that capacity... near-immunity to malfunctions created by contact shots. Plus, the revolver's grip is much more tolerant of awkward hand placement during presentations from deeper cover/pockets/etc.

My mistake was considering this piece as a primary carry; it falls short in several areas there, modified magazine issues aside.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    You haven't had any more problems with backstrap coming off of the PPS and stopping the gun, or wasn't it you? I admit I looked at the PPS about dozen times but the second I see those convoluted baseplates, I put it down and walk away.
    The only time that happened was with a PPS that had the backstrap removed and reinstalled multiple times and it flew off while smacking a heavy bag with the slide during some vigorous training.
    Unknown whether the backstrap was installed correctly at the time it came off. It's easy to bend or break the tabs that secure the backstrap if you install it incorrectly.
    I've used my two PPS's hard and never had an issue, but I've never removed the backstrap either.
    There's also a tutorial out there on the 'net on how to drill and pin the backstrap in place (like a P2000) if it really concerns you that much. Some people use a rubber grip sleeve as added insurance.
    I initially had concerns after seeing one come apart but doing my own testing and research it was probably due to a screwed up reinstall.

I've seen way more issues with (+) Glock magazine floorplates (aftermarket and factory) spontaneously disassembling themselves than I have PPS backstraps or floorplates being an issue. And Glock "single stack" mags are notoriously iffy in my experience.
    A Glock 26 or 17, hell yea sign me up. My wife likes her 42 for her morning walk. Anything else... mehhh.

My 43 has to the the most ammo sensitive pistol I've owned, only rivaled by a POS Kahr P380 I had long ago.
    I'd rather take my chances on the remote chance I'll break the backstrap smacking some scrote on the head with my PPS versus the 43 which may or may not work depending on the barometric pressure currently being exerted on the magazine springs.
    Last edited by JodyH; 11-23-2015 at 09:48 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I like my PPS, but the person that designed the base plates must have been a sadist.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    The only time that happened was with a PPS that had the backstrap removed and reinstalled multiple times and it flew off while smacking a heavy bag with the slide during some vigorous training.
    Unknown whether the backstrap was installed correctly at the time it came off. It's easy to bend or break the tabs that secure the backstrap if you install it incorrectly.
    I've used my two PPS's hard and never had an issue, but I've never removed the backstrap either.
    There's also a tutorial out there on the 'net on how to drill and pin the backstrap in place (like a P2000) if it really concerns you that much. Some people use a rubber grip sleeve as added insurance.
    I initially had concerns after seeing one come apart but doing my own testing and research it was probably due to a screwed up reinstall.

I've seen way more issues with (+) Glock magazine floorplates (aftermarket and factory) spontaneously disassembling themselves than I have PPS backstraps or floorplates being an issue. And Glock "single stack" mags are notoriously iffy in my experience.
    A Glock 26 or 17, hell yea sign me up. My wife likes her 42 for her morning walk. Anything else... mehhh.

My 43 has to the the most ammo sensitive pistol I've owned, only rivaled by a POS Kahr P380 I had long ago.
    I'd rather take my chances on the remote chance I'll break the backstrap smacking some scrote on the head with my PPS versus the 43 which may or may not work depending on the barometric pressure currently being exerted on the magazine springs.
    Why don't you send your 43 back to Glock for repair?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List